Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Covert Human Intelligence Sources Bill

Does the Covert Human Intelligence Sources Bill (Criminal Conduct) mean Britain is a Police State?

• Total voters
I see this as the final step to our becoming a police state and would be interested to hear other arrse's opinions

They'll probably start wearing these to operational planning meetings too:

Here's what the $%^&ers in grey suits are capable of, on top of framing Wallace for a murder he didn't commit:

Don't get me started on the judiciary and hard working old bill - it genuinely tears me up with I think of their integrity and due diligence

If I were you.

I would pack a bag, grab my passport and flee the UK pronto, before they all collaborate and come and get you.

I don't mind this law - it could be used to 'rub' out a few ISIS type scum & criminal elements, and also take out the unpatriotic weirdo's living in the country. Maybe a few innocents will be taken out along the way - but if it's for the 'greater good' then good luck to the government.

"I see this as the final step to our becoming a police state "

Apart from the regular elections, the local government, the 43 independent police forces and the general intransigence of the British public when pushed around I couldn't agree with you more...

Perhaps you ought to compare the UK to any of the real police states that exist around the world to realise just how ridiculous you are...

But if Corbyn had become PM, imagine what he could have done with the likes of the civil contingencies powers

It would have been the nearest to a police state that the UK has ever seen

I don't mind this law - it could be used to 'rub' out a few ISIS type scum & criminal elements, and also take out the unpatriotic weirdo's living in the country. Maybe a few innocents will be taken out along the way - but if it's for the 'greater good' then good luck to the government.
You've been allowed to scribble again? How was your little holiday?

Last edited:

endure

GCM
But if Corbyn had become PM, imagine what he could have done with the likes of the civil contingencies powers

It would have been the nearest to a police state that the UK has ever seen

If Corbyn had become PM we'd have a Home Secretary who couldn't put a pair of matching shoes on. I'm not sure just how frightened we ought to be of her.

Yokel

LE
If Corbyn had become PM we'd have a Home Secretary who couldn't put a pair of matching shoes on. I'm not sure just how frightened we ought to be of her.

Would you want to wake up to find her bearing down on you? No release from her grip until she is satisfied. You would be at risk of asphyxiation and mechanical injuries. Then she would refuse to leave until you have fed her all she can eat.

Some people might enjoy that.

endure

GCM
Would you want to wake up to find her bearing down on you? No release from her grip until she is satisfied. You would be at risk of asphyxiation and mechanical injuries. Then she would refuse to leave until you have fed her all she can eat.

Some people might enjoy that.
:eek:

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I feel deeply honoured, I am in receipt of a 'dumb' from our resident tin-foil-hat-wearing SIS fanboy and intelligence services groupie Looney Tunes conspiracy theorist, @Poppycock . I shall treasure it.

More germanely, it' s a useful thing to bear in mind that, if you buy fresh chilis, you can freeze them whole and then grate them with a fine microplane, while still frozen, to add a touch of decadent warmth to any dish you might be preparing. Just be careful with Dorset Nagas and for the love of God, make sure you scrub your hands very carefully afterwards.

I find it absolutely disgusting

That moderators are still able to use the bullshit button on the OPs opening post, but us mere wretches dont have it.

Yokel

LE
I feel deeply honoured, I am in receipt of a 'dumb' from our resident tin-foil-hat-wearing SIS fanboy and intelligence services groupie Looney Tunes conspiracy theorist, @Poppycock . I shall treasure it.

More germanely, it' s a useful thing to bear in mind that, if you buy fresh chilis, you can freeze them whole and then grate them with a fine microplane, while still frozen, to add a touch of decadent warmth to any dish you might be preparing. Just be careful with Dorset Nagas and for the love of God, make sure you scrub your hands very carefully afterwards.

Could he be related to No4 Mk1 by any chance?

As for the chilli - my brother once scratched his nuts after handing chillis. Without wishing to be seen as a throbber, I have never laughed so much. I was trying to help, advising him to use milk to soothe the heat but he did not listen. I suppose pissing myself with laughter did not help.

eyehave

War Hero
I would argue that it was nothing to do with the ECHR; indeed powers of surveillance were expanded (but also better regulated).
Yes, RIPA brought about regulation but the good old boys preferred the no holds barred rules.
Try searching for ‘What is the purpose of RIPA’ and you may change your argument.

Aren't customs and excise part of HMRC?
Ceased to exit when the duties (indirect taxes) collection function was merged into Inland Revenue thus becoming HMRC, the assessment and prevention functions (goods inspection and anti-smuggling) went to UK Border Force

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Quite seriously and ignoring our resident loon - @Poppycock, in case anyone's wondering - this is a sensible and measured piece of legislation which allows for limited tolerance of authorised illegal activities by agents. Without this, it would be near impossible to run any human intelligence operation if those with good access were unable or forbidden to do what was necessary to achieve and keep that access.

I would be a touch more hesitant about defining precisely which agencies had authority to operate CHIS under the eventual Act. Police, Security Service and NCA in the UK, SIS and certain military entities abroad would seem sensible. Any other agency requiring that intelligence could have the source recruited and handled on its behalf by a responsible agency.

Have I mentioned oversight? Clearly there has to be some, quite a lot, in fact - but pragmatic and sensible oversight. And accountability, someone in charge has to have skin in the game, it's not going to be enough just to crucify the handlers if it all goes Pete Tong.

Latest Threads