COVID-19 and the effects on charities

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
I was recently chatting to a pal of mine who is involved with a large charity, mostly working in getting folk to donate. We were talking about how the lockdown, the furloughs, the job losses, the uncertainty and the inevitable recession/depression we as a country are enduring. This, we surmised, was going to hammer all charities, and destroy others.

So my questions to you: Which charities will survive in a meaningful form, and which will fall by the wayside once the current cash holdings run out? Which ones should be helped (by us, the donors) to survive, and which should we hope will collapse?

Most of these big charities bosses pay themselves hundreds of thousands of pounds in wages, also they have millions in the bank already and won't spend it. There must be a well in africa for every person now - they have been digging them since my mum was a child.... (and since pre history)

Also when you look at the how some of these charity people (oxfam in particular) were bribing/shagging young girls in places like Haiti, do you really want to be giving them your money?

Charity workers should work for free, anyone that takes large sums of money from the people they are supposed to be helping doesn't deserve to breathe the same air as the people that are donating to these charities breathe.

As for cancer research - how many billions have they had - yet you need to wait for ages to get treatment/there's basically no cure for most cancers......everyone I know that's had cancer has either died or is terminal.

Also where do these - please give £15 donations adverts get that sum from? why £15? what's wrong with just being thankful for what you're given.

I'm not against helping people in need - but the way some of these big charities are run, just makes life harder for the smaller charities.

Also why give money for snow leopards - just stop ******* hunting them & jail the people that are - sending £10 or whatever is not going to stop a hunter from shooting anything.

Last edited:

daz

LE
No matter how many go under, more will pop up to take their place, not always because there's a need, but because there's a greed in that sector that needs to be fed - the greed for well-paid non-jobs & bragging rights.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
we have an obscene number of charities in the UK now, every church, scout troop or family with a poorly child seem to be able to register as a charity, many of which simply exist to provide a decent salary to one or two people.

because of the way they register there are twice as many as the official figures so probably close to half a million now. most of whom didn't need to be charities at all.

way way too many IMO and because they can all claim gift aid they are taking billions back out of the exchequer so you have the bizarre thing of charities to put books in schools taking money from the education budget.

too many charities are political now so some like the RSPCA need to lose its charity status because they are organisations.

Most of these big charities bosses pay themselves hundreds of thousands of pounds in wages, also they have millions in the bank already and won't spend it. There must be a well in africa for every person now - they have been digging them since my mum was a child.... (and since pre history)

Also when you look at the how some of these charity people (oxfam in particular) were bribing/shagging young girls in places like Haiti, do you really want to be giving them your money?

Charity workers should work for free, anyone that takes large sums of money from the people they are supposed to be helping doesn't deserve to breathe the same air as the people that are donating to these charities breathe.

As for cancer research - how many billions have they had - yet you need to wait for ages to get treatment/there's basically no cure for most cancers......everyone I know that's had cancer has either died or is terminal.

Also where do these - please give £15 donations adverts get that sum from? why £15? what's wrong with just being thankful for what you're given.

I'm not against helping people in need - but the way some of these big charities are run, just makes life harder for the smaller charities.

Also why give money for snow leopards - just stop ******* hunting them & jail the people that are - sending £10 or whatever is not going to stop a hunter from shooting anything.
Two things:
1. Lots of people who work for charities do so for no reward. Some charities do need someone with skilled experience to run them, and they have rent to pay and mouths to feed of their own. It can be worth paying someone with experience to run something than rely on someone who is well-meaning with no skills.
2. Don’t like the charity? Then don’t give. Simple. If you don‘t know anyone who has ever survived cancer and think snow leopards are not worth a toss, hey ho. It’s your choice and your money.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
What will all the poor senior officers do now if they lose their sinecure?

It’s a good point made by @Grumblegrunt above that we do have a lot of charities. I think this is a reflection of the British way of wanting to help and a tradition of government non-interference. I still find it surprising that we have medical charities and hospitals have their own charities (sub-divided into units).
Good and bad? Only the individual can say. I think the Covid thing will hit local charities harder. I don’t give by SO but will give loose change to a hospice (For example) but that all seems by the by now.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
its a bit like food banks though - they create their own need and virtue signalling to justify it.

without food banks many families would have to forgo the latest iphone and sky package.

harry enfield did a good sketch about middle class london people complaining about the lack of asparagus and quinoa at the food bank.

yes there was always genuine need but there was also genuine help. a bit like the homeless thing with ed stafford where he said the one thing you do not go is hungry and he had more food than he could eat

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Two things:
1. Lots of people who work for charities do so for no reward. Some charities do need someone with skilled experience to run them, and they have rent to pay and mouths to feed of their own. It can be worth paying someone with experience to run something than rely on someone who is well-meaning with no skills.
2. Don’t like the charity? Then don’t give. Simple. If you don‘t know anyone who has ever survived cancer and think snow leopards are not worth a toss, hey ho. It’s your choice and your money.
true - then to me that is a charity.

then you have ones like one in cheltenham (forget the name it was a few years back) complaining they were running out of money a few years ago - the charity existed primarily to support His daughter and he took 60k a year as a salary and had a fancy set of offices to boot. Meanwhile someone else we know ran a cat and chicken rescue charity out of her house and every penny raised went to the cause.

and then you have the likes of oxfam where you can earn half a million or the one that employs David Milliband.

to me that is not a charity that is a foundation like the clinton foundation where they asked for money to help the victims of haiti earthquakes - good idea I hear you say, well for every 100 dollars given only 1 made it to the cause. turns out the clintons are high maintenance and chelseas three million dollar wedding needed paying for.

its why I hold little hope for the keep Megan and Harry in their chosen lifestyle foundation being any real worth.

I was recently chatting to a pal of mine who is involved with a large charity, mostly working in getting folk to donate. We were talking about how the lockdown, the furloughs, the job losses, the uncertainty and the inevitable recession/depression we as a country are enduring. This, we surmised, was going to hammer all charities, and destroy others.

So my questions to you: Which charities will survive in a meaningful form, and which will fall by the wayside once the current cash holdings run out? Which ones should be helped (by us, the donors) to survive, and which should we hope will collapse?
I was once tricked by a pretty young Dutch girl into signing up to a monthly direct debit for Médecins Sans Frontières / Dr's without borders. Seemed like a reasonable thing to support at the time.

Later i discovered that they were running migrants pickup services off the coast of Libya and i felt like a cnut, more of a cnut than usual that is.

I had forgotten about the direct debit and must have ended up paying for half a tank of diesel on one of their ferry's.

The trouble is, like most charities, they usually do something worthwhile some of the time while other times they play politics and get involved in stupid things. I thought that they were all about sending GP's to remote places and running wilderness clinic's etc. Turns out that they charter boats and pick up migrants and bring them from Liybia to Italy and Malta.

I would not shed a tear if they folded but they wont, they make plenty of money.

I hope that he RSPCA continue to do well.

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
No matter how many go under, more will pop up to take their place, not always because there's a need, but because there's a greed in that sector that needs to be fed - the greed for well-paid non-jobs & bragging rights.
The useless offspring of politicians and other snowflakes have to occupy themselves somehow.

Charities can all go and fúck themselves. The fact that these profit focused businesses are given tax exemption, makes me sick.

Having seen charidees from the inside, I was utterly appalled at their lack of scruples, political and profit focus and lack of shame about how they made sure that all money made went to the company, not the cause they were supposed to be supporting. The one in particular that has attracted a lot of controversy over how its workers use charity money to go on sex slave tourism makes me want to puke, just thinking about it. Cúnts, the lot of them.

Charities can all go and fúck themselves. The fact that these profit focused businesses are given tax exemption, makes me sick.

Having seen charidees from the inside, I was utterly appalled at their lack of scruples, political and profit focus and lack of shame about how they made sure that all money made went to the company, not the cause they were supposed to be supporting. The one in particular that has attracted a lot of controversy over how its workers use charity money to go on sex slave tourism makes me want to puke, just thinking about it. Cúnts, the lot of them.
It amazes me why the CEO's of these companies with a made up charitable status are paid so much when the token spiel by the useless ****** beggars round my way is a request for 30p.

Like I'm going down on my knees for that.

endure

GCM
RNLI
MacMillans

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
RSPCA are cnuts. Kill squads go in their shelters if they’re full, then there was that incident where they used bolt guns on German Shepherds. Won’t rock up unless there’s a TV camera the fatherless.

Oxfam 2017 £409 million.
Cancer research 2017/18 £634 million.
RSPCA 2016 £143.4 million.
Just a few examples from a quick google. It takes a lot of experience to run an organisation that has an income with these kinds of incomes. I believe that this is their excuse for having leaders (CEO’s etc) earning 100’s of thousands per year.

its a bit like food banks though - they create their own need and virtue signalling to justify it.

without food banks many families would have to forgo the latest iphone and sky package.

harry enfield did a good sketch about middle class london people complaining about the lack of asparagus and quinoa at the food bank.

yes there was always genuine need but there was also genuine help. a bit like the homeless thing with ed stafford where he said the one thing you do not go is hungry and he had more food than he could eat
Didn't he say they were making £30 a day with begging which went on drugs.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Didn't he say they were making £30 a day with begging which went on drugs.
many beg for enough to get high then crawl off to do so.

many more are professional roma though. especially in london, they sleep under the M4/A4

Latest Threads