Covid disinformation in the BAME community

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Even then you can have universal practices that are discriminatory. take the exciting example of the HS guidance notes No75. It clearly states females are inferior to men when it comes to physical strength. However, that's not a get out clause to avoid using Females in a physical role, as you need to make reasonable adjustments to cater for female workers (IE: allow females to move smaller loads).

What can't be reasonably adjusted is the duty of care.

Equally it comes from the employees side:

That's pretty clear. Where the crunch comes is from comparing it with other pieces of legislation, such as discrimination legislation. Which I hope will come down to 'does my religion trump the HASWA?'. As I suspect, and hope, the religion will loose.

The argument, which has been gone over many times before on this thread is: You do not have to have the vaccination, but you'll need it, as you would need a qualification, to do this job.
Don't get me wrong, I'm in agreement.

My point is that the solutions are and should be really rather blunt. It would knock on the head spurious claims of racism and discrimination. For instance, you'll get lots of self-declaring Christians in this country who'll happily have the jab. But then other Christians will claim it's 'against their religion' despite ostensibly praying to the same god. Rinse and repeat with Islam and anyone else you care to mention.

It's prejudice and control wrapped up in a professed set of beliefs and you're spot on. Someone's arcane interpretation of how the universe works, which will often be based on the prejudices of a few controlling elderly males with a mindset from centuries ago, should not be allowed to potentially endanger my life just because I have to use public transport.

IMG-20210325-WA0000.jpg

From this I take it that the information is not getting through or is it a cultural/religious thing

It's because they can't get their Type 1 Diabetes ravaged bodies down to the clinic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in agreement.

My point is that the solutions are and should be really rather blunt. It would knock on the head spurious claims of racism and discrimination. For instance, you'll get lots of self-declaring Christians in this country who'll happily have the jab. But then other Christians will claim it's 'against their religion' despite ostensibly praying to the same god. Rinse and repeat with Islam and anyone else you care to mention.

It's prejudice and control wrapped up in a professed set of beliefs and you're spot on. Someone's arcane interpretation of how the universe works, which will often be based on the prejudices of a few controlling elderly males with a mindset from centuries ago, should not be allowed to potentially endanger my life just because I have to use public transport.
There's a lot of 'what to do, and why to do' with religion, but very little 'what happens when...'

Images of Mo (peas), for instance.

What to do - don't create imagery of Mo (peas)
Why - Mo (peas) wanted the only one true god to be idolised and not him, without the imagery, they could not worship etc...
But what actually happens to a muslim if they accidently look at an image of Mo (peas)...?

They melt?

Oddly, the answer is absolutely nothing at all.

Weak.

Even then you can have universal practices that are discriminatory. take the exciting example of the HS guidance notes No75. It clearly states females are inferior to men when it comes to physical strength. However, that's not a get out clause to avoid using Females in a physical role, as you need to make reasonable adjustments to cater for female workers (IE: allow females to move smaller loads).

What can't be reasonably adjusted is the duty of care.

Equally it comes from the employees side:

That's pretty clear. Where the crunch comes is from comparing it with other pieces of legislation, such as discrimination legislation. Which I hope will come down to 'does my religion trump the HASWA?'. As I suspect, and hope, the religion will loose.

The argument, which has been gone over many times before on this thread is: You do not have to have the vaccination, but you'll need it, as you would need a qualification, to do this job.
The usual suspects will lie and share docs or use fake ones .

There's a lot of 'what to do, and why to do' with religion, but very little 'what happens when...'

Images of Mo (peas), for instance.

What to do - don't create imagery of Mo (peas)
Why - Mo (peas) wanted the only one true god to be idolised and not him, without the imagery, they could not worship etc...
But what actually happens to a muslim if they accidently look at an image of Mo (peas)...?

They melt?

Oddly, the answer is absolutely nothing at all.

Weak.
They don't melt, but you do when they set fire to you.

Nice one Sir Lenny Henry you tosser. Nothing like having a dig at the Govt Grrr instead of the real issue here.

Asked why there was caution in the black community about having the vaccine, Sir Lenny blamed an "element of mistrust" in the system.

He said people felt "certain institutions and authorities haven't particularly done right by the black community in the past" so asked "why should they do something for us now? Why are they doing us all a big favour?"

Asked if the UK government had done enough to build up the trust of the black community, Sir Lenny said: "They waited and that's why we're in this terrible situation, so it's a bit ironic to accuse the black community of hesitating.

Ironic you say? Tosser.

Nice one Sir Lenny Henry you tosser. Nothing like having a dig at the Govt Grrr instead of the real issue here.

Asked why there was caution in the black community about having the vaccine, Sir Lenny blamed an "element of mistrust" in the system.

He said people felt "certain institutions and authorities haven't particularly done right by the black community in the past" so asked "why should they do something for us now? Why are they doing us all a big favour?"

Asked if the UK government had done enough to build up the trust of the black community, Sir Lenny said: "They waited and that's why we're in this terrible situation, so it's a bit ironic to accuse the black community of hesitating.

Ironic you say? Tosser.
In that article "Don't talk to someone down the pub...errr hello you f*ckwit".

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

Ironic you say? Tosser.
Anyone else noticed that if you add an ‘L’ to ‘BAME’ you get ‘BLAME’?

Tedious that it’s always someone else’s fault.

Katanga, my friend.

Anyone else noticed that if you add an ‘L’ to ‘BAME’ you get ‘BLAME’?

Tedious that it’s always someone else’s fault.

Katanga, my friend.
The reason that there isn't the take up of vaccines is not because of racism or lack of information, it is purely cultural and religious.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The reason that there isn't the take up of vaccines is not because of racism or lack of information, it is purely cultural and religious.
Quite. That last line about government hesitating is weapons-grade bull. The BAME angle has been played up mercilessly since the very beginning of this. You have not at any stage in this last year and more been able to move without being made aware of the effects of this ‘racist virus’.

And engagement is a two-way process. “What are you going to do for us?” should be “How can we play our part in this?”.

Quite. That last line about government hesitating is weapons-grade bull. The BAME angle has been played up mercilessly since the very beginning of this. You have not at any stage in this last year and more been able to move without being made aware of the effects of this ‘racist virus’.

And engagement is a two-way process. “What are you going to do for us?” should be “How can we play our part in this?”.
Exactly.

What does Sir Lenny mean when he says: "Why are they doing us all a big favour?"

What do you mean by "us' Lenny? Do you mean a favour for Black Britons or do you mean us with a capital U in that by BAME taking the vaccine it protects non BAME too?

Latest Threads