Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by 3rgj, Oct 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. is it normal to lose your medals after a court-martial, my old man done 24yrs and lost his medals GSM's and campaign medals and a bravery medal and M.I.Ds oak leaves, has anyone else had this happen
  2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

It could be. You would need to see the actual sentence of the court.
  3. Surely not
  4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

5. Depends what he did. I have heard of a LSGC being withdrawn, but I am a little sceptical of both a bravery award (which one?) and a M.I.D to the same person being forfeited. Bravery awards are made in recognition of a specific deed. They are not removed whatever the subsequent conduct of the recipient.
  6. You would not loose campaign medals because of courts martial. Sounds like he didn't get any and is making excuses
  7. Forefeited the VC:

"The King feels so strongly that, no matter the crime committed by anyone on whom the VC has been conferred, the decoration should not be forfeited. Even were a VC to be sentenced to be hanged for murder, he should be allowed to wear his VC on the gallows."

Cannot see why your Father's medals were taken. The above statement was from King George V.

I would look into this if I were you mate.
  8. They wouldnt be,which leads me to believe his Dad is telling porkies, i know a guy who did time for attempted murder, and kept all his medals, another lad did time for armed robbery he kept his.
  9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I have been out for some time (as I am sure many will point out!) however, back in the early 70's one of our guys was sentenced in civvy court and got time - when the Q turned up for his kit (tube stood in No 2 at his trial) the GSM was taken also. Can't remember the regulation but IIRC if you were discharged following a court martial, or civvy offence then you lost your medals. The VC one is the only one, I think, which remains with the recipient.

As I say times may have changed, but I very much doubt it.
  10. My dad was court martialed and kept his
  11. well this happened no bullsh**, which is why i put this post here to see if this is the norm,
    some say it is some say it isnt so futher investigation is in order

thanks to those who have answered
  12. Mate of mine (Navy) went down for a fairly serious crime, if i recall correctly he lost his medals which agrieved him at the time
  13. This has to be a huge amount of sponk. Medals are awarded for campaigns, you cannot take back a bravery award for an incident even a LSGC has to be earned.
    An exception might be a Jubilee medal though.
  14. I am pretty certain they can take your medals off you,but as has been pointed out not the VC
  15. Not doubting you but I'm sure 5 VCs have been withdrawn (I think for treason)This might have been before King Georges statement though.