Covenant - The new buzzword.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Victorian_Major, Aug 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now that some people have had time to look it up in a dictionary...

Cameron's Social Covenant

Now the lightweight fop is free to use whatever language he chooses - but does anyone else feel that he's picked an easy buzzword?

The trouble is that the politicians will render a rather succinct and powerful concept utterly meaningless. Covenants will join charters and czars as ridiculous and hackneyed phrases.
  2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Nice one Cameron you fcuking GIMP! Detract from the one true meaning of the word in our society, and pull it a step away from the Forces for whom it means so much.

You CNUT! I will never, ever vote for you, you vacuous, inane, simple, lying piece of cr@p!
  3. Get off your high horse. and lower your sense of self importance. The word 'covenant' has been in use in the English languge for centuries. It is not a military word and does not relate to the military at all unless in the case of 'The Military Covenant'.
  4. Of course, covenant is a term not a phrase. Ooops.

Whilst I think that Liarbour would have also leapt on the term, I have to agree that the Tories seem hell-bent on making themselves unelectable. Is this primary-school level of debate they seem to want to hold the best they can do? Social Covenants? I ask you. Being in charge means showing some leadership, not showing that you were in a debating society.

Underneath Cameron are Hague, Redwood and Duncan-Smith all reeking of failure and silly ideas, of which this is the latest and most transparent and superficial one.
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Funny how he chooses it as a soundbite for 'social issues' in the middle of news reporting about government failure to honour the 'Military Covenant'.

I'm on my hobby horse for the reasons stated in the first post. At very best that vacuous tw@t has NO originality in his choice of soundbite, and it does indeed devalue the word enormously, which does a huge disservice to the public perception of the word when relating it to the Military Covenant.

In the one instant, that of the military one, it has enormous meaning, but when wielded by the likes of Camercnut, it very quickly means precisely fcuk all to the British electorate.

For you information numb-nuts, I am fully aware of what the word means.

Rant mode off.
  6. I couldn't agree more with you.
  7. Seconded; looks like grubby getting on the bandwagon by the Stylish T0sser
  8. Absolutely true. But the moment a word enters political parlance it loses all meaning and gives the user a 'quick fix.' We struggle to convey the nature of Service Life to a public that seems to be more hell-bent on stabbing and shooting each other at the moment. The idea of a military covenant conveyed the true nature of our pact with the government quite neatly. I just regret the fact that we will find our own argument diluted by people seizing short-term political capital.

But that's what politicians do. I always feel dirty after having voted for one...