Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Covid 19 - how long will the public tolerate a lockdown?

Hardly anyone of my generation went to university, believe it or not. It wasn't thought of as an entitlement in those days.
And maybe you should be asking how much the mortgage related to earnings was rather then cost of housing.

And what's being a remainer got to do with it you obsessive plonker?

The over 60s are the ones who brought you into the world, gave you a roof over your head (a home), paid for you to go to school, went through a period with millions on the dole and saw inflation go skyrocketing, so much that some were getting four pay rises a year to compensate. The ones that fought for better compensation, health and safety for the younger generation. The ones that actually went out and did something rather than wait for it all to be handed to them on a plate which is how you are coming over.

And then the entitled ones say you did nothing, you had it handed it to you on a plate. Now quit this mortal coil and give us all your dosh cos we is entitled, innit?

No wonder the country's in shit state.

Alright Grandpa calm down

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Responsible you say? 10 million of them voted for that ******* buffoon Corbyn.
If people could handle honesty, no one would smoke, drink so much or be a fat ****. People dont want honesty they want promises of free stuff.

This pandemic is a gift for labour, if the Conservatives are judged to be letting people die (remembering that covid doesnt care who you vote for) Labour will see a surge in the polls.

My parents are over 60, Id like them to get a bit further if that is alright with you.

Thankfully I only know one bloke who died of covid (we werent mates, just someone I knew in the Army)

He was always a bit of a tubby ****** but I dont think he was 50, he leaves a daughter who is about 15 and son who is about 10, I bet the kids wished the lockdown happened sooner.

If it involves a death, I can always give you a sob story. Lots of people have died, just only the COVID deaths seem to count - or do you think that cancer and heart disease have gone away? And that's before we get to mental illness, which the NHS couldn't cope with before the pandemic. And that's before we get to the abuse statistics.

Its all very well saying the let people die, but its not a vote winner, especially when someone that you know snuffs it.
What isn't a vote-winner is wrecking a nation's economy with an unrecoverable recession that will never be paid off on the basis of cod statistics that have been seemingly manipulated to fit a policy with a sinister motive; and changing the face of its society in the process by cowing it into subservient compliance by fear and threat. No that's not a vote winner either.

If someone had have told me this time last year we were marching blindly into a police state with lockdowns, curfews, approved goods, fines, enforced business closures et al I'd have thought Corbyn was in No10.

However Boris Johnson will be viewed by history, it won't be as someone who steered the nation through its biggest crisis since WW2 with a calm and logical hand on the tiller. Rather an incompetent, indecisive, over-reacting, knee-jerk puppet who stole Christmas and destroyed the country.

34535.jpg

Blogg

LE
Lots of wibble about how a vaccine may be but weeks away. Hmm.

We have been here before and not really that long ago:

1. Arrrgh we are all going to die from Asia pig flu type thing. Modelling says so.

2. Quick, knock up a vaccine.

3. Yes yes we know but we will hold you harmless

4. Yeah great that's good enough. Get on with it.

5 Oh shit.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Hardly anyone of my generation went to university, believe it or not. It wasn't thought of as an entitlement in those days.
And maybe you should be asking how much the mortgage related to earnings was rather then cost of housing.

And what's being a remainer got to do with it you obsessive plonker?

The over 60s are the ones who brought you into the world, gave you a roof over your head (a home), paid for you to go to school, went through a period with millions on the dole and saw inflation go skyrocketing, so much that some were getting four pay rises a year to compensate. The ones that fought for better compensation, health and safety for the younger generation. The ones that actually went out and did something rather than wait for it all to be handed to them on a plate which is how you are coming over.

And then the entitled ones say you did nothing, you had it handed it to you on a plate. Now quit this mortal coil and give us all your dosh cos we is entitled, innit?

No wonder the country's in shit state.

I'm a Generation Xer mate and all of those downsides, and the downsides of those downsides, informed my youth.

You Boomers were shoite.

What isn't a vote-winner is wrecking a nation's economy with an unrecoverable recession that will never be paid off on the basis of cod statistics that have been seemingly manipulated to fit a policy with a sinister motive; and changing the face of its society in the process by cowing it into subservient compliance by fear and threat. No that's not a vote winner either.

If someone had have told me this time last year we were marching blindly into a police state with lockdowns, curfews, approved goods, fines, enforced business closures et al I'd have thought Corbyn was in No10.

However Boris Johnson will be viewed by history, it won't be as someone who steered the nation through its biggest crisis since WW2 with a calm and logical hand on the tiller. Rather an incompetent, indecisive, over-reacting, knee-jerk puppet who stole Christmas and destroyed the country.

Got a better chance with wrecking the economy than killing people. Thats politics for you.

The UK isnt blindly marching into a police state, its marching with its eyes wide open because people are acting like cnuts.

I live in Norway, we have not had a proper lockdown at all, the death rate (per million) is about 8% of the UKs, of course there are other factors like having a business city like london and international transport hubs, but a considerable part of it, is because in Norway the people generally took it upon themselves to behave where as in the UK a considerable amount acted like ********* and are now chopsing off about a lockdown.

Id like to point out that in the middle of this covid shit the British Army still had PT lessons including squadded runs, if the CO, RSM, PTI et al who are part of an alleged disciplined force with Values & Standards and moral courage cant see the potential for infection spread why would the general public?

If it involves a death, I can always give you a sob story. Lots of people have died, just only the COVID deaths seem to count - or do you think that cancer and heart disease have gone away? And that's before we get to mental illness, which the NHS couldn't cope with before the pandemic. And that's before we get to the abuse statistics.

It isnt me you have to convince is it? It the outraged, if 10 million voted for that IRA supporting jew hating ****. How many more would vote for Starmer because Boris killed their granny?

I reckon that if Italy had not gone into lockdown and just rode it out, no one else would have. But they did and so nearly every other country followed.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I didn't go - neither did 95% of my compatriots in the 60s

Indeed - so you weren't conned into subsidising a youth unemployment programme.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
It isnt me you have to convince is it? It the outraged, if 10 million voted for that IRA supporting jew hating ****. How many more would vote for Starmer because Boris killed their granny?

I reckon that if Italy had not gone into lockdown and just rod'e it out, no one else would have. But they did and so nearly every other country followed.

I don't think I do - they lost.

Despite the prisms, most people are reasonable. The book Mad Men & Bad Men' looked at the impact of advertising on UK elections from '79 onwards and concluded that, despite everything, the result was probably the right/rational one.

If you can't trust the people, what's the point of democracy?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Sorry but that doesn't make any sense to me. Could explain what you mean please.

We have approximately 50% of the under22's going to university and taking out loans to do so. Where would they be and what would they be doing if they weren't at university?

wheel

LE
Starter for one, what was your debt on completing university?

Starter for two, what do you believe is the correlation between the average house price compared to average national earnings?

Even if one didn't know you're a staunch Remainer, one could guess.

View attachment 517055
How old are you ?. I,ve had to work for everything that I own. The 18% mortgage rate in the 80s crippled me , but I tightened the purse strings and took every odd job that I could. Entitled my arse.

I don't think I do - they lost.

Despite the prisms, most people are reasonable. The book Mad Men & Bad Men' looked at the impact of advertising on UK elections from '79 onwards and concluded that, despite everything, the result was probably the right/rational one.

If you can't trust the people, what's the point of democracy?

They lost but still got 10 million votes, which generally indicates no matter what sort of bellend is in charge of labour 30-35% of the country will always vote for them. Now they have Starmer who really is the heir to Blair, quite a good talker, very at ease with the public, can match Boris in PM questions, so they will have 10 million plus whoever Starmer convinces that Boris murdered their grandparents.

The point is sometimes democracy works in your favour, when people vote for who you want them to vote for.

I didnt ask vote Blair, he won 3 elections. He even won one after we all knew Iraq was a load shit.

Labour have been calling for a lockdown to save lives and give money to nearly everyone, they are on a winner with that. You might not like it, you might think its the wrong thing to do, but most of the public dont, sit on your arse for 80% of your pay, yes ******* please.

We have approximately 50% of the under22's going to university and taking out loans to do so. Where would they be and what would they be doing if they weren't at university?

They could join the British army, 20.4K a year to start.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
How old are you ?. I,ve had to work for everything that I own. The 18% mortgage rate in the 80s crippled me , but I tightened the purse strings and took every odd job that I could. Entitled my arse.

The 18% mortgage rate took the prospect of home ownership out of my reach but I guarantee that whatever you bought then, were you able to meet the payments and still own it, looks a bloody good investment now.

wheel

LE
They lost but still got 10 million votes, which generally indicates no matter what sort of bellend is in charge of labour 30-35% of the country will always vote for them. Now they have Starmer who really is the heir to Blair, quite a good talker, very at ease with the public, can match Boris in PM questions, so they will have 10 million plus whoever Starmer convinces that Boris murdered their grandparents.

The point is sometimes democracy works in your favour, when people vote for who you want them to vote for.

I didnt ask vote Blair, he won 3 elections. He even won one after we all knew Iraq was a load shit.

Labour have been calling for a lockdown to save lives and give money to nearly everyone, they are on a winner with that. You might not like it, you might think its the wrong thing to do, but most of the public dont, sit on your arse for 80% of your pay, yes ******* please.
We had people come back into work last week after being Furloughed for seven months , moaning that they were worse off because of travel expenses , child care etc. Did not go down well with the ones that have worked through.

wheel

LE
The 18% mortgage rate took the prospect of home ownership out of my reach but I guarantee that whatever you bought then, were you able to meet the payments and still own it, looks a bloody good investment now.
I was a couple of years into my first mortgage, lots of my friends lost their houses through repossession. So do not tell me that my generation is being subsidised by later generation.

We had people come back into work last week after being Furloughed for seven months , moaning that they were worse off because of travel expenses , child care etc. Did not go down well with the ones that have worked through.

So the former are potential labour voters then?
Thats what Boris is up against.

wheel

LE
So the former are potential labour voters then?
Thats what Boris is up against.
Yes one of the cnuts said I could not take their temperature as it violated their rights and privacy. No problem says I the company are doing everything that is reasonable and practicable to ensure everyone's safety. No temperature taken you can go back home and wait for a letter from HR. The plastic scouse backed down.

Latest Threads