Leo93

Clanker
Had my AOSB (B) on Sat (24/4/21) and got a Cat one with a lot of help from the above discussion. Many thanks all, and I'm now booked on for mainboard in mid June
well done! How did you prepare for the MAP tests? I struggle a bit with the abstract reasoning, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

well done! How did you prepare for the MAP tests? I struggle a bit with the abstract reasoning, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
The abstract reasoning map test is entirely about being able to spot patterns. I wouldn’t say it’s something that you can prepare for and you shouldn’t worry about it because I’m not that smart and my report said I got well above average on the MAP tests. But that being said if you just look up 11+ non verbal reasoning books they might be a bit of help but I never used them.

Kalu19

Clanker

Thanks
I bought the 'Mastering the UKCAT' book online. It has all 3 elements of the map tests in, and is the standard used to get into medical school.

Good god… 8.7 … it’s a bare minimum standard…..
Only a couple of years ago It used to be hit 10.2 or you were sent home on the first afternoon! Now that got you focused!

Does anyone have any tips on prepping for the PlanEx? Apart from obviously completing practice ones. And any tips regarding the grilling etc. Is it better to get any plan down?

Practice speed distance time til you are sick or you can do it in your sleep and then do some more. Practice comprehension techniques as a whole because they will try and catch you out with wording and lastly make sure you turn over and read ALL the pages (someone on my mainboard managed to not turn one of the pages over and had no clue what was going on. He still passed). The most important thing to take away is no matter how much you **** it up keep going with mainboard and smash the rest and you’ll pass with ease.

Does anyone have any tips on prepping for the PlanEx? Apart from obviously completing practice ones. And any tips regarding the grilling etc. Is it better to get any plan down?
The best tip is that if your plan doesn’t meet the timelines then it’s not right. All the currently used Planexes have at least two solutions that will meet timelines, although secondary objectives may be sacrificed.

The other top tip is write your working out and COAs down in the manner you are told to. I’ve seen many that appear to have stumbled on the correct solution by way of happy accident, as the way it’s been worked out isn’t apparent. That doesn’t get you lots of marks.

Leo93

Clanker
I bought the 'Mastering the UKCAT' book online. It has all 3 elements of the map tests in, and is the standard used to get into medical school.
Did this help? I've seen mixed reviews as the questions are harder and some require calculators?

Kalu19

Clanker
Did this help? I've seen mixed reviews as the questions are harder and some require calculators?
Would definitely recommend. It's better to work at a higher level in your preparation, then find the testing easier.

For calculator questions, attempt to do them mentally, and if you can't then disregard.

Latest Threads