court-martial

is it normal to lose your medals after a court-martial, my old man done 24yrs and lost his medals GSM's and campaign medals and a bravery medal and M.I.Ds oak leaves, has anyone else had this happen

oldbaldy

LE
It could be. You would need to see the actual sentence of the court.

Depends what he did. I have heard of a LSGC being withdrawn, but I am a little sceptical of both a bravery award (which one?) and a M.I.D to the same person being forfeited. Bravery awards are made in recognition of a specific deed. They are not removed whatever the subsequent conduct of the recipient.

You would not loose campaign medals because of courts martial. Sounds like he didn't get any and is making excuses

Forefeited the VC:

"The King feels so strongly that, no matter the crime committed by anyone on whom the VC has been conferred, the decoration should not be forfeited. Even were a VC to be sentenced to be hanged for murder, he should be allowed to wear his VC on the gallows."

Cannot see why your Father's medals were taken. The above statement was from King George V.

I would look into this if I were you mate.

Cannot see why your Father's medals were taken
They wouldnt be,which leads me to believe his Dad is telling porkies, i know a guy who did time for attempted murder, and kept all his medals, another lad did time for armed robbery he kept his.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I have been out for some time (as I am sure many will point out!) however, back in the early 70's one of our guys was sentenced in civvy court and got time - when the Q turned up for his kit (tube stood in No 2 at his trial) the GSM was taken also. Can't remember the regulation but IIRC if you were discharged following a court martial, or civvy offence then you lost your medals. The VC one is the only one, I think, which remains with the recipient.

As I say times may have changed, but I very much doubt it.

well this happened no bullsh**, which is why i put this post here to see if this is the norm,
some say it is some say it isnt so futher investigation is in order

thanks to those who have answered

This has to be a huge amount of sponk. Medals are awarded for campaigns, you cannot take back a bravery award for an incident even a LSGC has to be earned.
An exception might be a Jubilee medal though.

blobmeister said:
Forefeited the VC:

"The King feels so strongly that, no matter the crime committed by anyone on whom the VC has been conferred, the decoration should not be forfeited. Even were a VC to be sentenced to be hanged for murder, he should be allowed to wear his VC on the gallows."

Cannot see why your Father's medals were taken. The above statement was from King George V.

I would look into this if I were you mate.
Not doubting you but I'm sure 5 VCs have been withdrawn (I think for treason)This might have been before King Georges statement though.

Seems to be here, two threads of thought.

Campaign medals arent lost.
Bravery awards are.

The Victoria Cross Association list's all VC winners, including the 8 that were forefeited:

"In 1920 the Secretary of State for War approved amendments to the Royal Warrant for the Victoria Cross, specifying that only 'treason, cowardice, felony or an infamous crime' should lead to forfeiture of the award. But the amendments were not retrospective. It was not until 1953 that the War Office issued a list of VCs which included Gunner Collis and the seven other forfeitures."

seems to me that its down to the individual's case and why hes up for court-martial as there is no hard n fast rules as to why you would lose your medals and half your pension, but i suppose once there gone thats it you aint getting them back.........oh well never mind will see if veterans .uk can help

Campaign medals remain the property of the army until a soldier transfers to the reserve at which point they are his to keep. Or so I was told.

It seems utterly vindictive to strip a soldier of his medals unless he had done something heinous and despicable like rape or child abuse or commited an act of treason.

I suspect that if men lost their medals it was probably on the orders of spiteful individual COs/RSMs or on the initiative of the senior bod on the spot and wasn't army policy as such.

In the 'old days' you pretty much lost all rights as soon as the court martial tribunal said
"March the guilty bas*ard in"

While serving the medals are Her Majesty and belong to her, on conviction your kit is removed including medals which are returned to the medal office. On discharge you can reclaim them from the medal office. (in most cases medals are held by the regiment).
Medal issue can be stopped for offences in theatre but this can be appealed on discharge this would normally be for minor infringement's drunk, striking a senior etc any thing that sends you home and the appeal would be based on meeting the criteria for the medal before the offence (to date no one who has been convicted and shot has been awarded medals).

I would be very sceptical about this account