Cpls. Derek Wood and David Howes

I am not sure if this is the right forum but here goes.

As you might know tomorrow is the 30th anniversary of the dreadful murders of Cpls David Howes and Derek Wood (Royal Signals) in Belfast.

Derek is buried near me and today I went to the cemetery (I can't make tomorrow as I start a new job on that day) to pay respects and leave a card that I had made up as shown here.

It was cold and quiet making it all the more sombre. I left a note as you can see in the photo. I am sure there will be family there tomorrow and it is now time to leave them to grieve but hopefully that Derek (and Dave) are not forgotten stays with them too. I feel so sad for them.

Derek - 18-3-2018 - V3.jpg

Last edited:
It was a tragic day. RIP to both these lads, the self control that they showed by firing into the air rather than into the crowd was an example to us all, in humanity.

At least 1 of that pair was a "big it up" mong. After that incident the word went out (orders) shoot the fcku who you like provided there is a threat to life. Defeated NI terrorism in the end until Blair created an international huggy amnesty for terrorist murders. History is the judge.

At least 1 of that pair was a "big it up" mong. After that incident the word went out (orders) shoot the fcku who you like provided there is a threat to life. Defeated NI terrorism in the end until Blair created an international huggy amnesty for terrorist murders. History is the judge.
I take you knew one or both of them personally to make a statement like that?

On ROPS
On ROPs
It brought home the importance of checking OOB everytime before going out and knowing how to properly use your vehicle, if nothing else...
Oh and not having any second thoughts about going through all your ammunition if the case so desires.
RIP Del and Dave

Last edited:
I take you knew one or both of them personally to make a statement like that?
Yes. I also knew the pathetic NI security advisory policy of the day. This was an event waiting to happen like the coach bombing of the RGJ bus in the same year. A policy of turning a blind eye to terrorist acts is a "bring it on" to the terrorist murderers. To quote Lord Lowrey "the final court of justice" was the way forward. Now look at the world we have inherited as a result of not following good advice.

That may be so , but no one deserves to die in that way.
John Bunnion "there but for the grace of god go I*. Everybody in the day was totally sickened by this murder. They were swamped by press photographers. There was a so called priest who was deciding whether or not to intervene in order to save life but he decided to get himself on camera administrating the last rites after the act of MURDER was carried out. Shooting them off the streets is the only way forward for people who carry out these acts. This is the man who told me as a child.
GrampsRIC.jpeg

You do yourself, and them, a disservice. This is not the thread for your infantile posting.

You do yourself, and them, a disservice. This is not the thread for your infantile posting.
I stand as things are and were in the day. Service or not is not an issue. I am correct.

John Bunnion "there but for the grace of god go I*. Everybody in the day was totally sickened by this murder. They were swamped by press photographers. There was a so called priest who was deciding whether or not to intervene in order to save life but he decided to get himself on camera administrating the last rites after the act of MURDER was carried out. Shooting them off the streets is the only way forward for people who carry out these acts. This is the man who told me as a child. View attachment 327029
I think you misjudge and misrepresent Fr Alec Reid
Fr Alec Reid death: It was a photo that shocked the world, but from that dark day a sliver of light appeared on the horizon - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

You weren't the only person who served with them. Nor were you the only person who was serving on the day.

You are the only person who chooses to disparage a dead soldier in a memorium thread.
It is only by acknowledging the mistakes made in the past by a different generation that todays generation will learn. If just a single person reads this and learns to have respect for terrorist defence knowing the evil of terrorist acts then my job is done. Terrorism is evil, the growing up people of this country do not recognise this through lack of experience. I do not want anyone in this country to have to learn the hard way. Memorioun or no.

I remember watching this happen on the television with absolute horror at their plight.

Rest in Peace to Cpls David Howes and Derek Wood.

On ROPS
On ROPs
You weren't the only person who served with them. Nor were you the only person who was serving on the day.

You are the only person who chooses to disparage a dead soldier in a memorium thread.
Assholes and opinions, everyone has them but not everyone airs them.
Don't make it what's it not mate.
It's just his personal opinion.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
marathonman Royal Signals 32
polar69 Army Reserve 15
Mutineer AGC, RAPTC and SASC 115