Cpl Tom Hunter RM VC

Tom Durrant.
The only Royal Engineer VC of WW2 was Tom Durrant who won it on Operation Chariot in March 1942 on the raid on St Nazaire.

Took on a German Destroyer with a Lewis gun. Was recommended for the VC by the Captain of the Destroyer. The only Army VC won in a Naval Action.

If any action deserves the term 'Nails' surely this is it.

Tom Hunter was only 21 when he was KIA. Tom Durrant was 23. Both working class boys who were hostilities only soldiers.

Most people of that age in the UK now are barely starting there working lives after University, etc.

QRK2

LE
Tom Durrant.
The only Royal Engineer VC of WW2 was Tom Durrant who won it on Operation Chariot in March 1942 on the raid on St Nazaire.

Took on a German Destroyer with a Lewis gun. Was recommended for the VC by the Captain of the Destroyer. The only Army VC won in a Naval Action.

If any action deserves the term 'Nails' surely this is it.
Durrant was not the only RE VC of WW2, not that it diminishes his actions of course.

Bollocks, not only was Lassen a Dane as stated above, but if you were to class Cpl Hunter as Special Forces then there were seven other Commandos who were awarded the VC, two on Op Chariot alone. However, he was notably the only RM VC of the Second World War.

(Special Service Troops was of course the designation of Commando Forces, not what we today would call SF)
You’re not telling me @Robme is talking bollocks again surely?

Google the Battle of Mirbat.
Thank you for pointing me in the direction of Google. I'm vary familiar with the Battle of Mirbat, but the reason I was unfamiliar with what the OP wrote is that he obviously wasn't. If anyone is going to write about a very courageous soldier, the least that could be done is to honour him by getting his name right.

Slime

LE
Thank you for pointing me in the direction of Google. I'm vary familiar with the Battle of Mirbat, but the reason I was unfamiliar with what the OP wrote is that he obviously wasn't. If anyone is going to write about a very courageous soldier, the least that could be done is to honour him by getting his name right.
I thought exactly the same.
The tale of his manning the field gun single handedly are pretty epic, I will add that I wasn’t surprised that the poster in question got the name wrong.

Tony Jeaps who was CO of 22 SAS Regt at the time has written some excellent books on Op. Storm and Oman. For detailed information try one of them.
S/Sgt Talaiasi Labalaba (not Cpl as I am informed by Wiki), was a member of the BATT located at Mirbat in 1972. 9 members of BATT were attacked by an unknown but significantly larger force of Adoo (estimated to be anything between 500-1,000). Some of the BATT have written their own accounts of the battle, Op. Storm being one of the better ones. Labb as he was known as sprinted around 80mtrs, to take control of the 25-pounder which was maned by local Oman troops who had been routed and engaged the enemy, I am not ex-RA so don't know how many men it normally takes to man a 25-pounder (I am informed 6) but he was on his own (he was later supported by other members of the BATT), he was mortally wounded but continued to engage the Adoo and eventually died. Captain Mike Kealy, a Tpr Tobin and Tpr Sekonaia Takavescame (Tak and Labb were both Fijian) came to his aid Tobin died and Tak was seriously injured. Kealy was awarded the DSO, as a Captain a very rare award, and Labb a Mentioned in Despatches. As previously noted, a bit of a travesty and members of the regiment have for years campaigned to have Labb's award upgraded. The field piece used to be found at Woolwich barracks in London, but I have no idea where it is to be found today.
When I was serving in 1975 in Oman, I managed to make a visit to Mirbat, and saw where the BATT house as well as the fort were located. It was often said that the Adoo with their ancient rifles could shoot the knackers of a fly from any distance, which is what makes what these very brave men so remarkable. S/Sgt Talaiasi Labalaba is buried near the Regimental Plot at the Church in Hereford, i'm not sure about Tobin, as I can't remember. Which in itself is well worth a visit.
Were ‘Maurice’s Boys’ involved?

I think we should be told.

Tony Jeaps who was CO of 22 SAS Regt at the time has written some excellent books on Op. Storm and Oman. For detailed information try one of them.
S/Sgt Talaiasi Labalaba (not Cpl as I am informed by Wiki), was a member of the BATT located at Mirbat in 1972. 9 members of BATT were attacked by an unknown but significantly larger force of Adoo (estimated to be anything between 500-1,000). Some of the BATT have written their own accounts of the battle, Op. Storm being one of the better ones. Labb as he was known as sprinted around 80mtrs, to take control of the 25-pounder which was maned by local Oman troops who had been routed and engaged the enemy, I am not ex-RA so don't know how many men it normally takes to man a 25-pounder (I am informed 6) but he was on his own (he was later supported by other members of the BATT), he was mortally wounded but continued to engage the Adoo and eventually died. Captain Mike Kealy, a Tpr Tobin and Tpr Sekonaia Takavescame (Tak and Labb were both Fijian) came to his aid Tobin died and Tak was seriously injured. Kealy was awarded the DSO, as a Captain a very rare award, and Labb a Mentioned in Despatches. As previously noted, a bit of a travesty and members of the regiment have for years campaigned to have Labb's award upgraded. The field piece used to be found at Woolwich barracks in London, but I have no idea where it is to be found today.
When I was serving in 1975 in Oman, I managed to make a visit to Mirbat, and saw where the BATT house as well as the fort were located. It was often said that the Adoo with their ancient rifles could shoot the knackers of a fly from any distance, which is what makes what these very brave men so remarkable. S/Sgt Talaiasi Labalaba is buried near the Regimental Plot at the Church in Hereford, i'm not sure about Tobin, as I can't remember. Which in itself is well worth a visit.
You can’t even spell Tony Jeapes’ name correctly.....

Are you sure the Adoo were armed with jezails or are you just talking shit as usual?

When are you going to put up a picture of your secret medals?

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
Assuming this isn’t a ‘wah’, in WW2 the Commandos were drawn from the Army initially, then later the Royal Marines too. The other seven were Army ranks.
No Wah, I know little about the RM (although my TC was an ex-marine who transferred to the RCT, who said I should try the AACC, not sure if he had his tongue in cheek) and made an assumption that many Make. So thanks for the information much more useful than the bread-loaf response that the brigade of LMFers came back with.

Latest Threads