Coyotes through IR sights

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Dec 10, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Enjoy or dont

• Like Like x 9
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Nice picture, puts my ward 700 to shame!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Great work guys! I hear the bastard things on the neighbouring ranch some nights.

Hate them.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Trijicon Electro-Optics IR Hunter Mk III 60mm Thermal Scope (640 x 480)

A snip at $8,999.00.

Also of interest my bold:
    Export of Thermal Imaging Equipment or related accessories (such as manuals) is strictly regulated by the US Department of State in accordance with the guidelines of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). It is a major crime to ship or carry US manufactured thermal imaging devices outside the borders of the United States, punishable by fines and prison sentences. Ignorance of these regulations will not hold up in court. By purchasing thermal imaging equipment from TNVC, you attest that you will not attempt to export or carry this thermal imaging equipment outside the borders of the United States. Also, it illegal to allow a non-US Citizen to look through US Thermal Imaging Equipment, even on US soil. Again, this is a crime punishable by fines and prison sentences.

Having watched the video, do I have to hand myself in to the nearest US embassy for debriefing?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Near neighbour down the road has some acreage, keeps longhorn's and has a camel, a zebra and a couple of mules too. Night time in the winter months* you hear the coyotes howling over on his property and then you hear some rapid shots.

A fair few of the good old boys I know who night shoot have got the ATN X sight and they love it.

[​IMG]

* Coyotes are pretty lone hunters, but in the winter months they gather in packs - it is assumed that they get into packs so that they are guaranteed kills in the leaner months. They have also been known to take babies from prams in gardens.

6. The twats got one of our family dogs a couple years ago. Is there a GPMG version of that? :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. During my last visit to Poland I was approached by a bloke in a hotel bar (pssst you ain’t seen
    me, right) who was carrying a large suitcase, which turned out to be full of knocked off Russian military gear amongst which was a rather nice russkie nightski sightski - a couple of hundred dollars US to you , squire!

I declined regretfully being sure that it might get me arrested at the airport.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. The majority of cheap stuff knocking around is Gen 1, all the Sov stuff knocking around is deffo gen 1 - Sightmark is a US distrubutor who buys in from the Sov's, they also have a Euroland operation.

You can buy Sov or Chogie Gen 1 for around $200, US made Gen 2 tends to be around the $1400 - $2000 mark, Gen 3 starts at around $3000 and Gen 4 around $4000.

There are now an increasing number of companies making and selling NV sights and viewers based on IR capable mini cameras. These are around about the capability of Gen 3 image intensifiers for a fraction of the price - you can pick them up for a couple of hundred quids or $, my local sports shop is selling a handheld at the moment for $165.

You can make a decent set up yourself for a rifle for about 200 - 250 Quids. It is not rocket science. Cameras have an inbuilt IR filter to filter out ambient IR light to allow a natural picture to be displayed on a monitor. Whip off the lense, or disassemble the body to get behind the lense and you will find the tiny IR filter ...... just remove it and you have an IR sensitive camera. Attach the camera to a monitor, use [preferably] a non-visible IR light source and you have a sneaky IR camera system.

There is a UK forum that waffles about this subject plenty of youtube videos and a few instructibles sites with 'How To' instructions.

DIY Nightvision - www.nightvisionforumuk.com

This bloke is on the ball and at the pointy end of DIY NV gear for hunting - he had a bad accident a while back and has gone quiet, but his vids are worth watching for educational input.

This Trijicon stuff though is thermal even my contact at ATN will only let it go for $3500, too rich for me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Interesting, thanks. I have been thinking about setting up an IR camera on my porch to see what wanders about on there during the night as I keep finding small turds on the tiles. Definitely not rat shit, but something is a regular visitor.

10. You can pick up a cheap and cheerful Sightmark job to mount on a rifle (.22) for a couple of hundred. One of the old bys down the range was daylight sighting one of the ATN's a few months ago, he bought it because he has a coyote problem where he lives out in the sticks. He said that in his excitement to look thru an NV scope he took it out the first night he had it just to look and he said there were two coyotes sitting on the road 100 yards from his house...........cocky b'stards.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Most security cameras are fine for close up so long as they are marketed as [mildly] NV capable, just stick an IR light source out there to assist. However, remove the little IR filter and it is open season on anything that moves.

The bloke in the video link I put up above I do believe got out to 600 yards accurately with his DIY system. Better than most mediocre military stuff.

12. If I could think of a way to do it legally and safely, I'm attracted to the idea of a command-wire initiated Claymore ambush. I'd happily bait it and sit in a comfy OP with a set of NVGs :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  13. Tyk

Tyk War Hero

Bit too subtle for the US don't you think? Get the local National Guard arty unit on standby and fire for effect with you as forward observer :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  14. I know I've done the odd really, really stupid thing in my life, but asking for an artillery fire mission on my own property does seem spectacularly stupid :) But not as spectacularly stupid as being on the land when the shells come raining in :)

I think I'll stick with a rifle and a cheap Chinese sight :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. There is a family of them who live a few hundred metres from where I am. Ambulance and fire truck sirens set them howling back at them in return at night. They're definitely a bunch of noise makers.

Someone in this area has been trapping and skinning them inside the city, and leaving the skinned bodies on the spot. He left some on the grounds of the local university, who have a river running through a wooded area on their property. That had some of the students in a tizzy speculating that there was a serial killer on the loose who was practising on animals before working his way up to them. More sober speculation is that it's a trapper, probably an Indian, either trapping to sell the pelts or he's been contracted by some level of government to cull them and they're not talking about it.

They've killed quite a few dogs and cats around here. I've never heard of them attacking an adult human though, unless the person tried to protect their dog when they had it out for a walk on a leash. Coyotes seem to be very shrewd, and have a pretty good idea of whether or not a human can stop them from getting what they want.

Unlike wolves, they seem to do well around humans, and their numbers have expanded in settled areas as the wolves, their main competition and predators, have declined. Large numbers live in cities along rivers and in ravines. Dogs and cats are just natural prey to them.

The ones around here are a different variety than what appeared in the video to be the western type. The local ones are more closely related to wolves than the ones out west. As such they are up to twice the size and darker. They'll kill even larger breeds of dog.

• Informative Informative x 2