Cpl - Sgts Board

Uk_luk8

Swinger
Hi,

What’s more important on your SJAR?

Ive been given my SJAR with a good recommend but not solid. “I would employ him as a supervisor at the earliest opportunity”. However I’ve graded an A- with 1up “High” next employment “Tp Sgt - High”.

There are people I’ve seen with what I would consider stronger recommends, but have only graded a B+. So I’m unsure what would grade better?

I’m not expecting to come off as it’s my first look, but would like to know for future reference.

Thank you.

You want your SJARs to improve with each one, strengthening your chances. If this is your first as a Full Screw, it isn't bad. If you peak early and don't board you'll be screwed on the next one too.

I’m not expecting to come off as it’s my first look, but would like to know for future reference.

Under the old CR, you pretty much needed an A or an O, combined with '' Recommended for promotion now '' to have any chance of picking up your 3rd stripe.

As a full screw, unless you are 1 of the few earmarked flyers. Gradings that you should expect are B / A / A or O / O

There are other vagaries / outliers, but the above will see you on the correct track.

Uk_luk8

Swinger
Thanks for the quick replies.

It seems very odd, my write up is saying I’m working to the level of a Sgt already and is really really good, potential box saying my future lies as a Regimental FofS, yet other people have got what I consider weak write ups, but unbelievable potential boxes with “must promote now”.

I’m grasping now that the write up isn’t really that important nor the grade, more it comes down to the Potential box.

Hopefully my 2RO and 3RO come available I’ll have a better idea.

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for the quick replies.

It seems very odd, my write up is saying I’m working to the level of a Sgt already and is really really good, potential box saying my future lies as a Regimental FofS, yet other people have got what I consider weak write ups, but unbelievable potential boxes with “must promote now”.

I’m grasping now that the write up isn’t really that important nor the grade, more it comes down to the Potential box.

Hopefully my 2RO and 3RO come available I’ll have a better idea.
As a Cpl looking to Sgt a 3RO would be unusual, depending on job.

I would employ as at earliest opportunity is actually quite strong for a first look, especially with an A-/high

I've sat on boards upto Bde level (also R. Signals) and depending on the exact text in the potential an A-/high and would employ at earliest opportunity will score well.

Uk_luk8

Swinger
I did wonder that, it’s currently sat with my CO as we speak.

Im not employed in any special role or attached to anybody either. I’ve never had it before on any of my other reports.

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
I did wonder that, it’s currently sat with my CO as we speak.

Im not employed in any special role or attached to anybody either. I’ve never had it before on any of my other reports.
Likely due to the A- grade...

A- can go against you too, especially if you're not successful in that reporting year. From what you've said, your CoC is trying to get you promoted to bounce onto supervisor selection. The comments are pretty strong. I would only say that if you had a very good chance of promoting.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Rather than ask random people on the interwebs, why not ask your 1RO for an honest appraisal of your likelihood of promotion, ranked against every other candidate in your unit.

Buddy!

War Hero
Hi,

What’s more important on your SJAR?

Ive been given my SJAR with a good recommend but not solid. “I would employ him as a supervisor at the earliest opportunity”. However I’ve graded an A- with 1up “High” next employment “Tp Sgt - High”.

There are people I’ve seen with what I would consider stronger recommends, but have only graded a B+. So I’m unsure what would grade better?

Thank you.

An OPG of A- sounds almost incorrectly high and can easily be caught out if the narrative doesn't match the grade, consequently it may cause you issues next year if you don't promote off this board. Have a good read of JSP 757 for more info.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
His 1RO is unlikely to know.
Sure they will, because part of the process will be a unit grading board run by the CO. In my experience, most 1RO's dont have the moral courage to inform subjects of their realistic chances of promotion, as they can hide failure in the boarding process.

Sure they will, because part of the process will be a unit grading board run by the CO. In my experience, most 1RO's dont have the moral courage to inform subjects of their realistic chances of promotion, as they can hide failure in the boarding process.
He will see his 2RO before it goes to the board, which will give him a chance to see how he's thought of. I don't think he gets to see the 3RO. Either way its merit tempered by experience which makes it difficult to predict how realistic your chances are. Also R Signals has just gone through a massive trade chance (losing operators) so we've even less of a clue.

Uk_luk8

Swinger
Thanks for all of the input and replies, really appreciated.

Ive been doing a bit of research and noticed it’s needs to be sent to Glasgow by the 31st of this month; when they get it will I then be able to read my 2RO? Or will they hold it and finalise it at a later date?

Also I forgot to mention in an earlier post before the “I would employ him as a supervisor at the earliest opportunity” it reads “Cpl XXX receives a very strong recommendation for promotion” then goes onto the supervisor line.

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for all of the input and replies, really appreciated.

Ive been doing a bit of research and noticed it’s needs to be sent to Glasgow by the 31st of this month; when they get it will I then be able to read my 2RO? Or will they hold it and finalise it at a later date?

Also I forgot to mention in an earlier post before the “I would employ him as a supervisor at the earliest opportunity” it reads “Cpl XXX receives a very strong recommendation for promotion” then goes onto the supervisor line.
The 2 (and 3)RO bits will be done before then.

You should be able to see them as soon as they have had the buttons pressed on JPA.

Very strong plus A- is a good place to be.

Good luck.

conjurer

Old-Salt
Cpl to Sgt - High or Exceptional requires a 3RO to confirm that the grading isn’t overegged and therefore carries extra credence through 3 separate reporting officers. I wager there will not be many in % terms with such a high reporting profile

I'd be interested to see what the 2/3RO comments are. If you get a 3RO (it appears that you will) I'd expect to see a tacit agreement followed be promote this man now.
In previous years the B+ have done better percentage wise than the A-, which make no sense but they could have been written by other services. Unless someone walks on water, I go with B+ and lots of strong words.
As an aside I have redacted copy of an SJAR that reads Sgt X is a pocket battleship. This was cited as an absolute no no by the APC roadshow. Said Sgt came off on the subsequent board from that SJAR. So who nows, certainly no me.

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
I'd be interested to see what the 2/3RO comments are. If you get a 3RO (it appears that you will) I'd expect to see a tacit agreement followed be promote this man now.
In previous years the B+ have done better percentage wise than the A-, which make no sense but they could have been written by other services. Unless someone walks on water, I go with B+ and lots of strong words.
As an aside I have redacted copy of an SJAR that reads Sgt X is a pocket battleship. This was cited as an absolute no no by the APC roadshow. Said Sgt came off on the subsequent board from that SJAR. So who nows, certainly no me.
Agreed. Having sat on numerous boards over the years and also having spent many hours writing SJARs and OJARs, I would say unequivocally that the most senior RO narrative on the report (be it 2RO or 3RO) carries most weight, particularly if it is written by someone of your own capbadge. Of course, the grade and recommendations are necessary to cross the threshold in the first place but what is said and how are crucial. “Must”, “Now”, “Ahead of his/her peer group” - with a short statement to say “why” clinch the deal.

Uk_luk8

Swinger
Agreed. Having sat on numerous boards over the years and also having spent many hours writing SJARs and OJARs, I would say unequivocally that the most senior RO narrative on the report (be it 2RO or 3RO) carries most weight, particularly if it is written by someone of your own capbadge. Of course, the grade and recommendations are necessary to cross the threshold in the first place but what is said and how are crucial. “Must”, “Now”, “Ahead of his/her peer group” - with a short statement to say “why” clinch the deal.
Thank you there’s some great information in there; I’ll be sure to look at my 2RO and 3 (if I can) and see if said buzz words/phrases are used.

I’ll also know for future boards now too, putting me in a better place for next year .

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
Thank you there’s some great information in there; I’ll be sure to look at my 2RO and 3 (if I can) and see if said buzz words/phrases are used.

I’ll also know for future boards now too, putting me in a better place for next year .
Sounds like you are willing to listen too, a key skill!

Given this is a Cpl to Sgt board, which hopefully will give you a third banana, it is likely that you will be writing reports in the near future (with luck). Seek advice and help on how and key phrases early, it makes your life easier, as you get what you need for your people, but it also makes you stand out to your 1 up etc. "Takes a keen interest in the careers and reporting fir his team"

Latest Threads