Covid disinformation in the BAME community

Any particular reason 8 of them had to go and visit granny in Pakistan, when it has been frowned upon to visit granny a 5 minute walk away?
Eid holiday, she couldn't come to UK because the damned authorities have been interfering and stopping the slaughter of goats in your back garden. They had to go there to do it properly. Simples.

Any particular reason 8 of them had to go and visit granny in Pakistan, when it has been frowned upon to visit granny a 5 minute walk away?

I'd also ask what's the problem?

She was taken from quarantine to a hospital, treated, then returned to quarantine. Because you know, she has Cv19 as indicated by the bloody hospital trip.
Also, there seems to be some complaint about 8 of them in two rooms... Book more rooms then!
I love how the assumption is they'd get an exemption from Quarantine for some reason, then they're shocked when it doesn't appear, but as they're applying for it in the middle of their little non-essential trip. Lack of proper planning I fear.

From the Daily Telegraph:

Coronavirus latest news: Indian variant risks pushing Britain into third wave, Sage scientist warns​

The Indian variant risks pushing Britain into a third wave of coronavirus, a Sage scientist has claimed, despite Boris Johnson’s "increasing confidence" that the lifting of lockdown is on track.

Prof Andrew Hayward, who researches infectious diseases at University College London, said he was "very concerned" about the Indian variant due to its higher transmissibility.

Asked on BBC Breakfast whether the country was at the start of the third wave, he said "I think so" and called for travel to be "minimised full-stop".

"I think what we can see is that this strain can circulate very effectively, although it was originally imported through travel to India, it's spread fairly effectively first of all within households and now more broadly within communities, so I don't really see why it wouldn't continue to spread in other parts of the country," he said.

"Obviously we're doing everything we can to contain the spread, but it's likely that more generalised measures may start to be needed to control it."

Prof Hayward's warning comes after the Prime Minister stressed there was no reason to deviate from England’s roadmap out of lockdown. A final decision on whether the June 21 proposed end date of restrictions will go ahead will be made on June 14.

But Prof Jonathan Van-Tam, England’s deputy chief medical officer, has said hospitalisations are very low and the strain is thought to be less transmissable than initially feared.

I wonder at what's being done to address this within certain communities. Reference is made on the BBC thread to it being wedding/dowry season.

Frankly, if that be the case then it should have been gripped.

Chef

LE
Stop marrying close relatives

As one of the family seems to suffer from a serious illness, brittle asthma, I'm surprised they thought a trip abroad was a good idea in the first place;

'As someone with "brittle" or "unstable" asthma - in which any asthma attack can quickly become life-threatening - she often needs medical treatment at home in Bradford, and stress can be a trigger.'

Seven plus hours on the plane. Achievable I'd suppose but why take the risk? Especially with that there Covid on the loose too.

I don't imagine some of the cities in Pakistan compare well with Bradford for pollution and other asthma triggers. But I expect the medical services are able to cope with extra demands for Oxygen.

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
"Khan, 17, arrived at the Heathrow Holiday Inn on 12 April with her parents and five younger siblings, after a trip to Pakistan to visit her ailing grandmother."

"Both Bradford families now face a considerable bill [for hotel quarantine]. For Uzma Khan and her husband, the £5,000 they owe will be taken out of their benefit payments over the next 12 months."

8 x return flights to Pakistan costs how much I wonder?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
"Khan, 17, arrived at the Heathrow Holiday Inn on 12 April with her parents and five younger siblings, after a trip to Pakistan to visit her ailing grandmother."

"Both Bradford families now face a considerable bill [for hotel quarantine]. For Uzma Khan and her husband, the £5,000 they owe will be taken out of their benefit payments over the next 12 months."

Indeed - given that the quarantine costs will be taken out of their benefits payments.

Fine​

Your local council can give each parent a fine of £60, which rises to £120 each if you do not pay within 21 days. If you do not pay the fine after 28 days you may be prosecuted for your child’s absence from school.

Last edited:
In the NW we have been locked down longer and harder (fnarr!) than any other region in the UK and whilst I can't point fingers towards certain communities, the local press have been listing infection rates by postcode/estate since last March, and it is telling that certain area are much more succeptable to outbreaks over others. I'll leave it to you to decide which ones.
On the topic of crowded housing, it is a problem all over the region, but then again, it is a choice. It's very common for some to live with their parents, get married, then have kids, all whilst living under the same roof still (the wife will move in with hubby and his parents) then start to have kids.
I really do wonder what century we are living in and why this level of selfishness (avoiding quarentine) is being defended by some politicians?

For those of us who have played by the rules for the past year it more than irks.
Right up there with London going into tier three last December and watching the stations there get flooded by people heading north to 'escape' You can see the NW rates jump dramatically a week after that event.
I'm going for a beer inside a pub either tomorrow or Tuesday (my first since they opened) before we get locked down again.

*Bit of a rambling rant and apologies for it being all over the place.

Some chance. There are Lawyers sniffing around the case looking for Racism and Prejudice.
I've not seen otherwise, on the website you either pay up front or apply for a gov't loan - like if you were abroad, lost everything & got a plane ticket from the embassy

Good point.
My Mam has been stuck in her nursing home since all this kicked off and I've been able to see her once in that time.
To do that I had to pre-book with the home.

Simple, some people think the rules don't apply to them. I've been told to give special consideration ie. extra marks, for several kids 'who have been badly affected by COVID and it may impact their exam results'.

I have no issue with the genuine cases having special treatment but for several individuals whose families decided to go on holiday abroad over Easter? **** them.

Good point.
My Mam has been stuck in her nursing home since all this kicked off and I've been able to see her once in that time.
To do that I had to pre-book with the home.
My Dad went into a home just after lockdown started. Last weekend was the first time I'd been able to see him in over 6 months.

A genuine question here. I know many commentators, and not just on here, bemoan the fact that there is always some kind of delay in between announcing a country/region is now forbidden for travel and actually stopping flights/travel to/from these places.
What is the reason for allowing this short space of time which allows for many people to slip through the gaps in 'procedures'?

A genuine question here. I know many commentators, and not just on here, bemoan the fact that there is always some kind of delay in between announcing a country/region is now forbidden for travel and actually stopping flights/travel to/from these places.
What is the reason for allowing this short space of time which allows for many people to slip through the gaps in 'procedures'?
There would have to be a short time to get people briefed, airline staff readied, I suppose.
Things like flights in progress from Aus/NZ etc, don't see why they couldn't be let in flight by flight.
Maybe it's a diplomatic thing?
I agree though - shut it & shut it properly.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
This is contrarian politics for the sake of it. After 'Freedom Day' Khan is now going to insist the TfL enforce the wearing of masks.

One of the biggest problems in London has been the BAME community not wearing masks in public spaces.

Truxx

LE
This is contrarian politics for the sake of it. After 'Freedom Day' Khan is now going to insist the TfL enforce the wearing of masks.

One of the biggest problems in London has been the BAME community not wearing masks in public spaces.

There is plenty on Facebook, including a few comments from people travelling on the tube this very morning, highlighting the fact that only about half of those around them were actually wearing masks anyway.

As ever ther is a vast gap between gesture and reality

Slime

LE

I actually completely disagree with the idea this is purely contrarian.

I feel it is all a careful strategy, with the main aim of:
Tories…nasty…….boo…….they are toffs and don‘t care.
labour.…nice…….hurrah……they are of the people and do care.

I suspect we will continue to see some in politics talk of foreign trolls or paid trolls spreading anti covid or anti ‘England football team’ posts on social media………….Yet Labour will remain silent, and will concentrate on: Football….Covid…….Tories bad.

I think some in the Left want the public to believe the Tories are trying to kill the working class……..And based on the fact some on the Left already believe this I can see why they like the idea.

Personally I will keep using my mask for 2 reasons:

1. I am Ugly and the public need protecting
2. For 18 months I have been telling people to f*** off and they didn't even know.