Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Covid 19 testing

My boss managed to get hold of track and trace at last. They reckoned they sent me a text message on the Friday morning.

Just had a phone call off them, the lady was very polite and explained that there seems to be a problem with the system as the text showed as received by me. I explained to her that my phone won't take text messages from unknown numbers as my spam filters are set up that way.
She's putting it up the chain as there's been numerous people that have had texts sent but haven't had them.

Oh.. I tested Negative.

My boss managed to get hold of track and trace at last. They reckoned they sent me a text message on the Friday morning.

Just had a phone call off them, the lady was very polite and explained that there seems to be a problem with the system as the text showed as received by me. I explained to her that my phone won't take text messages from unknown numbers as my spam filters are set up that way.
She's putting it up the chain as there's been numerous people that have had texts sent but haven't had them.

Oh.. I tested Negative.
So, it was entirely your fault that the text they sent was blocked by your phone. Well done you.

So, it was entirely your fault that the text they sent was blocked by your phone. Well done you.
Nope.
Text should have shown as Not delivered by their system.
The very nice lady who rang me confirmed that they have a glitch with their system.

We also gave the home phone number as I couldn't remember the wife's mobile number. No contact via those means either. So it seems to me that somebody forgot to contact us.

Last edited:
That's why it's failing, the current governments view of Coronavirus testing.

'When a service is free, it's inevitable that demand will rise'. Hancock.

His name seems to be quite apt -

When people had to pay for the test then it keep demand subdued, oh it has been free since March has it not

Archie

His name seems to be quite apt -

When people had to pay for the test then it keep demand subdued, oh it has been free since March has it not

Archie
The 5p carrier bag theory can be applied to the NHS.
A nominal charge for services won't fix the NHS financial black hole, but just like 5p at Tescos won't specifically save the turtles, it will fundamentally change behaviours and make people think about their behaviours.

Except the obvious exemptions from charges (kids, pensioners etc) I would propose a nominal tariff something like:
  • GP visit £15
  • AE Visit/Treatment - £30
  • Covid test £35 (or take the 14 days self isolation for free).

Last edited:
'When a service is free, it's inevitable that demand will rise'. Hancock.

What is not true about that statement?

You could apply that to pretty much anything because people will inevitably take advantage of 'free' stuff, whether they need it or not.

Given it's impossible to get a test, how will proof of guilt and a £10K fine be possible?

We must self-isolate but without a confirmed bomb-proof* clinical diagnosis it will be impossible to prove if its covid, a seasonal cold or even an allergy. Unless the crime will be not self-isolating with suspected symptoms - if the latter - a dangerous path to tread.

*there is a growing weight of evidence regarding the efficacy and accuracy of tests and testing, false positives, false negatives etc.

I noticed a new testing centre has appeared in a car park on Hastings sea front. Several vehicles, trailers, water bowsers, gennys etc
Most had a logo for “On Set” on them, some sort of film and tv supply company apparently.

Oh.. I tested Negative.
You could be positive by now, such is the beauty of Corona.

wifes school had 10 home test kits, i take the idea is to get teaching back in asap, 1st one had no swap sticks and the 2nd had mis match barcodes, world beating eh

A private school near here has now bought it's own testing machine. Results in 90 minutes apparently. They plan to share it with two other local schools.

A private school near here has now bought it's own testing machine. Results in 90 minutes apparently. They plan to share it with two other local schools.

Sounds like the SAMBA II machine developed by Prof Helen Lee and her team at Diagnostics for the Real World in Cambridge.

Only around the size of an average domestic coffee machine and originally designed for diagnosing HIV, it has been reconfigured to use for covid-19 testing.

happyuk

War Hero
Daily reminder: if you have symptoms in the UK, DO NOT get a Covid-19 test as you are just encouraging local authorities to enforce regional lockdowns.

A friend of mine left the forces earlier this year and has been unable to get a job, in spite of being well qualified in programme and project delivery. Timing is everything. However, he applied for Civil Service jobs including a Grade 6 role (roughly equivalent to Capt/Col/Gp Capt) with the Department of Health Test and Trace. He was eventually interviewed (six weeks after the application deadline) by two young guys (mid 20s) including one called Iqbal and wearing a Sunni prayer cap apparently. They explained that they were contracted-in to interview candidates, but admitted they knew nothing about the roles on offer and when applicants would be notified of the outcome.

He was notified a week later that he had met the standard for Grade 6 but that there were no jobs available. Three days later he received an email confirming a G6 offer. Which changed to a G7 and then back to a G6 within a week. Knowing that I deal a lot with the Civil Service in my current role, he has been sharing with me the bizarre email trail.

Fast forward another couple of weeks, he receives a call telling him that his IT is ready (before he had received confirmation of the position). He goes into Victoria St, London, picked up his IT (no id asked for...) and then I met him for a socially-distanced drink at the Club. This was over a week ago. He dutifully logs on each morning to no email, and apart from contacting HR several times asking who his 'vacancy holder' is, he has heard nothing. Not bad for roughly £200 per day gross.

A shambles...I am encouraging him to write to his MP about this...but he also knows he's on to a good thing. But none of this surprises me in the least. I thought the MOD was a bit inefficient, as was the FCDO, but that's nothing compared with other departments!

Latest Threads