Covid Passports - Yay or ney?

Should we have have Covid passports?

• Total voters
I have been thinking about the first table and the cherry picked item. Are we not looking at the outworking of vaccinated people with a greatly lessened chance of a bad outcome being out and about and being infected compared with the unvaccinated (who must include those who would wish to be vaccinated but cannot and therefore are still cautious).
Also take into account that in both camps there are the clinically vulnerable - those who are more likely to succumb to Covid. Of this cohort those who are able to be vaccinated are more likely to have done so because there is nothing like that penny dropping that it will kill you to overcome the wibblings of the morons.

Other behaviours come into it too - could they be the age group more likely to get a test done and thus skew the figures?

There are lots of other confounding factors you would have to figure in to figure it out - raw data is great but outliers are always seized upon by the ratlickers. If you look at the data for long term health outcomes for the vaccinated it is shown that, apart from one years data, they show better outcomes than the unvaccinated. Want to guess which data-set the anti-vaxxers scream about?

Real science is, well, science as normal people understand it. Do experiments, make observations, see how well the results match your models/hypotheses, revise your models and try again, and so on. And if the results don't match at all, bin the models and start again. Or the modellers.

The Science is scotch eggs, rule of 6, 2 metres distance, standing up vs sitting down, self-isolation and quarantine for plebs but not VIPs, wearing a mask that you repeatedly touch all day and above all you must Trust The Science, especially where The Science and your first hand observations of the world differ.
Except that all of he stuff in your second paragraph has a solid basis with good epidemiological data to support it. If you had any sort of senior job you would have touched on the culture of risk avoidance - and thus be aware of the Swiss cheese model (and other relevant ones). Maybe you should ‘educate yourself’ or ‘du yur resurch!!!’.
(apart from touching your face - either you had too many yellow handbags and your braincells are not firing or you are ignoring the advice to ‘stop touching your f***ing face so much’ when we went into this - there is a ton of stuff out there if you have a modicum of google-fu).

Also take into account that in both camps there are the clinically vulnerable - those who are more likely to succumb to Covid. Of this cohort those who are able to be vaccinated are more likely to have done so because there is nothing like that penny dropping that it will kill you to overcome the wibblings of the morons.

Other behaviours come into it too - could they be the age group more likely to get a test done and thus skew the figures?

There are lots of other confounding factors you would have to figure in to figure it out - raw data is great but outliers are always seized upon by the ratlickers. If you look at the data for long term health outcomes for the vaccinated it is shown that, apart from one years data, they show better outcomes than the unvaccinated. Want to guess which data-set the anti-vaxxers scream about?

Oh just wait until we get to 100% vaccinated and people still die of covid, the moonhowlers and windowlickers will have a field day. I don't think they quite get it. Or ever will.

On another note, I am now up to the 4th person I know that has had to go on a ventilator. One looks like something out of Belsen and cannot walk up his stairs at home now other than one very slow step at a time. Do I need to say that he/they wasn't vaccinated? No? Didn't think so.

I have the misfortune to live under the iron-fist of Nicola Sturgeon.
Aiming to see The Scottish Pink Floyd on Saturday in Aberdeen so tonight have attempted to get myself a vaccine certificate online. Have inputted all the correct info but getting nowhere and getting ******* annoyed. Has anybody successfully got one yet ?

EDIT: panic over - my GP had my postcode wrong and I was inputting the right one! Not going to be so easy for the other half who can't recall date of vaccination (GP won't provide this!!) and also can't remember the username she never knew was on her appointment letter - without this its all a bit Kafkaesque

Last edited:
Aiming to see The Scottish Pink Floyd on Saturday in Aberdeen so tonight have attempted to get myself a vaccine certificate online. Have inputted all the correct info but getting nowhere and getting ******* annoyed. Has anybody successfully got one yet ?

EDIT: panic over - my GP had my postcode wrong and I was inputting the right one! Not going to be so easy for the other half who can't recall date of vaccination (GP won't provide this!!) and also can't remember the username she never knew was on her appointment letter - without this its all a bit Kafkaesque
Did Kafka have poor personal admin too?

Also there is a separate NHS Scotland App which had me stumped for a while as I was trying the English one which is just called NHS...made it to Fatboy Slim in Glasgow...result

The local has remained open throughout. I'll just keep sitting at the end of the bar there and watch it all play out on telly. No pass, no face nappy, no keep away dance. If that's going to make you die... Then Bye bye! Can't be helped!

The local has remained open throughout. I'll just keep sitting at the end of the bar there and watch it all play out on telly. No pass, no face nappy, no keep away dance. If that's going to make you die... Then Bye bye! Can't be helped!
Face nappy? Is that because you talk shit?

You awful selfish man, think of my nan...
I have to be honest. I don’t think I can be arsed going through any of that sh*t again.

So far all I’ve seen is the baby boomer generation Jump to the front of the queue for vaccines. Once vaccinated, ignore all of the rules. Continue to walk around one way system in shops the wrong way, not bothering to wear face masks prodding and poking foodstuffs and then putting it back down and moving everything by shoving it out of the way with their unsanitised hands, in order to get the one at the back because it’s got one day extra on its best before date.

I’ve lost count of the amount of times these f*ckers have bypassed the queue for our local chemists because ‘they need to get their Covid tests done’ so they can go on their Viking River Cruise.

Next time this thing hits I want these f*ckers offered up as sacrifices. Free up some much needed housing stock. Release some inheritance money and free up NHS resources.

That goes for the fat f*ckers who can’t wear a mask because they suffer from anxiety because they’re permanently on disability.

Revie

Old-Salt
I have to be honest. I don’t think I can be arsed going through any of that sh*t again.

So far all I’ve seen is the baby boomer generation Jump to the front of the queue for vaccines. Once vaccinated, ignore all of the rules. Continue to walk around one way system in shops the wrong way, not bothering to wear face masks prodding and poking foodstuffs and then putting it back down and moving everything by shoving it out of the way with their unsanitised hands, in order to get the one at the back because it’s got one day extra on its best before date.

I’ve lost count of the amount of times these f*ckers have bypassed the queue for our local chemists because ‘they need to get their Covid tests done’ so they can go on their Viking River Cruise.

Next time this thing hits I want these f*ckers offered up as sacrifices. Free up some much needed housing stock. Release some inheritance money and free up NHS resources.

That goes for the fat f*ckers who can’t wear a mask because they suffer from anxiety because they’re permanently on disability.

Even if we'd tried to offer them up as sacrifices, Covid isn't dangerous enough to have bumped off that many, despite how threatened they feel. But otherwise hilarious.

I think Adam Curtis predicted that something mental would happen when the Boomer generation came to the end of their lives. A cohort of lives lived largely in a comfortable, banal, stupor - the first group of people to have ever truly lived without a god, purely in the temporal, material world - now stand before the void.

'I won't die, the world will die'.

Chef

LE
Even if we'd tried to offer them up as sacrifices, Covid isn't dangerous enough to have bumped off that many, despite how threatened they feel. But otherwise hilarious.

I think Adam Curtis predicted that something mental would happen when the Boomer generation came to the end of their lives. A cohort of lives lived largely in a comfortable, banal, stupor - the first group of people to have ever truly lived without a god, purely in the temporal, material world - now stand before the void.

Wouldn't that apply to the next group, Gen X? Baby boomers were possibly the last group to have lived with a God. There's been a general decline in CoE attendance since the end of WWII. Comfortable, up to a point, certainly the last major group to expect to own their own property. I'd have said hipsters and the like live mostly in the material world, latest iphone, fashions and other must have now gimmicks.

The boomers were probably the last to save for stuff or do without.

Mind you every generation blames the previous one for the current world situation, Greta blaming the boomers for environmental problems whilst living in a throwaway society that would give previous generations conniptions at the sheer waste involved.

Revie

Old-Salt
Wouldn't that apply to the next group, Gen X? Baby boomers were possibly the last group to have lived with a God. There's been a general decline in CoE attendance since the end of WWII. Comfortable, up to a point, certainly the last major group to expect to own their own property. I'd have said hipsters and the like live mostly in the material world, latest iphone, fashions and other must have now gimmicks.

Mind you every generation blames the previous one for the current world situation, Greta blaming the boomers for environmental problems whilst living in a throwaway society that would give previous generations conniptions at the sheer waste involved.

I think churchgoing started to decline after the First World War, but the teenage boomers were the first on masse to do without, openly rebel against, or at least give it up quietly as they progressed through life (which is quite odd, with religion usually becoming more popular at the end of one's time).

Gen X and millennials are just descendents of the Cultural Revolution of the 1960s begun by the boomers, in my view. They'll likely face the same existential issues when reaching the age that boomers are now.

Agree about the point with generations, and it's easy to fall into that trap, but I do think there was something categorically different about the revolution of the 1960s, which, in some ways, we're still living through and working out what to do with.

I don't see the Thunburg types as rebelling against their elders per se, rather that the worldly psychology created by the boomers has just mutated - all of that pseudo-religious stuff goes back to the 60s.

Christopher Booker's 'The Neophilliacs' is excellent on this; the change in the British/Western psychology in that decade.

Last edited:

As a 'Baby Boomer',I have only one regret...my generation provided the ingenuity,expertise and means, to enable the current bunch of halfwits and, f***tards, to speak into a mobile phone, whilst meandering down the pavement, totally oblivious of what is going on around them.

We are also guilty of providing the means, to enable the obesity crisis, by letting them lose all sense of reality,whilst sitting in front of a gaming console...not forgetting the death of social skills,reading books,grammar,spelling and, writing in script !

We (the boomers) are supposedly guilty of a lot of things,I just tend to smile when some 18 year old (expert) tells me, I and my generation are the cause of all their ills...my general reply is along the lines of F.Off !

Works for me ! ;-)

I’m beginning to believe more and more that it’s that generation that’s the root cause of this worlds ills.

I loved my grandmother. I listened in fascination to who stories of growing up in poverty in Edwardian times. Pawning panes of glass in order to eat. The super hero efforts they went through during WW2 with the memories of WW1 still fresh. Family being everything.

No moaning. No complaining. Just a stoic heroism and a quite realisation that things have improved, but many issues younger generations face, are different and often bigger than those her generations face.

Alas she’s gone. I now need to listen to people in their 60s and 70s constantly going on how hard they’ve had to work. What a struggle life has been. The look of horror on their faces when you ask them to help out with child care occasionally.

I shouldn’t tar everybody with that brush, but I’m seeing, or at least noticing an ever increasing number of entities pensioners now constantly complaining. I like the ‘well in my day we had to do this.’

My normal response is that, in your day retirees weren’t expecting future generations to make up the short fall in their pensions or healthcare contributions. Weren’t having to buy houses that need four times annual salary mortgages or having to pay for massive infrastructure projects because their generation chose to spunk the money up the wall rather than look out for future generations.

As a 'Baby Boomer',I have only one regret...my generation provided the ingenuity,expertise and means, to enable the current bunch of halfwits and, f***tards, to speak into a mobile phone, whilst meandering down the pavement, totally oblivious of what is going on around them.

We are also guilty of providing the means, to enable the obesity crisis, by letting them lose all sense of reality,whilst sitting in front of a gaming console...not forgetting the death of social skills,reading books,grammar,spelling and, writing in script !

We (the boomers) are supposedly guilty of a lot of things,I just tend to smile when some 18 year old (expert) tells me, I and my generation are the cause of all their ills...my general reply is along the lines of F.Off !

Works for me ! ;-)
Those are fair points.

I guess I’m just having to engage with some absolute w@knee type baby boomers.

Those are fair points.

I guess I’m just having to engage with some absolute w@knee type baby boomers.
Broad brush sweeping generalisations aren't a very good way to argue your point ;-)

Revie

Old-Salt
Broad brush sweeping generalisations aren't a very good way to argue your point ;-)

I don't think individual baby boomers are 'bad' at all. Many of my own relatives are great people, they just take it completely for granted that it's normal (and that nobody else is losing because of it) to retire in your 50s into a house that's ballooned to almost half a million in worth, after, at best, being a part-time retail assistant or a lorry driver. Why would they think any different? Most of their parents are long dead, and all their social milieu (who they compete with) are full of similar stories.

Certain assumptions about the world, behaviours, habits of thought, interests, lack of awareness of just how much of an anomaly the material condition of their generation is, all in an important tactical voting block with massively increased life expectancy - which were all created by economic, social and cultural conditions of Europe readjusting after the war - has just created a bit of a problem.

Although I do think what boomers have demanded of the young over covid, particularly children, to protect them (and ostensibly, as there's little evidence that anything more than comfort blanket for something marginally worse than the flu) is kinda beyond the pale. But the media terrified them into that.

Last edited:

Latest Threads