Covering a backside?

Boris is doing his best

It was avoidable as it was prevalent elsewhere in the world on the news, being tracked, but a lock down was refused, Cheltenham went ahead football matches in Europe went ahead.
Stop acting the goat on this it was avoidable, it was containable even when it started, emptying oops out of hospital into care homes untested was avoidable. Lesson were ignored.

Change of track please give examples of competent leadership.
The most obvious example of competent leadership was the vaccine program.

You seem to forget (or, more likely don’t understand) that the UK is a parliamentary democracy. Government ministers do not normally have the power to rule by decree; that power is granted by Parliament only when necessary. Even then, the execution of much of government policy is by arms length accountable bodies like the NHS or PHE.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
I’ve already told you that you’re wrong about this... Just a gentle clue, I work at a senior level in a non NHS (but very large) healthcare setting. We were trying to get extra supplies of PPE in early February 2020, as were the NHS. There wasn’t any to be had at that point. Anywhere. Because oddly everyone was trying to buy the same PPE at the same time at an international level. My requirements for masks went up approximately 5000% overnight. There’s just no way that manufacturing could supply that in the short term.

But you continue to make an idle political point from a place of complete ignorance. You’re an idiot.

In my previous NHS post I experienced the same thing well before Covid. International shortage of disposable aprons (I think it was 2018?) couldn't get them for love nor money. Some Trusts had to borrow from others. Luckily it was only a short term shortage, a few months - and most units had enough in their own stores to tide them over, but only just.
I was asked to get pricing on masks in Jan 2020 - I laughed and said we are way too late for that, I can get pricing but there won't be any available. Even Fleabay and Alibaba had nothing (not that I'd go there anyway!)
Didn't take long after that for all the "new business start-ups" to hound us with "UK made great offers, etc.."
Again, wouldn't touch with someone elses barge pole. No certificate of conformity? No sale!

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Did the NHS run out of PPE?
Not as far as I know, but then most suppliers I talked to (65 in one week) all said they were ring-fencing what stock they had for NHS customers only. This lasted until July 2020 IIRC, when stock levels increased

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
There is a significant amount of genetic evidence now appearing that suggests it had been modified in a lab setting for gain of function testing. What the virus is now is not what the initial virus was pre outbreak, and the way it differs bears all the hallmarks of human intervention.

Then there are the , to say the least, unusual actions of Peter Daszak who was responsible for raising a lot of funding for the lab in Wuhan that was testing the virus. It’s somewhat odd that WHO allowed him anywhere near the investigation into the source of the outbreak, wouldn’t you have said?
I think you must have seen the same article as I did yesterday!
Then today the External Auditors Report on the WHO PPE purchasing is published....

"If the allegations are substantiated by the investigation, the report along with its recommendations are forwarded to the administrative authorities concerned to take suitable disciplinary action against the staff involved in the misconduct"

Not looking too rosy over there!

Not as far as I know, but then most suppliers I talked to (65 in one week) all said they were ring-fencing what stock they had for NHS customers only. This lasted until July 2020 IIRC, when stock levels increased
That’s what we had too. As the vast majority of work that we do is contracted to the NHS our procurement people arranged for us to be classed as part of the NHS provision, so we did get a sensible level of supply once that happened.

llech

LE
Why does it need to happen? What would your plan have been?
Watched the news,got some Epidemiologists in, listened to them followed their advice. Cleared out the cabinet searched for the best and brightest regardless of what party they came from. Put the country on a war footing locked down when the experts told them to.
Hunkered down hoped for the best, if it was shitty ask a scientist what was the best course, listened to them and followed their advice.

Hunkered down hoped for the best, if it was shitty ask a scientist what was the best course, listened to them and followed their advice.

Which scientist ? Because there wasnt a concensous - there still isnt a concensous on the best approach
What about economic advice and medical advice -
What about social factors

The government did follow advice - you can argue they followed the wrong advice or that they weighted their decisions in the wrong way - but the whole they ignored advice schtick really amounts to an aggrieved they didnt follow My advice / the advice i thought was best - and a refusal to contemplate other factors.

Thats a global issue.

Why does it need to happen? What would your plan have been?

Personally id like it looked into, but with the context of the Pandemic in mind.

If he passed the contracts to him -because he sought to do his mate a favour - hang him - twice ( for the crime and for proffiteering of the pandemic)

If however he (or anyone from any party) has passed contracts to friends - simply because of the desperate need to do stuff and those being the 1st people who come to mind well - then extenuating circumstances apply and a verbal reminder as to what the rules are

llech

LE
Which scientist ? Because there wasnt a concensous - there still isnt a concensous on the best approach
What about economic advice and medical advice -
What about social factors

The government did follow advice - you can argue they followed the wrong advice or that they weighted their decisions in the wrong way - but the whole they ignored advice schtick really amounts to an aggrieved they didnt follow My advice / the advice i thought was best - and a refusal to contemplate other factors.

Thats a global issue.
Do you believe there were scientists saying keep Cheltenham, carry on with football matches don't bother locking down when Italy was already in deep shit?

Watched the news,got some Epidemiologists in, listened to them followed their advice. Cleared out the cabinet searched for the best and brightest regardless of what party they came from. Put the country on a war footing locked down when the experts told them to.
Strangely they did get epidemiologists in and lots of them. Strangely they did listen to their advice for the most part. Most of them couldn’t agree whether it was raining or not if you asked them though, as is typical of scientists, hence the plethora of models of greater or lesser hystericalness. There wasn’t a single viewpoint at that time. At that time NOONE knew what was going to happen as it was a novel virus.

At least we now know that all the government was missing was your non-existent expertise based purely on hindsight, ignorance and political dogma.

Do you believe there were scientists saying keep Cheltenham, carry on with football matches don't bother locking down when Italy was already in deep shit?
Has anyone has produced evidence to suggest that Cheltenham or football matches was the cause of the pandemic building in the UK? The majority of infections came from the healthcare system.

Watched the news,
Hunkered down hoped for the best,

raw

Sensible policies for a brighter future.