Covid disinformation in the BAME community

I actually completely disagree with the idea this is purely contrarian.

I feel it is all a careful strategy, with the main aim of:
Tories…nasty…….boo…….they are toffs and don‘t care.
labour.…nice…….hurrah……they are of the people and do care.

I suspect we will continue to see some in politics talk of foreign trolls or paid trolls spreading anti covid or anti ‘England football team’ posts on social media………….Yet Labour will remain silent, and will concentrate on: Football….Covid…….Tories bad.

I think some in the Left want the public to believe the Tories are trying to kill the working class……..And based on the fact some on the Left already believe this I can see why they like the idea.
The logical level to deal with covid was and is regional not national. We now have a situation where Labour Mayors are having to tell their transport operators what they actually want them to do rather than criticising the National government.

The logical level to deal with covid was and is regional not national. We now have a situation where Labour Mayors are having to tell their transport operators what they actually want them to do rather than criticising the National government.
Except the Manchester one, he wants the government to make it happen

Chef

LE
Provided it isn't used to score political points, and as it's Labour mayors at the forefront of adding their own little tweaks that's debatable, and doesn't lead to so much confusion that people just ignore it.

Mark Drakeford being interviewed today states that masks will be compulsory on public transport in Wales so people coming from England will have to mask up at the border.

Some shops will demand people mask up despite it, soon, not being a legal requirement in England. I wonder who they enforce that on? Little old ladies or large dangerous looking men? Going by what happens in shops at the moment I'd suggest the former.

Just as an aside, I had the misfortune to visit Ikea in Bristol on Saturday and Sunday (Wifey wanted a trip out!) Anyway, Ikea, like everywhere else, had the sanitiser stands, wear mask signs, traffic light entry to control numbers, loudspeaker announcements to remind people about distancing, etc. In my bored moments I was people watching as one does. Most wore masks. Oriental types wore masks. Caucasian types wore masks. Even gingers wore masks. As ever some people did not go near the sanitiser stands and did not wear masks and strolled around with a "couldn't give a flying F" attitude.

They were ALL from the BAME community. Hip and trendy baseball cap wearing black, overweight Indian/Pakistani types or covered in Somali lady types. No masks. No going near the sanitiers at the entrance.

There is of course no connection between that attitude and the spread of virus amongst the BAME community.

Truxx

LE
Just as an aside, I had the misfortune to visit Ikea in Bristol on Saturday and Sunday (Wifey wanted a trip out!) Anyway, Ikea, like everywhere else, had the sanitiser stands, wear mask signs, traffic light entry to control numbers, loudspeaker announcements to remind people about distancing, etc. In my bored moments I was people watching as one does. Most wore masks. Oriental types wore masks. Caucasian types wore masks. Even gingers wore masks. As ever some people did not go near the sanitiser stands and did not wear masks and strolled around with a "couldn't give a flying F" attitude.

They were ALL from the BAME community. Hip and trendy baseball cap wearing black, overweight Indian/Pakistani types or covered in Somali lady types. No masks. No going near the sanitiers at the entrance.

There is of course no connection between that attitude and the spread of virus amongst the BAME community.
Same detail here, filling up with fuel the other day. Garage cum Spar mini supermarket. Car behind with two young dusky lads who followed me into the shop, neither had a mask and neither sanitised. They got gripped by me (not the shop staff I hasten to add)

We're exempt" they declared

Sanitiser? I said

"That too"

I wished their Nan good luck and got on with my life.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

I saw much the same in a Homebase not so long back. Everyone adhering to the rules.

In walks a mixed-race couple. She, white, turns to him, black, and asks if he's going to put on a mask.

"Nah, fück it," says he, as he gangster-rolls into the place.

The attitude of 'this doesn't apply to me' permeates.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My idea of hell would be IKEA you couldn’t escape from with the Ode to Joy being played loudly on a loop.

Truxx

LE
I thought I'd died and woken up in purgatory......but wifey wanted stuff and then sent me back the next day for more.
The only good thing about Ikea is that they do a van hire for peanuts to take your "Dave" wardrobe home in. He needed to pick up a big 3ph welder so purchased a couple of coat hangars, got the van for a couple of hours for a tenner and grabbed the mother of all welders.

My idea of hell would be IKEA you couldn’t escape from with the Ode to Joy being played loudly on a loop.
You know those short cuts they have in IKEA so you can skip bits?
Yeah, went THE WRONG WAY THROUGH one in IKEA Belfast. Twice. So I went through the same section THREE F***ING TIMES!
Thought I was totally losing it. No smell of sulphur either.

Truxx

LE
You know those short cuts they have in IKEA so you can skip bits?
Yeah, went THE WRONG WAY THROUGH one in IKEA Belfast. Twice. So I went through the same section THREE F***ING TIMES!
Thought I was totally losing it. No smell of sulphur either.
I hope you nicked an extra pocketfull of pencils

syrup

LE
This is contrarian politics for the sake of it. After 'Freedom Day' Khan is now going to insist the TfL enforce the wearing of masks.

One of the biggest problems in London has been the BAME community not wearing masks in public spaces.

He can bleat all he wants he can't enforce it
Mrs S works on the platform and they are routinely told to f off if they challenge anyone about masks.
He on board mates were posting pictures during the Euro's of hundreds of mask less England and Scotland fans crammed into trains.
They couldn't get down the aisles due to people standing in them they were drinking and smoking (not just tobacco) jumping on the seats and more.
Police advised one the the guards just to get the train to London.
In fairness two transport officers aren't going to take on a train load of guys.

It'll be the same on the tube

Plus you can buy an exempt lanyard for about a fiver on the net

I hope you nicked an extra pocketfull of pencils
I used to live within walking distance of an IKEA (right on the M62 J27), back in the old days it was a no brainier to stroll in for the £1 breakfast and a gallon of coffee. The restaurant would be full of truckers with 2 or 3 each, rather than spending a tenner in the service station a mile away...
I always picked up a slack handful of pencils for the kids whose “pencil broke in half last lesson”. Strangely, their noodly little arms never managed to break a 3” pencil.

I used to live within walking distance of an IKEA (right on the M62 J27), back in the old days it was a no brainier to stroll in for the £1 breakfast and a gallon of coffee. The restaurant would be full of truckers with 2 or 3 each, rather than spending a tenner in the service station a mile away...
I always picked up a slack handful of pencils for the kids whose “pencil broke in half last lesson”. Strangely, their noodly little arms never managed to break a 3” pencil.
In Dubai on a Friday morning you couldn't get into the IKEA restaurant as it was mobbed with filipinos on their day off (those type of workers only got one day off, Westerners got Friday & Saturday).

He can bleat all he wants he can't enforce it
Mrs S works on the platform and they are routinely told to f off if they challenge anyone about masks.
He on board mates were posting pictures during the Euro's of hundreds of mask less England and Scotland fans crammed into trains.
They couldn't get down the aisles due to people standing in them they were drinking and smoking (not just tobacco) jumping on the seats and more.
Police advised one the the guards just to get the train to London.
In fairness two transport officers aren't going to take on a train load of guys.

It'll be the same on the tube

Plus you can buy an exempt lanyard for about a fiver on the net
Wouldn't it be great if the train was driven straight into sidings and the 'passengers' were only released onto e.g. wormwood scrubs area after they paid a fine? or hosed down with bleach, purple dye, piss and then bleach again?

Awol

LE
I have to say I have a soft spot for Ikea. Several years ago I visited one in very northern France (can’t remember exactly where), but it was on a day trip from Belgium.
I did the usual thing, wandered around the two miles of furniture, bounced up and down on a couple of chairs and beds, bought a towel rack or something equally useless and left. Back in my car I realised that my phone was missing from my back pocket..... I rushed back into the store and hurriedly retraced my steps, all two miles of them, but nothing.

On the way out I spied a customer service desk and thought, “what the hell, I’ve got nothing to lose” and approached the nice young people standing there.

I said, struggling with 45 year old O level French, “j’ai perdu un err,, telephone”

“Ah oui Monsieur, une mobile! Rouge, un Motorola?”

It turned out that in my enthusiastic jumping on beds and chairs, my phone had escaped my pocket, but had been picked up by an honest Frenchman. To his eternal credit he hadn’t nicked it (as sadly most people, both English and French, might have done) but had gone through my address book, avoided the tarts and ladyboys, and called my mum, who doesn’t speak a single word of French. She almost wet herself with fear thinking he was a French copper and I was currently bleeding out at a Gallic RTA, but eventually got the picture, but couldn’t, because of the language barrier give an address or anything.

Anyway, Monsieur LeDecentChap then did the only thing left to a truly honest fellow and handed the phone into the Customer Services Counter, from where I collected it. Unfortunately he didn’t leave any forwarding details so I was unable in any way to thank him.

But I’m grateful, and it somehow, in some small way, made up for the fact that I had recently been robbed in France of 300 euros, then 500 euros and then finally 7000 euros. And I wasn’t an easy target, always chaining things down in cars and coaches.

After the last and biggest theft, I went back to the same area, with a loaded rucksack, primed with something that @dingerr might recognise, waited hidden, and came within minutes of causing mayhem in a little white Clio 6023ZH59. I did however report them to the police who were next to useless, but who left the front office long enough for me to dash around the counter a get the registered address of that car.

I was at the address (in Lille) the same afternoon.

But I’ve probably been offthread long enough.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I saw much the same in a Homebase not so long back. Everyone adhering to the rules.

In walks a mixed-race couple. She, white, turns to him, black, and asks if he's going to put on a mask.

"Nah, fück it," says he, as he gangster-rolls into the place.

The attitude of 'this doesn't apply to me' permeates.
Living in a sprawling Metropolis as I do, I've noticed that some of the BAME community tend to wear masks whilst walking the streets, then take them off as they sit on public transport before putting them on again when leaving said transport!

Deliberate campaign of disinformation - I read that 'don't risk it' stories doing the rounds in BAME communities were trackable to a handful of originating social media accounts, but here are personal accounts of being approached to do promotion for recompense, but without owning up to spreading the script for cash - against social media transparency rules. Interesting and destructive.

Last edited:

Latest Threads