Cowboy Clampers Outlawed

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Legs, Aug 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Clamping has been illegal in Scotland for years with no great problems.
  2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

That's nice. Allwe need to do now is keep the change in the law very, very quiet and wait for the scumbags to clamp something when it's changed; then arrest them, put them in a lock-up, and tell them they've got to pay a few thousand quid if they want to be released.
  3. Clamping firms are currently the employment opportunity of choice for the sort of people who used to run extortion rackets with the local pubs and clubs.
  4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Just been listening to R2 in the car on the way back to the office. Some mouthpiece from the "Security Industry" has been mouthing off that "it's all the government's fault" - What that twunts in the wonderful world of parking can frogmarch someone to a cashpoint to get the money to pay a fine that exists in the mind of the clamping company and nowhere else?

I think that he was really urined-off because his cash cow has been put out to pasture.
  5. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Not good news if your only qualification for work is a size 18 neck.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OK What have cowboys done to deserve this, you cant park your horse next to any saloon now a days without getting clamped
  7. I've only ever been clamped by one once, in Manchester in my brother's van. He's a builder and promptly produced a heavy 2 stroke disk cutter out of the back. Ten minutes later we were under way and the evidence landed at the bottom of the river Goyt. Nothing happened....
  8. As much as it galls me to approve of anything French I think their collective approach to clampers was genius. I remember reading that when clamping was introduced into Paris it lasted about a week before they had to pack it in.

Apparently whenever people saw a clamped car they squirted liquid metal filler or super glue in the lock. Pain in the arse for the person who owns the car but if everytime you clamp a car you have to destroy it to get it off your business will last about 5 minutes.
  9. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

It's great news for the few who park in what looks like a public place, only to discover there's a sign the size of a postage stamp the other side of the ground reading 'Private Property'. But similar to speeding fines, parking fines and clamps are generally only enforced when people break the rules. The only reason speed cameras make money is because drivers go too fast - same goes for getting your car clamped.

I got a parking ticket in Reading back in April. And despite the Borough Council's rather generous offer of reducing the £70 fine by 50% if paid within 14 days, I fought it because the road was in shit state and there were no clear road markings. It got rejected, and I made a formal representation - which also got rejected, despite my reference to several TSRGD 2002 regs they were clearly in breach of. I finally appealed to the Proper Officer and yay and behold Reading BC chose not to contest and so I won by default.

This is their way of not ever having to admit they're in the wrong, which gives them a license to print money from anyone else who makes the same 'mistake' in the future - and in the meantime use extra long words and threats of fines doubling in their condescending rejection letters in order to intimidate anyone daring to challenge them into paying up.

So in a way, I am glad the government are 'clamping down' on these matters - but I can't help feeling the something-for-nothings and know-my-rights types will take the pi$$ and in turn force councils and cowboy outfits to introduce even more lucrative and extreme measures.
  10. Never been clamped but always worked on the assumtion that should it happen I will get in a taxi to the nearest machinemart andbuy a big **** off pair of bolt croppers. Even if it cost me twice as much as the fine.
  11. Did that in Winchester, chucked the clamp in the boot and moved up Southgate street and watched the ******** drive up in his tatty transit for the kill. The man looked rather miffed. The clamp went in The Kings Heads dustbin, result!
  12. ****ing HELL! You must be a big lad if you could crop a clamp off, or are you David Banner?
  13. This is excellent news. Just 2 weeks ago, someone I knew had to pay a clamper £300.00 because he made the expensive error of parling for 90 seconds in a pub car park while he used the cashpoint machine next door. It's a problem that's rife around where I live in West London and it should have been banned years ago. It's been a shameful disgrace that someone can hold you to ransome for such large sums of money in this way.

A little piece of advice on parking tickets issued by local authorities. Sometimes it's obvious that you are parked on the highway and if you get a ticket, you are well and truly captured and have to pay it. However, sometimes you can be issued a ticket for parking on the grass or even in a private road. Local authorities only have statutory powers to issue tickets on the highway. If the road looks unmaintained, check to see if it is highway or not. If it isn't, they can't ticket you. Similarly if you are parked on grass land. Check if the grassed area is part of the highway such as a verge of the highway etc. If it is they have you, however, sometimes tickets are issued "because it's parked on the grass" and unless your local authority has passed a specific resolution empowering itself to issue a ticket to a vehicle parked on grass other than part of the highway, you may well find that they don't actually have any powers to issue a ticket under those circumstances.