Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Covid Passports - Yay or ney?

Should we have have Covid passports?

• Total voters
So, Grant Shapps has said that the NHS app is to be used as a Vaccination Passport.

Only one flaw for many of us on this site, it won't work for serving forces.

As I understand things, for serving personnel, you are registered with a Defence Medical Service Med Centre and your records are held on DMiCP.

The NHS app, even with your NHS Number, cannot reconcile you to a GP, you don't exist as DMiCP doesn't link in to the NHS.

Unless something else is worked out for serving personnel, we are stuffed, no entrance to anywhere that will want to know if you have been vaccinated or not.

Deep joy
Welcome to BAOR in the 70's and 80's when everywhere was out of bounds.

Out of curiosity I had a look at the NHS Covid Passport.
It would not download onto my Android phone. I tried my wife's Apple - no problem. Filled in all the info as required, then it informed me that it expired on Monday evening. Was I looking at the correct app? as I thought what was the point of that?

It would not download onto my Android phone. I tried my wife's Apple - no problem. Filled in all the info as required, then it informed me that it expired on Monday evening. Was I looking at the correct app? as I thought what was the point of that?
There are two separate apps - the Covid app and the NHS app. The covid passport is in the NHS app.

A problem is that a lot of people are now not using either app. I've seen numerous people wave their phones in front of signs but not actually checking in.

The issue is fatigue; we were promised 'freedom' last month. Then this month. Then it was 'freedom with caveats'. Now we're facing lockdown again.

Personally, I've reached a point where I feel that things are absurd. The latest news this morning is that fully vaccinated people returning from France will have to isolate because of the Beta variant.

Nissan UK has said this last week it's down 10 percent of its staff because of isolating.

So many friends have kids home because whole classes have been sent home. If a kid had measles, or flu, or chicken pox, the levels of isolating we're seeing wouldn't be happening. Covid should be no different.

Yet I read that we now have herd immunity. I'm double-jabbed. Deaths are down 99 percent. Hospitalisations are up but most people are heading home within a couple of days.

We need to get on with life. If some people get long Covid, then deal with that. But we cannot stay closed down.

I see in the news this morning that Rick Stein's family business is leading a rebellion. I'm with them; I've done all I've been asked to do. But we are still being restricted. I feel misled. I am prepared to take the 'risk' of reverting to normal life.

It’s supposed to renew itself on a 28 day rolling cycle mine has updated a couple of times, it keeps it current

The issue is fatigue; we were promised 'freedom' last month. Then this month. Then it was 'freedom with caveats'. Now we're facing lockdown again.

Personally, I've reached a point where I feel that things are absurd. The latest news this morning is that fully vaccinated people returning from France will have to isolate because of the Beta variant.

Yet I read that we now have herd immunity. I'm double-jabbed. Deaths are down 99 percent. Hospitalisations are up but most people are heading home within a couple of days.

We need to get on with life. If some people get long Covid, then deal with that. But we cannot stay closed down.

I see in the news this morning that Rick Stein's family business is leading a rebellion. I'm with them; I've done all I've been asked to do. But we are still being restricted. I feel misled. I am prepared to take the 'risk' of reverting to normal life.
I have no wish to pick a bone with you as an individual:
We were NOT "promised freedom". There were and always have been caveats. The word is PANDEMIC, not Englandemic.
Fully-vaccinated people are still at risk of carrying - and themselves being - infected. We need to close borders as and when needed to prevent over-stressing the NHS. International travel has never been a right, it is a privelage.
We've not reached "herd immunity" yet as far as I am aware.
I agree that we cannot stay "closed down", but until we have a GUARANTEED solution to a GLOAL issue, we will face issues.
It is not just Rick Stein. Since almost day 1 I have faced people who have refused to adhere with everything from social distancing to wearing face masks correctly. These people have been trying to live life "normally" whilst others have been trying to give everyone a chance to live normally as some stage hopefully not too far in the future.

This is from someone who has two critically vulnerable people in my social bubble (ie. immediate family who live with me).

EDITTED to bring back on topic: Even if we have a "COVID Passport", there is nothing the UK government can do if another country decides to either close its borders or no longer accept the UK COVID passports because political or Astra-Zeneca or the head honcho didn't get leg over last night.

We were NOT "promised freedom". There were and always have been caveats. The word is PANDEMIC, not Englandemic.
Fully-vaccinated people are still at risk of carrying - and themselves being - infected. We need to close borders as and when needed to prevent over-stressing the NHS. International travel has never been a right, it is a privelage.
I agree that we cannot stay "closed down", but until we have a GUARANTEED solution to a GLOAL issue, we will face issues.
It is not just Rick Stein. Since almost day 1 I have faced people who have refused to adhere with everything from social distancing to wearing face masks correctly. These people have been trying to live life "normally" whilst others have been trying to give everyone a chance to live normally as some stage hopefully not too far in the future.

This is from someone who has two critically vulnerable people in my social bubble (ie. immediate family who live with me).

EDITTED to bring back on topic: Even if we have a "COVID Passport", there is nothing the UK government can do if another country decides to either close its borders or no longer accept the UK COVID passports because political or Astra-Zeneca or the head honcho didn't get leg over last night.
From my own experiences, I don't think people have paid the rules any interest in months and so freedom day is simply an acceptance of the ground truth. People are once again free to do as they're like and suffer the consequences or not.

The idea that the vulnerable can be protected by locking a population down forever, is quite frankly a silly proposal and why the experts always avoided saying it. But with Covid that is the stark truth and why I think we're moving into a position that the guilt trip is having less and less impact.

From my own experiences, I don't think people have paid the rules any interest in months and so freedom day is simply an acceptance of the ground truth. People are once again free to do as they're like and suffer the consequences or not.

The idea that the vulnerable can be protected by locking a population down forever, is quite frankly a silly proposal and why the experts always avoided saying it. But with Covid that is the stark truth and why I think we're moving into a position that the guilt trip is having less and less impact.
Again, not a stab at you directly.

Sprog and sporgette are both in the hospitality industry. They have both been told that their employers will be keeping the majority of the measures in place - perspex screens separating employees, wearing masks when at work, social distancing of clients where possible, washning hands for 20 secs plus. I'm not sure if they will still be taking of employees' temperatures when they walk into the building.

HiD has just been sent the requirements for her to go back to work (she's been WFH for 2 years+, and going in to the office for a day a week if that before then). The company - an IT consultancy - will be requiring staff who go back to the office to keep social distancing and lateral testing twice a week. They do most of their work with off-shore teams in Europe and the Indian sub-continent, so almost no face-to-face contact has been in place for maybe a decade or more. She has seen more of her clients on social nights out than she has in work hours.

The "guilt trip" is going to be in place for some time yet.

Again, not a stab at you directly.

Sprog and sporgette are both in the hospitality industry. They have both been told that their employers will be keeping the majority of the measures in place - perspex screens separating employees, wearing masks when at work, social distancing of clients where possible, washning hands for 20 secs plus. I'm not sure if they will still be taking of employees' temperatures when they walk into the building.

HiD has just been sent the requirements for her to go back to work (she's been WFH for 2 years+, and going in to the office for a day a week if that before then). The company - an IT consultancy - will be requiring staff who go back to the office to keep social distancing and lateral testing twice a week. They do most of their work with off-shore teams in Europe and the Indian sub-continent, so almost no face-to-face contact has been in place for maybe a decade or more. She has seen more of her clients on social nights out than she has in work hours.

The "guilt trip" is going to be in place for some time yet.
Yes, the difference is in work, your still under an authority. But, people outside of work have already abandoned the rules and they're did that because the over 50s are all supposed to be double jammed and people will only be guilt tripped to a certain extent and then fatigue of the rules sets in.

I WFH because I'm in IT and my wife is a nurse at a local hospital and remains paranoid about the damage covid might have done to make us susceptible to other diseases a more likely result. But, even she thinks PHE have told a lot of porkies i.e. her own hospital has implemented a policy that being pinged requires you take a test in the hospital and your only alllowed home if its positive.

The vulnerable can be protected by being supported with greater lifestyle choices - such as the ability to work from home not being penalised.

But to continue to look to protect the vulnerable by isolating everyone is an absurd strategy.

We were told, twice, that restrictions would be lifted. I agree that restrictions should stay in place in terms of international travel but then I'd also point to the behaviour of those from the Indian subcontinent in that regard.

I live to the south of London and I can attest to people not wearing masks, and in particular from the BAME communities.

And I too live with someone on the vulnerable list. You have my every sympathy there.

The issue is this.

Whether the restrictions are enforceable legally or not is to some degree moot. In workplace terms, the insurance companies are going to be at least enquiring whether measures are in place - if only to prevent workers suing for exposure to risk. This of course results in the need for risk assessments in the workplace which will only encourage health and safety enthusiasts to blow the slightest perceived risk out of all proportion.

All this stuff costs money. Money which adds to the cost base and will inevitably result in a price hike which for some industries will be passed on to the consumer and in other industries will cause them to become uncompetitive and shortly thereafter, defunct.

Say one thing for Osborne and Cameron - they did at least recognise that the UK was in global competition and had to do something about it, even if their plan was largely smoke and mirrors so no-one got too upset.

However - we can't go on writing cheques like this forever.

There’s likely to be political kick back in all country’s about Covid passports.

I strongly suspect that the way forward is to domestically not push them, but agree with your neighbours that it would be a good idea if you all banned people travelling into your country who haven’t been vaccinated.

politically acceptable to a domestic audience. Does the same job.