• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Covering inappropriate tattoos

I have been unsuccessful in joining the Army because of 2 tattoos I have, 1 of a clown with his middle finger up and the othe of a logo for a skinhead musical festival i went to years ago which was said could be seen as far right as it says the word skinhead in it.

I was told if I covered them with new tattoos I could re apply but would not be garunteed to be successful.

Has anyone been through this that can help or advise anything please?

Thanks in advance.

I was told if I covered them with new tattoos I could re apply but would not be garunteed to be successful.

Thanks in advance.
Are you looking for someone to tell you "cover them with new tattoos You could re apply but would not be garunteed to be successful"

They did that

Or someone to cover them up for you, in which case you want a tattoo forum.

I think you have been told quite clearly what is expected. Show some initiative lad.

What he said - a much better investment than more ink.

And if you don't get in, consider this: if they are unsuitable for the services, they will doubtless be unsuitable for a lot of other avenues, too. Removal may cost/hurt more, but long term it's the wiser course.

Well the army, like most employers, isn't really fond of those with extreme right-wing sympathies. On the basis that they've already seen it means it will be down on your records, so you've probably answered your own question. Think before you ink, in future.

Last edited:
A good lesson about "think before you tattoo". There could be other employers that would not employ you with certain markings. At least you can't blame anyone else. Good luck.

A good lesson about "think before you tattoo". There could be other employers that would not employ you with certain markings. At least you can't blame anyone else. Good luck.
In life you get the tattoos you deserve

My grandfather got a tattoo when he was in the army during WWII but I feel its rather unprofessional. I would get it removed with a laser.

My grandfather got a tattoo when he was in the army during WWII but I feel its rather unprofessional. I would get it removed with a laser.
You would laser your Grandad? Tight b@stard

You don't say where the tattoos are or what size. Neck? Forehead? Hands? If so the 'covering up' advice will be hard work. Elsewhere I suspect it depends on size. Get a tattooist to amend the clown to show him holding a regimental flag....check what regiment the fella at the Army Careers Office is first and get the same.

As for the skinhead tattoo it's probably tough titty but an imaginative tattoo artist should be able to design and disguise pretty much anything... for a price

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Getting your blood group tattooed under your arm wasn't a choice though, was it?

My grandfather got a tattoo when he was in the army during WWII but I feel its rather unprofessional.
My grandfather got a tattoo when he was in the army during WWII as well. He was in the Polish Army at the time and those nasty Russians took him prisoner and sent him off to somewhere cold. He got a tattoo like this

Not sure I'd say it was unproffessional... not to his face anyway...

I have been unsuccessful in joining the Army because of 2 tattoos I have, 1 of a clown with his middle finger up and the othe of a logo for a skinhead musical festival i went to years ago which was said could be seen as far right as it says the word skinhead in it.

Thanks in advance.
Which Blood and Honour festival was it?

It wasn't anything bad just his initials, apparently everyone was getting tattoos and it was a peer pressure thing or something.

I don't like tats.