Cpls. Derek Wood and David Howes

At least 4 UDR soldiers, a lad from the QLR and a cop that I can think of off the top of my head. Plus at least one more UDR soldier after Howes and Woods. All of them were murdered.
Reginald McCollum was in the year above me at school in Cookstown, we were both in the school Cadet detachment and determined to join up. May 1994 last seen eating a bag of chips at 0230 after a mates stag do in Armagh. Tortured for six hours, shot nine times and the body then booby trapped to try and get whoever was recovering the body. RIP

Reginald McCollum was in the year above me at school in Cookstown, we were both in the school Cadet detachment and determined to join up. May 1994 last seen eating a bag of chips at 0230 after a mates stag do in Armagh. Tortured for six hours, shot nine times and the body then booby trapped to try and get whoever was recovering the body. RIP
I can't believe I forgot about him. The theory at the time was that he dropped his ID card while ordering the chips and some people who saw it kept him there talking while another one went to get the Provos.

Add 1x R IRISH to the list then.

Re. the last couple of posts: it makes me very angry to read these and then consider the current rush to portray the perpetrators and their cohort as honourable freedom fighters - especially given the zeal for the prosecution of ex-servicemen who are now very old indeed.

Re. the last couple of posts: it makes me very angry to read these and then consider the current rush to portray the perpetrators and their cohort as honourable freedom fighters - especially given the zeal for the prosecution of ex-servicemen who are now very old indeed.
One that I like to throw out when I hear people trying to push the PSF/PIRA re-writing history stuff is that PIRA murdered every single soldier or police officer they took alive, making them the only organisation in recent history that has done that. Not even ISIS murdered everyone they captured.

Is theee a current rush to protray them as freedom fighters ?

I can't believe I forgot about him. The theory at the time was that he dropped his ID card while ordering the chips and some people who saw it kept him there talking while another one went to get the Provos.

Add 1x R IRISH to the list then.
Jeez, just read Lost Lives - he is 3486.
Brother (mortar attack on Keady RUC station) and gran (bomb in her farmyard ffs) both fatalities too.

That odious creep John McDonnell for a start. Potentially, he could be at the heart of the British Government this year, despite his suggestion that it was “the actions of the IRA that brought about ‘peace’ in Northern Ireland”. He is on record saying that, the Marxist piece of filth.

Edited to add: RIP to the two lads who are the subject of this thread and all the others murdered by these so called freedom fighters.

Last edited:
Charlie One blows the lid completely off JCUNI and the SCTs.
He's mega in breach of the OSA and can never set foot back on the mainland/NI or he'll be lifted.
HMG tried to stop the publication but it just aided the circulation of his book which is usually how it goes.
The back story and incidentals are a bit much and far-fetched as he was only a bleep but the classified shit he discloses is gen, damaging and embarrassing.
Whoever DV'd and cleared Hartnett for the SCTs was nuts.
An average book but lots of interesting snippets that only a small % knew about.
The author was in 10yrs+ after the Del and Dave episode so his lnowledge is 2nd/3rd hand int but that's all most of us get anyway.
Minister of Defence asks publishers to halt distribution of new book Charlie One
I was always amazed about the number of signallers attached.. There were tonnes of 'em.

When I worked at JCUNI I said during my leaving speech that inevitably someone would write a book. Cue much surprise, wailing and threats. My reasoning was that everything goes public if you wait long enough. If you tried to expose Bletchley Park/work on Enigma in the 1940's you would have been hung but now its a tourist attraction!
No matter how secret things will get out eventually, its just a matter of time. Sean Hartnett would not have been privy to anything that at least a thousand other people knew. (took fifteen years for him to prove me right)

When I worked at JCUNI I said during my leaving speech that inevitably someone would write a book. Cue much surprise, wailing and threats. My reasoning was that everything goes public if you wait long enough. If you tried to expose Bletchley Park/work on Enigma in the 1940's you would have been hung but now its a tourist attraction!
No matter how secret things will get out eventually, its just a matter of time. Sean Hartnett would not have been privy to anything that at least a thousand other people knew. (took fifteen years for him to prove me right)
It was guaranteed to happen eventually.

By using HMF rather than recruiting their own (cheap and motivated labour) the Lett Office shot themselves in the foot.
Whistleblowers come and go in all sectors.
Money rather than actual whistleblowing is probably the point here.
Lots and lots of dodgy stuff went on over there as I imagine quite a few arrseholes have first hand knowledge of.

Checking sat-phots of the old locs on google it seem's that the majority of unit hangouts have now moved elsewhere.
The units, covers and game has changed since my day.

Lett Office, that's two words I haven't heard in a long time!
hehe.

Still not on google either- I check once every blue moon.
That's how I found out about the Hartnett book and HMG's attempt to shut it/him down.

Something's do stay known to the few (not the many) at the end of the day.

All the best.