Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Covid 19 testing

A friend of mine left the forces earlier this year and has been unable to get a job, in spite of being well qualified in programme and project delivery. Timing is everything. However, he applied for Civil Service jobs including a Grade 6 role (roughly equivalent to Capt/Col/Gp Capt) with the Department of Health Test and Trace. He was eventually interviewed (six weeks after the application deadline) by two young guys (mid 20s) including one called Iqbal and wearing a Sunni prayer cap apparently. They explained that they were contracted-in to interview candidates, but admitted they knew nothing about the roles on offer and when applicants would be notified of the outcome.

He was notified a week later that he had met the standard for Grade 6 but that there were no jobs available. Three days later he received an email confirming a G6 offer. Which changed to a G7 and then back to a G6 within a week. Knowing that I deal a lot with the Civil Service in my current role, he has been sharing with me the bizarre email trail.

Fast forward another couple of weeks, he receives a call telling him that his IT is ready (before he had received confirmation of the position). He goes into Victoria St, London, picked up his IT (no id asked for...) and then I met him for a socially-distanced drink at the Club. This was over a week ago. He dutifully logs on each morning to no email, and apart from contacting HR several times asking who his 'vacancy holder' is, he has heard nothing. Not bad for roughly £200 per day gross.

A shambles...I am encouraging him to write to his MP about this...but he also knows he's on to a good thing. But none of this surprises me in the least. I thought the MOD was a bit inefficient, as was the FCDO, but that's nothing compared with other departments!
That's heartening to know. The £200 per day for a G6 bit, that is.

TBGB

Clanker
What is not true about that statement?

You could apply that to pretty much anything because people will inevitably take advantage of 'free' stuff, whether they need it or not.
Yep. When we offer free (add on services) it gets abused. When we add a charge, which is refunded if our products are ordered, we see far fewer revisions or timewasters.

I only threatened porky in my last couple of working years behind a desk, 5-10 years ago (I'm not now).

I still have scars on my Achilles tendon from five years of wearing BCH in the 1980s (so that I continued to wear my DMS for any footwork until I left). BCH were sh¡t.

While in full racing-snake mode I also had achilles injuries from BCH. After NHS and private treatment (army suggested 'rest', but the cross-country season was approaching, so . . .) the recovery was painful but complete. A different MO suggested lacing low down, similar to DMS height, then holding the top together with another trouser-blouser elastic. Fortunately this was seen to be visually acceptable, and so I did another 5 1/2 years using the boots with that method of lacing.

happyuk

War Hero
Kung-Flu numbers aren't big enough to scare the population shitless any more. Better start combining them with actual flu so we can keep the fear narrative going.
National COVID-19 surveillance reports

I'm going through tons of hand gel and disinfectant at the moment. Because of where SWMBO & me work we've got to be extra careful.
Hospital acquired Infection is now a very real issue.

I'm going through tons of hand gel and disinfectant at the moment. Because of where SWMBO & me work we've got to be extra careful.
Hospital acquired Infection is now a very real issue.
Against my better judgement, SWMBO batted her eyelids ( as usual) spoke in her soft Highland dulcet tones ( as usual) and got her way (as usual) meaning we ended up 22 miles away at Dobbies for lunch.:mad:
Effing Armaggedon. Tables were distanced OK, but it seemed to be Stirlingshire's Annual Retard Day Off.
One fekker around my age actually got so close in the till check out his tray popped mine forward 6" or so, to which I turned and asked him if he was a full blown certified retard or just a fresher in a 4 year Honours Degree in Fu**ing stupidity. His SWMBO looked like a bunny caught in the middle of car headlamps...hoping..but realising too late it was a Reliant Robin bearing down.....
He backed off 2 meters....him being about 5'1 and me 6'.
Little knut....

Against my better judgement, SWMBO batted her eyelids ( as usual) spoke in her soft Highland dulcet tones ( as usual) and got her way (as usual) meaning we ended up 22 miles away at Dobbies for lunch.:mad:
Effing Armaggedon. Tables were distanced OK, but it seemed to be Stirlingshire's Annual Retard Day Off.
One fekker around my age actually got so close in the till check out his tray popped mine forward 6" or so, to which I turned and asked him if he was a full blown certified retard or just a fresher in a 4 year Honours Degree in Fu**ing stupidity. His SWMBO looked like a bunny caught in the middle of car headlamps...hoping..but realising too late it was a Reliant Robin bearing down.....
He backed off 2 meters....him being about 5'1 and me 6'.
Little knut....
You big bully.

Was his Mrs fit?

Latest Threads