COVID-19 EU/UK vaccine row - what’s happening?

endure

GCM
What pro-EU people will say is that any country in the EU is free to make their own vaccine deals (Germany and Hungary have already done this). And that any national health body can approve any vaccine outside of the EMA (Germany, France, and Spain have banned the use of the AZ vaccine in older age groups, despite the EMA saying it is safe, Hungary have already given approval to the Russian vaccine etc).

So we COULD have done this anyway, but the question is whether we would have done this.
I suspect we wouldn't given past examples of the way directives from the EU were gold plated before they were passed into law here.

You really couldn't make it up. The Guardian staff seem unable to see any fault in anything the EU does, and will always seek to diminish and disparage anything achieved by the UK.

Why do they insist on living here if Europe is so wonderful. If you despise so much about the country you live in, why not escape to the one you adore?

What a magnificent achievement from those Danes.....

The Cloggies appear to be having a bit of Covid Conniptions... a court in the Hague has ordered the Government to lift the current overnight curfew because...

the 21:00 to 04:30 curfew was imposed by an emergency law when there was no "acute emergency" and it breaches the right to free movement.

and then following a quick appeal by the government, a higher court said, “it stays in place until an appeal is heard and ruled on by the higher court on Friday”.

The Dutch cabinet is urgently working on a new law to enforce the curfew, but that could take time.

I wonder what Grrr is in Clogglingo?

Truxx

LE
You really couldn't make it up. The Guardian staff seem unable to see any fault in anything the EU does, and will always seek to diminish and disparage anything achieved by the UK.

Why do they insist on living here if Europe is so wonderful. If you despise so much about the country you live in, why not escape to the one you adore?

What a magnificent achievement from those Danes.....
They have made a start by not paying tax here.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Katya Adler
@BBCkatyaadler

EU Commission President and EU Health Commissioner are in front of MEPs to take questions and defend Commission #covid vaccine purchase/rollout .. For many their appearance before EU Parliament is rather too little too late. Considerable anger against them in EU

8:12 AM · Feb 10, 2021·Twitter Web App

Edited to add:

I post something on the EU - and feck me sideways if this doesn't pop up:

----------------- ------------- CAUTION ITS A CON -------------------------
Slovenian
Citizenship

EU citizenship
for the whole
family for 30
000€. During
8-12 months

------------------------ ------------------------------

Seems to lead to a Romanian 'Investment' site - @Bad CO .....does Arrse not have ANY filtering of the adverts that appear ?

They also offer backdoor EU passports via

i) Romania
ii) Austria
iii) Malta
iv) Cyprus

So, in effect - access to all 26 EU countries for Euro 30,000 .......seems fair .......

Last edited:
Katya Adler
@BBCkatyaadler

EU Commission President and EU Health Commissioner are in front of MEPs to take questions and defend Commission #covid vaccine purchase/rollout .. For many their appearance before EU Parliament is rather too little too late. Considerable anger against them in EU

8:12 AM · Feb 10, 2021·Twitter Web App

Edited to add:

I post something on the EU - and feck me sideways if this doesn't pop up:

----------------- ------------- CAUTION ITS A CON -------------------------
Slovenian
Citizenship

EU citizenship
for the whole
family for 30
000€. During
8-12 months

------------------------ ------------------------------

Seems to lead to a Romanian 'Investment' site - @Bad CO .....does Arrse not have ANY filtering of the adverts that appear ?

They also offer backdoor EU passports via

i) Romania
ii) Austria
iii) Malta
iv) Cyprus

So, in effect - access to all 26 EU countries for Euro 30,000 .......seems fair .......
Bargain! The Cypriot govt. were charging Euro 300,000 for a passport, or rather insisting that you buy/build a Euro 300,000 house in certain zones of Cyprus. Lots of Chinese owned houses there whose owners have never even visited, apparently.

Rab_C

LE

The Italian government has blocked the export of an Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine shipment to Australia.
The decision affects 250,000 doses of the vaccine produced at an AstraZeneca facility in Italy.
Italy is the first EU country to use the bloc's new regulations allowing exports to be stopped if the company providing the vaccines has failed to meet its obligations to the EU.
The move has been backed by the European Commission, reports say.

The Italian government has blocked the export of an Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine shipment to Australia.
The decision affects 250,000 doses of the vaccine produced at an AstraZeneca facility in Italy.
Italy is the first EU country to use the bloc's new regulations allowing exports to be stopped if the company providing the vaccines has failed to meet its obligations to the EU.

Is that the Az vaccine produced in the facility in Italy and had not yet been licenced/approved to produce the Az vaccine for use in the EU ?

That will go down like a lead balloon with the Ausies - basically the EU stole their vaccine shipment. This is how to make enemies, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of repercussion for this.

Had a very cynical smile this evening Scottish covid figures saying 26 fewer people in hospital with covid today

then post that there are 25 deaths from covid

Latest Threads