CP Course advice

Discussion in 'Police, PMCs, Security' started by Joker62, Sep 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just been given the chance to attend a CP course as part of my unemployment learning. They've asked that I do one of two tasks. The one I've chosen is this -

"You are required to do a floor plan of a venue of your choice. Research everything about this venue that you feel is relevant as if you were taking a high profile candidate there. You will then be required to deliver this in a 5 minute 1-on-1 presentation on the day."

Now, having taken an IOSH course in the past, I know that the obvious things to look for are access/egress points, safe areas and hazards to life, are there any more points that I would need to look at?

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

2. Pos Ambush sites, are you being channelled?

• Like Like x 1
  3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Client: So who are you? Are you, you, like, some special forces guy or something?
    Joker62: Nah. I'm just a cook.
    Client: A cook?
    Joker62: [Whispering] Just a lowly, lowly cook.
    Client: Oh, my God, we're gonna die.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Any muppet getting kicked out can do a CP course as resettlement.

5. I'm only taking it up as it was thrown my way by my advisor, I'm never going to use it as I'm probably just a little too old to go running around like a teenager, jumping in the way of bullets and the like.

6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Take it for the shits and giggles mate!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Whatever you do don't form an inappropriate relationship with your attractive female client, save her life and then disappear. If you do do this write it all down, someone might want to make a film about it.

8. In no particular order off the top of my swede, and including the points you've mentioned:

Road layout around venue
    Entrance / Exits / Fire escapes
    Any obstacles to the above
    Capacity of venue
    How busy does it get - how many people likely when you arrive
    Lifts or Stairs or escalators
    Parking situation
    Distance from car to venue
    External lines of site (ie windows)
    Seating - can seats be reserved?
    Location of fire extinguishers
    Nearest medical facility
    Do you get phone signal?
    Any dramas using comms in the location?
    Any POC for the onsite security?
    Recent general security situation within the location

The above are just some basic ideas, the real factors that you would consider, can vary massively depending on who you are looking after ie. Salman Rushdie compared to One Direction.

A genuine question for you: are you actually trying to get on the circuit if so why? The market is flooded and without any prior experience, you are very unlikely to get anywhere I'm afraid. Best of luck though, and if I think of anything else I'll post it.

( For info: on the fourth line of your OP you use the word "candidate" seemingly to refer to the person you are protecting, the usual term is "client" or "principal", just in case it wasn't a typo).

9. Cheers for that, Martin. The word "candidate" was taken directly from their email, I used the word "principal" as I do have a (very) slight knowledge of the job, but obviously not enough to do it.

As for trying to get on the circuit, the answer is no, the course was passed to me by the Jobcentre so part of the process of keeping my head above water.

10. No worries Joker, apologies I have seen that you answered my question in your earlier posts whilst I was typing.

Drop me a PM if there is anything else I can help with re security work, if you'd like I'll fill you in on who is hiring etc. Hope none of what I have posted was teaching you to suck eggs.

Final point: Add to my list to check out the toilets (where the are / how to get there / any chance of using the staff bogs).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Salman Rushdie is joining One Direction? Brilliant, I'll let the Sun and Mirror know.....

12. You heard it here first.

13. Now that's a gig I would actually go to.

14. A few other pearls of wisdom:

Interior and exterior lighting - if you recce the location in the day get an idea of how it will look in the evening
    Access control to the venue - what measures are in place
    If a nightclub / restaurant is there a dress code
    Is there a search policy (if so; good from a security point of view, but can VIP and CPO be excluded)
    Is there CCTV, where and is it monitored? (if so; good from a security point of view, but potentially a drama for client privacy)
    Do they have a photography policy (useful for chinning off people wanting pictures taken)
    How used is the location and staff to having VIP's and CP teams around? Do they have any SOPs that they want you to follow.

• Like Like x 1
  15. You've gotta know what colour the boathouse is at Herford.