Covers come off UK spy plane

Shhhh... Don't tell anyone but...

Images of the UK's first prototype stealth surveillance aircraft have been unveiled.

The unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), which has been built by BAE Systems, is known as the Corax, or as the Raven.

The Corax bears some resemblances to a cancelled US military spy plane called DarkStar, analysts have said.

Jane's International Defence Review said the unmanned aircraft "indicated a new direction in combat vehicles for the UK's armed forces".

The magazine reports that the UK has terminated plans for a future manned combat aircraft and is working closely with the US on "Project Churchill".

This effort is focused on the joint, airborne command and control of pilotless combat air vehicles from 2015 onwards.

The Corax prototype has been built to investigate the stability, control and performance of the design, which is said to maximise all-round stealth.

Stealth technology refers to a variety of techniques used to render aircraft, ships and missiles less visible - and ideally invisible - to radar.

The prototype Corax was first flown in 2004 after a 10-month development programme.
[c]BBC news

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Where, where is it? I can't see anything other than wet tarmac

Straight from the British government's (DIS)--Defense Industrial Strategy report/document:
The UCAV work will build on formerly classified BAE programs such as Corax ("Raven") and Herti, both of which have been flown. The technology demonstrator is a crucial element in sustaining the air systems sector. Beyond the Eurofighter Typhoon and the Joint Combat Aircraft (JCA)--as the U.K. refers to the Lockheed Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighter--"current plans do not envisage the U.K. needing to design and build a future generation of manned, fast jet aircraft beyond these types," states the strategy document.
8O 8O 8O 8O

Planning on getting rid of the rocket jockeys?

Aviation now

Now pay attention, 007...

Oh My God. Where does the laccy band go?

And how will the Cylons attack Battlestar Galactica without their fighter?

"Covers come off UK spy plane"

I read the title of this thread and , for some reason, I assumed the covers had fallen off some part of it whilst it was in flight.

My expectations are not high.

I can't see the strings
does it go in a pod like thunderbird 4?

Agent_Smith said:
Straight from the British government's (DIS)--Defense Industrial Strategy report/document:
The UCAV work will build on formerly classified BAE programs such as Corax ("Raven") and Herti, both of which have been flown. The technology demonstrator is a crucial element in sustaining the air systems sector. Beyond the Eurofighter Typhoon and the Joint Combat Aircraft (JCA)--as the U.K. refers to the Lockheed Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighter--"current plans do not envisage the U.K. needing to design and build a future generation of manned, fast jet aircraft beyond these types," states the strategy document.
8O 8O 8O 8O

Planning on getting rid of the rocket jockeys?

Aviation now

I am going to really cry now, the lovely electorate are going to make a big fcuck up again!!!! TSR2 anyone? (I know that has been well covered, but can't you just smell it! or indeed see the pattern!) I think that Mr Bliar has convinced his staff so to speak of a government (by that i mean political) victory out east! Maybe someone should recall the... Once upon a time there was a small country in the far east called Vietnam...................... need we go on!

But we do build aircraft to last - look at the Harrier, supposed to go out of service, but sticking in there and still being upgraded!! I expect no one can look that far ahead after JSF has replaced harrier and then to look at the replacement to the JSF

"current plans do not envisage the U.K. needing to design and build a future generation of manned, fast jet aircraft beyond these types,"

- Is that because the RAF will have been scrapped by then? ;-)

Or prehaps fuel will be so expensive by then that all we can stretch to is running a squadron of biplanes... They were up to the task of keeping 'Jonny Arab' in check in the twenties afterall.

I'll get me coat.

The DIS doesn't actually say that there'll be no more manned aircraft, bar the line cited by the Beeb (I think they may have misquoted it). The DIS says something to the effect of 'The Eurofighter and the JSF will be in service for years to come, and we shan't need to start thinking about what replaces them until long after Tony and Gordon are out of power.'

Oneshot said:
But we do build aircraft to last - look at the Harrier, supposed to go out of service, but sticking in there and still being upgraded!! I expect no one can look that far ahead after JSF has replaced harrier and then to look at the replacement to the JSF
Britain is great at two things:

1. Making some of the best things
2. Making some of the worst things

Harrier - great
SA80 - rubbish

See the trend?

jimmys_best_mate said:
Haven't we been here before about the need for manned aircraft?
Indeed we have. And they were wrong then as well.

Personally I foresee things getting very interesting around the time they hand the certification documentation to someone very important to sign.

"So Mr VIP, if this thing gets it wrong and mid-airs a A-380 so that the bits land on a primary school you're personally liable as the signatory to the Design Certificate."

"Who wrote the code then ?"

"The same programmers that can't stop Windows from crashing"

"Oh ..."

I know we see a lot of software in modern planes, but the overhead for testing, debugging and proving comparatively simple software is enormous. Increase the complexity to include onboard AI and I think we're a way off from letting these things loose.

I wonder if it will be as reliable as the Pheonix that the Arty were Fekin about with.

The last I heard the Goonars were still chasing after it around Larkhill with big Mossie nets and still couldn't land it :lol: :D

Mac Spr

it looks like an awesome toy, I bet Mini Phantom will want one for her birthday.

JSF/JCA/F35/whatever the fcuk its called will go on the new carriers.
The new carriers are designed to last til 2050.
Ergo, no flyboys are going to lose their jobs til 2050.
Unless you are a Canberra pilot? (these things will do aerial photo recce?)