I used the UKCAT med school book (amazon) for all the MAP tests. You don't use a calculator in briefing/main board but the book was still good enough to get me through briefing/main board.
Thanks for the recommendation, the not having a calculator bit is what worries me. The other bits of the MAP test don't worry me, but sadly I suck at maths

Tingtang22

Clanker
First of all congrats on the Cat 1, can I ask how difficult the numerical reasoning questions were? I've got my Briefing at the end of April and that id the only bit that worries me? Also, can you get changed there in any way? Probably heading there on a motorcycle and I'd rather not do a bleep test in full gear
Thanks!
As someone who only did GCSE maths and did it back in 2011, I found the questions hard. I didn't revise at all for them though so I think as long as you are refreshing yourself on arithmetic and things like percentages, ratios, SDT, and wordy questions then you'll be fine. The example booklet they send out is so easy, the questions at Briefing are much much harder so don't use that as a gauge!

I know I've posted on a thread somewhere a link to the books I've used to revise for Main Board (I'm end of April). I got them off Amazon and the most useful numerical reasoning one is by Rob Williams. Its It's pink book, search numerical reasoning and you should find it!

Changing rooms wise: I didn't see any but there were toilets and a coat room where some people changed tshirts etc, so taking off layers there should be fine!

Good luck with Briefing, honestly don't stress about it! The point of it is so you know how much prep and what prep you need to do for Main Board :)

Thanks for the recommendation, the not having a calculator bit is what worries me. The other bits of the MAP test don't worry me, but sadly I suck at maths

Mental arithmetic is quite a big deal at AOSB for the planex and for the numerical reasoning. You could try completing the UKCAT questions without a calc and no time-limit. Just use pen and paper to work them out. The questions are similar to what you'll see at briefing, just more complicated hence the use of a calc. And to be honest, it's not necessarily about the maths but actually your ability to fully understand the question, the data, and to eliminate the 'clearly wrong' answers.

Thanks!
As someone who only did GCSE maths and did it back in 2011, I found the questions hard. I didn't revise at all for them though so I think as long as you are refreshing yourself on arithmetic and things like percentages, ratios, SDT, and wordy questions then you'll be fine. The example booklet they send out is so easy, the questions at Briefing are much much harder so don't use that as a gauge!

I know I've posted on a thread somewhere a link to the books I've used to revise for Main Board (I'm end of April). I got them off Amazon and the most useful numerical reasoning one is by Rob Williams. Its It's pink book, search numerical reasoning and you should find it!

Changing rooms wise: I didn't see any but there were toilets and a coat room where some people changed tshirts etc, so taking off layers there should be fine!

Good luck with Briefing, honestly don't stress about it! The point of it is so you know how much prep and what prep you need to do for Main Board :)
Thank you very much for the advice and recommendation!! I've found it as a kindle so I'll enjoy learning maths again since my Abitur (grew up in Germany so no GCSEs for me). Also thanks for for answering my changing questions, it is a small thing but was still worrying me. Best of luck for MB I'm absolutely sure you'll pass with flying colours!!

Latest Threads