Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Covid 19 - how long will the public tolerate a lockdown?

Hardly, as I said earlier, I'm one of the big winners.

It doesn't change the essential truth that, if sufficient numbers of people don't believe that the system gives them a fair chance to participate, they're likely to listen to those proposing alternatives.

To any thinking person, this chart should be a cause for concern:

View attachment 517251
1604414905816.png

Here's your problem mate, it's London and the rest of the South. Come move up North, houses are cheap and the women are easy.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I would generally disagree with your statement and I'm one of the under forties you refer to. My parents didn't have a lot of money while I was growing up, my dad was one of the many unemployed at the time (I still remember the moment he found out he was being laid off). I didn't get Levi jeans or the latest trainers to wear, we only had two holidays abroad until after I moved out. They weren't able to make a big windfall on property as you suggest, they were barely able to hold on to their home at all. Even today it's still worth well under 100k.

What they did invest in, was me. Despite growing up in a not the nicest of areas and us not having very much they made sure I had what I needed to get to university and make a go of things. And yes, I finished uni with a not unsubstantial amount of debt which I finished paying off about 5 years ago.

I now own two homes (handy to have a spare), two cars (sadly no motorbike anymore SHMBO made me give it up when we had kids) and travel abroad extensively. I'm eternally thankful that my children don't have to grow up watching their parents struggle to make ends meet, to have "Nicks" instead of Nike and will be able to enjoy all the things that I didn't get to do growing up.

It's because of them and their sacrifices that I enjoy the quality of life that I do and I'll never be able to repay them for it. I would suggest that if the under forties are struggling to make ends meet, despite the over sixties enjoying this tremendous windfall you describe, it's not a case of a bad generation but poor parents.

Anyway, you sound very bitter about it all, best not to get too worked up about it.

Good for you and as long as the majority of your generation and those following you have the same great good luck, all will be well.

It's not a question of being bitter, it's a question of taking a wider view, applying common sense and understanding that a stable and therefore successful society is one where the vast majority are invested in it and can access some of the advantages and win some of the time.

Some of us are trying to consider how that might best be achieved and it's not obvious why trashing the economy whilst smashing the life chances of the under thirties should be the preferred way forward.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Er, house prices go up, London house prices go totally hatstand?

Is there some hidden message there?

Don't be obtuse - look at the price to earnings ratios.

Good for you and as long as the majority of your generation and those following you have the same great good luck, all will be well.

It's not a question of being bitter, it's a question of taking a wider view, applying common sense and understanding that a stable and therefore successful society is one where the vast majority are invested in it and can access some of the advantages and win some of the time.

Some of us are trying to consider how that might best be achieved and it's not obvious why trashing the economy whilst smashing the life chances of the under thirties should be the preferred way forward.

I don't necessarily disagree with your latter points. If you're going to look at it objectively and remove the emotive part of the argument, is an 85 year old shuffling off their mortal coil 6 months early because of COVID equal to a 10 year old having their life and future prospects ruined? Possibly not. But the emotive part of that argument will never be discounted.

For the first point. Yes, an element of luck, in the normal sense and in the sense lucky that my parents put me and my sister before their own desires. A good chunk of it however was sheer bloody minded hard work on my part and it's fairly disingenuous to suggest that it was all just "great good luck". Guess I could have just kicked back and demanded everyone else owed me a living.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't necessarily disagree with your latter points. If you're going to look at it objectively and remove the emotive part of the argument, is an 85 year old shuffling off their mortal coil 6 months early because of COVID equal to a 10 year old having their life and future prospects ruined? Possibly not. But the emotive part of that argument will never be discounted.

For the first point. Yes, an element of luck, in the normal sense and in the sense lucky that my parents put me and my sister before their own desires. A good chunk of it however was sheer bloody minded hard work on my part and it's fairly disingenuous to suggest that it was all just "great good luck". Guess I could have just kicked back and demanded everyone else owed me a living.

Only you can know how lucky or otherwise you've been.

The essential point is that you are, by definition, in a minority and plenty of grafters don't get rich for whatever reason. Most people can live with that as long as they feel they have a fair chance. Once the majority of people, or at least a significant minority, decide they're playing a game they can't possibly win, there's going to be trouble for everyone.

If I was in government, I'd be prioritising the under forties and saving jobs and businesses - short of a vaccine, we'll have to choose that way sooner or later.

Only you can know how lucky or otherwise you've been.

The essential point is that you are, by definition, in a minority and plenty of grafters don't get rich for whatever reason. Most people can live with that as long as they feel they have a fair chance. Once the majority of people, or at least a significant minority, decide they're playing a game they can't possibly win, there's going to be trouble for everyone.

If I was in government, I'd be prioritising the under forties and saving jobs and businesses - short of a vaccine, we'll have to choose that way sooner or later.
Again, I don't necessarily completely disagree with your latter point. No point saving the nation if their isn't any nation left at the end of it. However, no government is going to commit to sacrificing any age group on the alter of the economy, it would be political suicide and in the case of the current government, would play right into the "evil Tories" mindset.

As for my luck, Mrs DD is a GWAR yet my son has a wonderful head of brown hair like myself. I thank my lucky stars every day.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
If you follow that to its logical extreme you should stay indoors and talk only to yourself.

If there's a conspiracy out there, it's to make people believe that nobody tells the truth.
There is no conspiracy.
But "they" have set up a system to make everyone to think there is.

Silksheen

Swinger
Jesus Christ. What have we become ?? .. Arrested for taking your mum out of a care home ?? .. Looks like people are finally starting to act though.

Wales is in it's 2nd week of lockdown, exercise within 5 Miles of Home, do not leave home unless it's for emergency or essentials.

I had a bimble up Pen Y Fan yesterday morning and there were plenty of people about, all youngsters, the ones I spoke with were from Cardiff and Ebbw Vale - both areas of local lockdown before the full lockdown.

No one gives a shit.

Nice day, **** you.

Er, house prices go up, London house prices go totally hatstand?

Is there some hidden message there?

Think mine house has gone up 6% this year, which is a lot more than I expected

Country living with views is very now though

Lockdown Part 2 - Day One

- Went to feed the horses and stopped for a Costa Express on the way.
- Drove 15 miles to a Starbucks Drive Thru for a lovely hot drink and a cake.
- Visited the supermarket, cause I can, and again never wore a filthy and submissive face mask
- Watched several Vlogs listening to people begging to be locked down as they all think they're going to die.
- Listened to an interview on Talk Radio with Dr Mike Yeadon highlighting that everything that you're being told is a lie.

I'm 50; grown up kid, very small mortgage, no real financial pressures.

Considering the future, I feel for the young families with high rent/mortgage and job insecurity.

I'm glad I'm not in their shoes if I'm honest.

Wales is in it's 2nd week of lockdown, exercise within 5 Miles of Home, do not leave home unless it's for emergency or essentials.

I had a bimble up Pen Y Fan yesterday morning and there were plenty of people about, all youngsters, the ones I spoke with were from Cardiff and Ebbw Vale - both areas of local lockdown before the full lockdown.

No one gives a shit.

Nice day, **** you.

I spoke to an elderly Welsh lass who is recovering from cancer today.

She told me in whispered tones that she broke lockdown to go to Lydney (England) today and visited a cafe.

I gave her some big 'tut tuts'.

She was very naughty.

There's no limits on how far you can exercise, but exercise should start and finish from home.

So you could do a 100 mile bike ride and that would be fine, as long as you start and finish from home:

Noticing a slightly different dynamic with the Covid breach reports this second lockdown. There is a noticeable number of people reporting anonymously / "on behalf of their partner" - a workplace they or their "partner" currently work at. All the reports are along the lines of "The boss tested positive last week and he's still in work - all the employees have been in contact with him too". "I tested positive for Covid but my partner hasn't - his boss is still telling him he's got to go into work".

The first lockdown provided what was essentially a holiday for a few months during the summer, for some people. They were the ones out in their hot tubs until 03:00 partying away-keeping the poor buggers who still had to work wideawake. Then they got up and clapped for them every Thursday.

I get the impression that a significant number of people actually feel slightly aggrieved they are still required to work during this lockdown-as opposed to sitting at home on full pay or whatever they got previously.
I also get the impression a Covid diagnosis is a golden ticket for some - have to isolate due to Covid...ESA and other perks (which Im not really clued up on).

I think however we tackle Covid- we also need to tackle the method, and ensure its not susceptible to exploitation from the sectors of society that prefer money for no work.

TOWIE mongs. I hope they're made to pay for in total, and contribute labour to, the repairs before they head off for some time at HM pleasure.

'Three people have been arrested after a 500-year-old church was trashed during an illegal New Year’s Eve party attended by hundreds of revellers. All Saints Church in East Horndon, Essex, was left with more than £1,000 worth of damage as ravers turned it into a party venue with a bar, DJ decks and Portaloos.

'Parishoners said they were ‘devastated’ by the damage caused and estimated the bill for repairs to the Grade II* listed building could cost four figures. Essex Police said officers had been threatened and had objects thrown at them while trying to shut the event down.

'Essex is currently in tier four of coronavirus restrictions and people were told to stay at home for New Year’s Eve.'

TOWIE mongs. I hope they're made to pay for in total, and contribute labour to, the repairs before they head off for some time at HM pleasure.

'Three people have been arrested after a 500-year-old church was trashed during an illegal New Year’s Eve party attended by hundreds of revellers. All Saints Church in East Horndon, Essex, was left with more than £1,000 worth of damage as ravers turned it into a party venue with a bar, DJ decks and Portaloos.

'Parishoners said they were ‘devastated’ by the damage caused and estimated the bill for repairs to the Grade II* listed building could cost four figures. Essex Police said officers had been threatened and had objects thrown at them while trying to shut the event down.

'Essex is currently in tier four of coronavirus restrictions and people were told to stay at home for New Year’s Eve.'

This is why the police should have bfo sticks and a shoal of land sharks for this sort of thing

I'm just back from my local Morrisons and I've got to ask despite being in a nationwide lockdown does anyone understand what social distancing is ? While I was using the self service till the manageress squeezed past in the narrow aisle . I can't remember the last time I saw social distancing observed in my local Morrisons but today was the final straw an I sent an angry email to the head office telling them because of the covidiots they insist on employing I've taken my custom elsewhere

Latest Threads