Couscous

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by bossyboots, Feb 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today i decided to buy some of this Couscous stuff that folk keep rattling on about. However can anyone tell me what to do with it? I know how to cook it ( instructions on packet ) but that aside what can it be used with or put with?
    It will be sat in the back of the cupboard until 2035 otherwise :)

Idea's please ta.

2. Nice with a salad and/or fish.

3. cheers Boss, i'll give that a whirl :) I bought some flavoured and some plain.

4. To the plain cous cous.....once cooked, nice and fluffy, add some finely chopped red onion and apricot, sounds a bit kack but as a side to a salad dish with a juicy lump of dead cow (or bambi for even tastier results) its an out and out winner.

5. We have it as a replacement for rice under a nice chilli. Try it, you might be pleasantly suprised.

6. Also nice with a bit of salmon cooked in soy sauce, with a bit of pak choi chopped and mixed in with the cous cous.

7. It all sounds wonderful, thanks all..keep em coming :D

8. For the plain stuff:

Make up a largeish bowlful.. about half a bag of dry plain couscous and enough boiling water (or chicken stock for more flavour) to soak. Leave for 10 mins. Fluff up with a fork.
    Now stir in 2 tbsp olive oil and some salad dressing (Newmans balsamic is nice)... about 4 tbsp of that. Add a chopped up yellow pepper, a handful of chopped spring onions, some chopped fresh parsley and coriander, and some toasted pine nuts. (Just heat them gently in a dry frying pan and toss them for about 2 mins til they smell nice). You'll need about 3-4 tbsp of those.
    Mix the whole lot together well and season with fresh ground pepper and a pinch of salt.

That makes a nice healthy yet filling salad that you can take to work with you in a box.

9. Not only great with meat and fish but also makes really lovely stuffed tomatoes, aubergines, cabbage leaves

10. Roast some peppers, courgettes and cherry toms on a high heat for half an hour in olive oil and mix them into the couscous. Cube up some feta and stick that in too. Nice with some spiced up pork chops.

11. I find that I like the cous-cous to absorb the flavour of the spices/sauces I am cooking so I prefer to cook the cous-sous with the liquid.
    Example.
    Fry onion and mushroom, green and (a little) red pepper (little carrot optional).
    Add lamb pieces, stock to cover, basil, paprika, cumin, salt. Cover pan and simmer until lamb is tender.
    Grate in a little tomato (Or a lot depending on taste), adding more water if necessary.
    Bring to boil.
    Turn off flame and add uncooked cous-cous directly.
    Leave covered for a few minutes, cous cous will expand and cook with the liquid leaving a dry(ish) meal.
    Eat with salad/veg.

Multi-variations on the above depending on taste and what you have to hand.
    You will note that if you leave some cous-cous for the next day the flavour will be better as it absorbs it ovcer time.

Bon apetit.

12. couscous. delicious.
    extremely bland and uninspiring on its own. you need to put stuff with it.

slice a lemon and squeeze the juice in minus pips. chop some fresh coriander and some room temperature fresh tomatoes. Then season well salt and pepper and and a big slug of olive oil.. mix and leave to stand.

salmon fillet in inch slices fried in olive oil till just half done and add some chopped red chillies and some chopped asparagus. then continue frying the salmon & move the fresh chillies and asparugus around till cooked.

plate up cous cous add salmon asparaugus and chillies with a dollop of creme fraiche on the side. season to taste.

enjoy.

13. I used to let it get cold and then add lemon juice cold prawns and apricots. Bloody marvelous.

14. You are obviously a stranger to the joys of the preserved lemon...and the mysteries of the tajine! I recommend a cous-cous side dish to a spicy lemon chicken, featuring chilli, coriander and lemon...