Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Covid Vaccine Guinea Pigs?

Will you get the vaccine?

• Yes - Give it to me

Votes: 80 50.6%
  • No - Let nature take it's course

Votes: 18 11.4%
  • I'll let other people get it first - then wait and see how it all pans out!

Votes: 60 38.0%

• Total voters

GDog

Old-Salt
Not that old chestnut again.
Load of unverified bollocks and it took two clicks and ten seconds to demonstrate that.

Try harder.

The abstract doesn't make even the slightest mention of coronavirus or how it affects the risk of transmission.

The news article is full of unsubstantiated and uncited assumptions about how the virus spreads in aerosol droplets. If the droplet is that big then it isn't a ******* aerosol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201124-224006.png
    Screenshot_20201124-224006.png
    616.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Yokel

LE
I hope he does not mind, but I am going to tag @Fang_Farrier to see what he has to say about the anti mask lobby.

I have learnt that an elderly aunt has gone downhill during the months family could not visit her care home. Just take the f***ing vaccine - it might stop you from passing the virus to a vulnerable person.

I hope he does not mind, but I am going to tag @Fang_Farrier to see what he has to say about the anti mask lobby.

I have learnt that an elderly aunt has gone downhill during the months family could not visit her care home. Just take the f***ing vaccine - it might stop you from passing the virus to a vulnerable person.

Masks work in clinical settings. It's showing they work in non-clinical settings that's the problem.

I'm pretty sure that leading upto the pandemic the scientific consensus was that 40 years worth of research showed they didn't work to prevent respiratory viruses, which is why our CMO said we shouldn't wear them (face touching, incorrect use, intuitively thinking we're protected so relaxing other measures like hygiene and social distancing).

But then after the pandemic hit, lab science showed masks do work. But there's no high quality evidence showing they work outside of a lab for the reasons I stated in the above paragraph.

Masks work in clinical settings. It's showing they work in non-clinical settings that's the problem.

I'm pretty sure that leading upto the pandemic the scientific consensus was that 40 years worth of research showed they didn't work to prevent respiratory viruses, which is why our CMO said we shouldn't wear them (face touching, incorrect use, intuitively thinking we're protected so relaxing other measures like hygiene and social distancing).

But then after the pandemic hit, lab science showed masks do work. But there's no high quality evidence showing they work outside of a lab for the reasons I stated in the above paragraph.

Jesus this is not rocket science.

Masks do not eliminate the possibility of transmission. They do, however, reduce the risk significantly.

It's the answer to the wrong question - "how snotty does a piece of paper get" - rather than "does this prevent the spread of an infection"

Studies have already been performed to answer the latter question and found the answer to be "no".
The answer to one is the answer to the other - how do you think an airborne virus gets spread? The clue is 'anything that puts droplets full of it into the air where other people can breathe it in.'

Most studies show that mask wearing significantly reduces the spread of infection, the mortality rate and may even reduce the severity of illness experienced by those who contract symptoms.

Internet wibbling, on the other hand, has found the answer to be, "I don't like minor inconveniences or being told what to do so they can't be effective."

The answer to one is the answer to the other - how do you think an airborne virus gets spread? The clue is 'anything that puts droplets full of it into the air where other people can breathe it in.'

Most studies show that mask wearing significantly reduces the spread of infection, the mortality rate and may even reduce the severity of illness experienced by those who contract symptoms.

Internet wibbling, on the other hand, has found the answer to be, "I don't like minor inconveniences or being told what to do so they can't be effective."
I was reading a FB post from one of my American fuckwit friends who was bitching because they have been told they are only allowed a maximum of 10 people in a group for Thanksgiving - so they are all going to get together on Friday instead.

*Head in hands*

Oddly enough she is also anti-mask and thinks Bill Gates is planning to take over the world through a sinister immunisation programme. I honestly wonder how people this stupid get through life unscathed.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

This is one of those incidences where public health statistics come into play.
This means that a minor reduction in individual risk can have a much larger impact on a population level.

As to your aunt, I would not overly lay the cause on her decline on not visiting her. We tend to admit folk to homes far later in life these days, when they are more frail.
As such the average life span in a home is only 2 years.

I honestly wonder how people this stupid get through life unscathed.
The kindness of their fellow Man and the forbearance of reptiles.

Viruses don't play by their rules, with any luck.

Jesus this is not rocket science.

Masks do not eliminate the possibility of transmission. They do, however, reduce the risk significantly.

Other than in labs, where results are higher than the 'real world', I don't think the science is as conclusive as you make it out to be.

If it were, we wouldn't have had the get on the bus/get off the bus approach with the UK CMO advising us NOT to wear them at the beginning of the pandemic. Neither would the Welsh have held off longer with the Welsh gov stating "There is no high quality evidence to support wearing masks [by the general public outside of public transport]".

And some countries haven't mandated masks; Sweden and Norway for example. They say they're following the science.

No need to invoke Jesus, though this is becoming an issue of religious belief.