Court Martial Question (For The Brits)

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Phil306, Jan 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm not sure what you would call it in the British Army. I believe however, court martial is pretty well known/understood.

Can you be court martialed in the British Army, for making disparging, rude, etc types of comments, toward Tony Blair, The Queen, et al? Meaning, obviously ofcourse, while you are a serving member?
  2. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

jesus, if it was, most of this website users would be in clink by now. Anyway, no we cant, but can be told to wind our necks in and so on...

Can we?
  3. If they court-martialled every British soldier who made disparaging remarks about Tony Bliar we wouldn't have an army!
  4. Ah the penny drops!!
    Are the reasons we are in such a shiite state because of all the disparaging remarks made toward him :D
  5. Depends how you frame the charge, I suppose in theory someone might try section 69 of the Army Act but in all truthfulness I could never envisage the sad **** individual who would even try to make any charge like that stick. After all anything said about Blair would probably be the truth :)
  6. I think diparaging remarks against Tony Blair are OK, because we are all voters and british citizens, however I think if we were to tell HRH to take her face for a sh1t then we'd definately be up for some sort of reprimand.
    Figuratively speaking of course.
  7. Phil306 - no - we have no direct corrolation to the offence that is referenced in UCMJ.

Hope this helps.
  8. For making remarks about tony blair? no

For making remarks about the queen? probably

When you say your attestation oath you swear aleigence to the queen, her heirs and the officers set over us.
  9. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

However,as some senior officers/SNCO's have found out,speaking out publicly can have a knock on effect to one's career.
  10. I think Proximo hit it on the head. HERE we can be court martialled under the UCMJ, under Article 134 (General). Meaning, they don't like what you did, and/or said, and pow, you are standing tall...
  11. Yep, Proximo hit it exactly on the head Phil. The nearest we have is Section 69 as Baldrick said: 'Conduct (or Neglect) to the prejudice of Good Order and Military Discipline.' We don't have to like politicians, 'cos none of them are our C in C. In real barrack-room lawyer speak, they may not like what we say or do, but have to prove whether it prejudices either Good Order or Military Discipline.