Tingtang22

Clanker
Could anyone help with what to expect at the new shortened briefing?
I have my Briefing in January and on my joining instructions it says we will do:
Physical tests
Intellectual tests
2min introduction of yourself
Group discussion
Plan Ex and command tasks briefings/tutorial

Its about 5hrs long, with lunch in the middle, phys is last. You get a phone call the next day with your Cat, instead of having a debrief from a CO on the day. If you've researched the usual briefing format, you can see there is a lot missing in terms of content!

Hope that helps!

I have my Briefing in January and on my joining instructions it says we will do:
Physical tests
Intellectual tests
Group discussion

Its about 5hrs long, with lunch in the middle, phys is last. You get a phone call the next day with your Cat, instead of having a debrief from a CO on the day. If you've researched the usual briefing format, you can see there is a lot missing in terms of content!

Hope that helps!
So would you say (or others) that the AOSB is alot more easier now because of the COVID restrictions?

Tingtang22

Clanker
So would you say (or others) that the AOSB is alot more easier now because of the COVID restrictions?
I haven't done it yet, but I'd argue that whilst Briefing has less in it and so is potentially easier, that that could be to our detriment. The point of Briefing is to give you an idea of what to expect from Main board and give you the opportunity to give all the activities a go. With the new COVID regulations in place, a lot of it is a verbal briefing rather than a hands on task.

At the end of the day, if you're good enough to pass Main Board you will and if you're not you won't. I don't think it'll be any easier.

Kalu19

Clanker
They won't lower the standard just because its shorter. They will still want the same quality of candidate passing through.

Physical tests
Intellectual tests
Group discussion

Hope that helps!
Good luck at Briefing! Could you post how it went in this thread as I'm preparing for mine in March? Cheers!

Tingtang22

Clanker
Good luck at Briefing! Could you post how it went in this thread as I'm preparing for mine in March? Cheers!
Thanks! I passed with a Cat 1 so it went well! Yeah of course! There are some good diary's on here for Main Board and Briefing, but non with the shorter covid format I don't think?

So the new Briefing format is 1 day (6hrs) only. My order of events for my diary is based on my day, so they might be a different way round for others, but here is my write up!

Arrive between 9.45 & 10.45am, sign in, show your ID, collect your bib, drop your bag off (just a heads up, I had no access to my bag the whole day as we didn't have time, so there isn't much need to bring things that aren't on your immediate personal). We were in 4 groups of 8 people, men and women mixed (there were only about 5 women all together).

Then you have an intro from the staff and then we went straight outside for the Physical tests. Warm up is literally a few stretches and some running on the spot and then you get 1min to do your own warm up bits (on the spot). Then the groups are split and 2 do the bleep test and 2 do the mid thigh pull and med ball throw. Then you all come together and do some warm down stretches to finish. Make sure you've prepped for these tests as it'll make you so much more confident going into it. Quite a few failed the bleep test and I heard others saying they had failed the mid thigh pull or the med ball throw, so whilst these aren't super tough, you can't just turn up and expect to pass!

Next my group had lunch which was really nice!
Then we went for the MAP computer tests which took about an hour to do. These were abstract reasoning, verbal reasoning and numerical reasoning. There wasn't much time compared to the amount of questions and I didnt get through them all, but my score was still "above average" so I wouldn't stress about the timer. I didn't guess questions I worked them out, but I heard people saying they guessed them to get through them faster. Personally I wouldn't do that, but I guess if you have no idea then its your best option!

After this we stood outside in the freezing cold and rain for 20mins waiting for the next part. Because of the covid regulations you can't mix in the rooms or corridors or anything like that, so make sure you have a coat and don't leave it in the bag room, carry it around with you, its worth it!

We then had our Plan Ex, command tasks and obstacle course tutorials. Make sure you take lots of notes as this is instead of actually doing them and getting to practice, so pay attention to what they tell you!

Last up was the group discussion. We did our 2min intros first and then sat and chatted about topics that the staff gave us. They give you a time limit for each, so make sure you get your point in early! We also all had to give our own topic to discuss and then the staff picked 2 at the end to talk about. Make sure you're up to date on current affairs and also that you have an opinion on it! No point knowing all the facts, but not being able to give your side of the argument with justification. I mostly listened to podcasts to prep (anything like: Global news, intelligence, coffee house shots, today in focus, today explained, the week summed up) but also read the BBC news daily and I have a subscription to The Week.
For the 2min intro, you get a knock at 1min and a knock at 2mins. Make sure you have an idea of what you want to say, but that it's not too rehearsed.

Overall, sounds corny but just relax and enjoy yourself! Don't get caught up if you don't think something went well, because else it will affect the rest of your day! Oh and make sure you wear warm clothes, because all the doors and windows are open so its absolutely freezing everywhere!

Hope this helps! I found the info on here from others super useful, so happy to be able to give back to others going through the process :)

Thanks! I passed with a Cat 1 so it went well! Yeah of course! There are some good diary's on here for Main Board and Briefing, but non with the shorter covid format I don't think?

So the new Briefing format is 1 day (6hrs) only. My order of events for my diary is based on my day, so they might be a different way round for others, but here is my write up!

Arrive between 9.45 & 10.45am, sign in, show your ID, collect your bib, drop your bag off (just a heads up, I had no access to my bag the whole day as we didn't have time, so there isn't much need to bring things that aren't on your immediate personal). We were in 4 groups of 8 people, men and women mixed (there were only about 5 women all together).

Then you have an intro from the staff and then we went straight outside for the Physical tests. Warm up is literally a few stretches and some running on the spot and then you get 1min to do your own warm up bits (on the spot). Then the groups are split and 2 do the bleep test and 2 do the mid thigh pull and med ball throw. Then you all come together and do some warm down stretches to finish. Make sure you've prepped for these tests as it'll make you so much more confident going into it. Quite a few failed the bleep test and I heard others saying they had failed the mid thigh pull or the med ball throw, so whilst these aren't super tough, you can't just turn up and expect to pass!

Then we went for the MAP computer tests which took about an hour to do. These were abstract reasoning, verbal reasoning and numerical reasoning. There wasn't much time compared to the amount of questions and I didnt get through them all, but my score was still "above average" so I wouldn't stress about the timer. I didn't guess questions I worked them out, but I heard people saying they guessed them to get through them faster. Personally I wouldn't do that, but I guess if you have no idea then its your best option!

After this we stood outside in the freezing cold and rain for 20mins waiting for the next part. Because of the covid regulations you can't mix in the rooms or corridors or anything like that, so make sure you have a coat and don't leave it in the bag room, carry it around with you, its worth it!

We then had our Plan Ex, command tasks and obstacle course tutorials. Make sure you take lots of notes as this is instead of actually doing them and getting to practice, so pay attention to what they tell you!

Last up was the group discussion. We did our 2min intros first and then sat and chatted about topics that the staff gave us. They give you a time limit for each, so make sure you get your point in early! We also all had to give our own topic to discuss and then the staff picked 2 at the end to talk about. Make sure you're up to date on current affairs and also that you have an opinion on it! No point knowing all the facts, but not being able to give your side of the argument with justification. I mostly listened to podcasts to prep (anything like: Global news, intelligence, coffee house shots, today in focus, today explained, the week summed up) but also read the BBC news daily and I have a subscription to The Week.
For the 2min intro, you get a knock at 1min and a knock at 2mins. Make sure you have an idea of what you want to say, but that it's not too rehearsed.

Overall, sounds corny but just relax and enjoy yourself! Don't get caught up if you don't think something went well, because else it will affect the rest of your day! Oh and make sure you wear warm clothes, because all the doors and windows are open so its absolutely freezing everywhere!

Hope this helps! I found the info on here from others super useful, so happy to be able to give back to others going through the process :)
Congrats!! Thanks for taking the time to write this, really appreciate it! Have they said how long you will be waiting to get on a main board?

Tingtang22

Clanker
Congrats!! Thanks for taking the time to write this, really appreciate it! Have they said how long you will be waiting to get on a main board?
Thankyou! Honestly not a problem :)
Yep, I have a date at the end of April! It was the earliest I could book on, apparently because they are working at half capacity there is a bit of a back log. 3 months is about normal wait time atm from what my CSM said :)

Covid-shortened course layout.
This write up is a diary of my time at AOSB Main Board. Any examples used were not real questions used in our assessments and are purely for example purposes.....
In regards to the lecture, you mentioned they will choose 1 of 5 topics from your CV. What are you classing as the topics as there is no header called 'topics'. I'm presuming its the interests/hobbies onwards section?

Many thanks,
Luke

Kalu19

Clanker
In regards to the lecture, you mentioned they will choose 1 of 5 topics from your CV. What are you classing as the topics as there is no header called 'topics'. I'm presuming its the interests/hobbies onwards section?

Many thanks,
Luke
Hi Luke,

That's right, it is anything from your CV really. It could be your work experience, hobbies and interests etc. Also your book choices, so don't put random books on your CV

Thankyou! Honestly not a problem :)
Yep, I have a date at the end of April! It was the earliest I could book on, apparently because they are working at half capacity there is a bit of a back log. 3 months is about normal wait time atm from what my CSM said :)
I will be there too - end of April!

First of all congrats on the Cat 1, can I ask how difficult the numerical reasoning questions were? I've got my Briefing at the end of April and that id the only bit that worries me? Also, can you get changed there in any way? Probably heading there on a motorcycle and I'd rather not do a bleep test in full gear

First of all congrats on the Cat 1, can I ask how difficult the numerical reasoning questions were? I've got my Briefing at the end of April and that id the only bit that worries me? Also, can you get changed there in any way? Probably heading there on a motorcycle and I'd rather not do a bleep test in full gear
I used the UKCAT med school book (amazon) for all the MAP tests. You don't use a calculator in briefing/main board but the book was still good enough to get me through briefing/main board.

Latest Threads