Covers pi$$ me off!

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Bigdumps, Dec 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dontcha justhate cover version of songs? I nearly slapped someone today who thought Kurt Cobain wrote 'Man Who Sold the World'. Its David Bowie's signature tune for gods sake. gah!

And also this Alexandra Burke who has covered Leonard Cohens Hallelujah, I wonder how many young(er) people will know who he is from that song?

2. I must admit, I do like Leonard Cohen & I think KD Langs version of 'Hallelujah' is by far the best. The only trouble is you've got to be in the right frame of mind to listen to Cohen otherwise you'll end up slashing your wrists! :)
  3. A bit of a wild genaralisation, though isn't it? Do you hate all cover versions, no matter who did the original and who did the cover? I can think of lots of cover versions that I prefer to the original. Amongst my particular favourites are:

"With a little help from my friends" and "She came in through the Bathroom Window" - both originally by the Beatles and covered by Joe Cocker. They're on the live album of his 1970 tour of USA "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" and are great.

"My Way" covered by the Sex Pistols

"Delilah" covered by Alex Harvey
  4. Ive a sonics cover in my sig that I recon is better then the origonal ;)

You'd hate the radio one live lounge albums (some excellent covers on them too ) :D
  5. War of the Worlds was covered a couple of years ago with Tom 'big nose, short arrse' Cruise as the lead man with, as usual, no acting character whatsoever. Film came to an abrupt and dissapointing end like the vinegar stroke of a great tug. Poor cover. Seems any big-wig actor in Hollywood these days hides behind the wonderment of CGI (?)
  6. Nothing wrong with covers, as long as the artist tries to improve upon the original song, or at least make it their own. If someone is going to try to repeat it note for note, to try to make it indistinguishable from the original, he/she might as well stick to karaoke.
  7. Radio 1's Live Lounge would be a bit boring, just having artistes singing their own tunes. Singing cover versions gives us an insight into who inspires them.

Personally, I think Travis's cover of "Hit me baby one more time" by Britney (I'm mental, me) Spears on the Jo Whiley Show is superb. They own that song !

As for this "Hallejujah" song, I've not heard it.
    Serves anyone right for watching Chav TV. You know full well that eXcrement Factor will dish out some drivel in time for Christmas.
  8. SLFs covers of Bob Marleys Johnny Was, Bunny Wailers Roots Radics Rockers and Reaggae and The Specials Doesn't Make it Alright are ways covers should be done...with full on (dogs) bollocks. They have made great tunes sound out-of-this-world.

Proper bollocks fucked up covers have to include that shite that Leona Lweis just Karaoked to death recently
  9. The house of the rising sun is the classic cover, originally by Hoagy Carmichael, but a big hit for the Animals, and their version still gets played, what 40 years after they covered it
  10. The Clash's " I fought the law" is a cover

As is The Pogues "And the band played waltzing Mathilda"

Joe Strummer does a brilliant " Redemption Song".......well he did!
  11. I don't think that there is one cover version on Seals latest album that is half as good as the originals, what ever made him think that he could better Sam Cooke, Otis Redding etc etc..
  12. There are some genuis cover versions out there:

Futureheads covering Kate Bush's Hounds of Love,
    Radiohead covering Carly Simon's The Spy Who Loved Me,
    Alannis Morisette covering The Black Eyed Peas' My Humps,
    Ben Folds covering Dr Dre's Bitches Ain't Shit,
    Fiona Apple covering The Beatles' Across The Universe,
    Smashing Pumpkins covering Fleetwood Mac's Landslide,
    The Kooks covering MGMT's Kids.

I even quite like Coldplay's version of The Pretenders' 2000 Miles, and Scissor Sisters' cover of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb is growing on me :D
  13. Metallica's cover of Astronomy by Blue Oyster Cult is immense.
  14. Yeah thought Guns &Roses version of live and let die is far superior to the original version
  15. Of course we do have the Scissor Sisters' " Comfortably numb" which is far superior to the original old kak.............