Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Covert Human Intelligence Sources Bill

Does the Covert Human Intelligence Sources Bill (Criminal Conduct) mean Britain is a Police State?

• Total voters

Poppycock

Old-Salt
The Covert Human Intelligence Sources Bill is currently being rushed through parliament

The bill will give multiple government agencies and their 'assets' a licence to break the law - including murder - with complete immunity

I see this as the final step to our becoming a police state and would be interested to hear other arrse's opinions

Relevant twitter tags on this subject are #SpyCops #SpyCopsBill & #CHISBill

The Covert Human Intelligence Sources Bill is currently being rushed through parliament

The bill will give multiple government agencies and their 'assets' a licence to break the law - including murder - with complete immunity

I see this as the final step to our becoming a police state and would be interested to hear other arrse's opinions

Government agency's, apart from the known ones, police, the military, and the Civil service, what other ones are there, that are not so well known? are we including the Custom and excise , DVLC, border patrol, coastguards. MI6-5. NCA. what others are there that make it a really chilling scieniaro?

Poppycock

Old-Salt
As opposed to what.... they have been doing so for decades
Aye you are right, but at least they had to look a bit sheepish about it before.

Now they'll be giving out medals for it - I bet they'll be issuing something like this as an equivalent to the criminal's tear drop tattoos:

ss skull.jpg

They'll probably start wearing these to operational planning meetings too:

judge black cap.jpg

Dr David Kelly would have given this post a "funny".

There was a case went to appeal at the end of last year, which questioned the proportionality of covert tactics, and the commission of quite minor offences by those tasked to be part of the investigation. If the appeal succeeded, there would be chaos. This bill was rushed together back then, with a view to submitting it immediately if the outcome went against the authorities.

Extract - "This is a short, single issue, Bill which is seeking to put existing capability onto an express statutory footing for a small number of public authorities.Once the legislation is in force, the operational practices of those public authorities are expected to broadly stay the same and the existing independent oversight attached to the regime to continue"

Imagine the scenario, for a quite minor example, of claiming state benefits without declaring you were unavailable for work some days because you were assisiting the authorities in some covert manner. Failing to declare is an offence, but revealing it will expose you and the investigation to risk. The bill won't give the decisions to the person doing the acts, but it will to the person authorising those acts.

Common sense prevailed, the good guys won, and the bill has now been submitted with more thought, merely rationalising and providing for the first time a genuine legal framework for what has gone on for centuries. Certainly, Home Office circulars from 1968 are still in use, but can now be superseded once the bill is approved. After that will surely be a Guidance document, followed later by a Code of Practice, which will go out to all the State-funded authorities needing these resources.

Private Eyes won't be affected, they're paid by their customer, but the most professional ones will accord to it as much as they can.

walrusboy

War Hero
CHIS participation in crime in a minor role has been a recognised tactic for years, and delivers good effect when properly risk assessed. A CHIS buying legal and illegal commodities on behalf of a public body is a common example. They are a valuable resource if used effectively.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's amazing what a difference a little drop of sesame oil, a touch of soy sauce and a breath of chili sauce makes to a pile of plain noodles.

Yokel

LE
The final step? Really! Would you care to outline why you think Britain becoming a near Police state? Can you have a Police state if you have elections and a free media?

Captain Colin Wallace probably wouldn't

Here's what the $%^&ers in grey suits are capable of, on top of framing Wallace for a murder he didn't commit:

The Kincora Boys' Home (1958-1980) has been widely alleged as a venue used for purposes of organised child sexual abuse, for purposes of sexual blackmail.

Alleged - by conspiracy theorists.

Government agency's, apart from the known ones, police, the military, and the Civil service, what other ones are there, that are not so well known? are we including the Custom and excise , DVLC, border patrol, coastguards. MI6-5. NCA. what others are there that make it a really chilling scieniaro?

Some are secret not even the staff members know they exist! Deep deep undercover!

If only there was some sort of independent commission put in place to have oversight of everything they did...

That will never catch on. Next people will suggest laws to regulate the intelligence services.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'll worry if they start arming traffic wardens.

endure

GCM
"I see this as the final step to our becoming a police state "

Apart from the regular elections, the local government, the 43 independent police forces and the general intransigence of the British public when pushed around I couldn't agree with you more...

Perhaps you ought to compare the UK to any of the real police states that exist around the world to realise just how ridiculous you are...

Poppycock

Old-Salt
"I see this as the final step to our becoming a police state "

Apart from the regular elections, the local government, the 43 independent police forces and the general intransigence of the British public when pushed around I couldn't agree with you more...

Perhaps you ought to compare the UK to any of the real police states that exist around the world to realise just how ridiculous you are...
Ah yes, the wonderful free press that exposes all wrong doings without bias or prejudice, combined with the completely unhindered by malign state actors democracy Britain enjoys are a joy to behold and give me the greatest of confidence in our system of government and the rule of law.

Don't get me started on the judiciary and hard working old bill - it genuinely tears me up with I think of their integrity and due diligence

rofl.gif

see this as the final step to our becoming a police state and would be interested to hear other arrse's opinions
Well summat needs to be done to keep these Partying Scousers locked in.

My Repressive FIO won't let me store enough ammo to keep em at bay for long.

Eta.
I often hear the words
'Britains Top Police Officer' preface the introduction of Cressida Dick.

Nuff said.

eyehave

War Hero

As I recall RIPA 2000 gave birth to the CHIS. I think EU law insisted the UK follow the same ‘surveillance’ rules we imposed on Germany post WWII, so we created RIPA 2000. Would you agree the UK should ditch RIPA 2000 now that is no longer a member of the EU? We could return to the good old days when there were no regulations to hinder information gathering and the exploitation of others. Those were the days - that was when immunity really meant something.

As I recall RIPA 2000 gave birth to the CHIS. I think EU law insisted the UK follow the same ‘surveillance’ rules we imposed on Germany post WWII, so we created RIPA 2000. Would you agree the UK should ditch RIPA 2000 now that is no longer a member of the EU? We could return to the good old days when there were no regulations to hinder information gathering and the exploitation of others. Those were the days - that was when immunity really meant something.
Is that true about 'EU law'?

Latest Threads