COVID-19 mobilisation

A number of reserve signals are being used.

Precisely because we normally utilise that existing infra and integrate it into military and more robust comms. That is the UK Ops piece, aswell as the fact we train and exercise with civil police etc. Which the regulars don't.
By existing infra, I mean MODNET, which clearly doesn't need integrating into the military. You're not deploying bowman, or falcon, or anything else. At best you've got some officers wielding lumi colours and a PowerPoint presentation, and some juniors doing IT helpdesk, "oi Jimmy, how do I get this presentation to left indent?", "Go make me a brew", "my phone isn't working" (have you tried plugging it in Sir?)

And since when did you train with the police? I can't believe it would have been as a stab scaley sprig on a normal TA training weekend.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I might treat myself to one of those patches.

By existing infra, I mean MODNET, which clearly doesn't need integrating into the military.
It does. It can't be accessed by reservists unless at a modnet terminal. Oh, and the helpdesk doesn't work after 1700...

QRK2

LE
By existing infra, I mean MODNET, which clearly doesn't need integrating into the military. You're not deploying bowman, or falcon, or anything else. At best you've got some officers wielding lumi colours and a PowerPoint presentation, and some juniors doing IT helpdesk, "oi Jimmy, how do I get this presentation to left indent?", "Go make me a brew", "my phone isn't working" (have you tried plugging it in Sir?)

And since when did you train with the police? I can't believe it would have been as a stab scaley sprig on a normal TA training weekend.
That post is probably the best reason I've seen thus far on this thread for using STABs over ARABs, given its mix of incorrect assumptions and lack of recognition of what integrating with civilian authorities/organisations really needs.

Mesaboogie

Swinger
Well I've just read that 10 (Lovat Scouts) Field Troop (based in the Orkney Islands) have all volunteered to mobilise. Apparently they might be needed to build things or move stuff about.

Yep.

And a number of exercises run by the various emergency responders, sometimes weekdays, other times weekends. Part of the emergency preparedness they have to do under various acts these days.

I am not on this one for various reasons, but it is likely they have LOs sat in hq's, with mobile modnet, possibly connected via a broadband connection. Some of our IAs are likely Sat on kit alongside regulars too!

Chimp

ADC

Oh, and not all military communications systems are owned, or indeed used, by the regulars - there are a number of assets and capabilities held by the reserves only - it is in-fact more than likely that a couple of these are located in each of the expansion hospitals, and emergency morgues.

I know this as I helped write some of the plans for them some years ago.

What I've found quite telling is the amount of email and phone requests coming down from on high for information on what units are holding and is it good to go. We're mandated to keep some ridiculously dire IT updated with this sort of information, we're told it's vital we do so because this is what the higher ups look at to determine availability and the like, we are even inspected (seemingly constantly) to ensure we are doing this.
I strongly suspect all that time sat in front of a computer has been wasted as no one else looks at it........:mad:

Last edited:
Regarding the use of reservists so correct me if Im wrong but given the fact that alot of the outbreaks are in cities and therefore alot of the delivery of PPE is to city based hospitals. Surely it does indeed make sense, for RLC reserve units whose trucks and vehicles are in AR centres in cities, to do the delivery. I.e. its genuinely easier logistically for them to do the delivery than a regular unit?

Latest Threads