• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Court Fines

I have £1800's worth of fines from 99-03 when i was a little shit. Im about to go to a fines clinic about getting it sorted. They are all driving offences the last being in 2002/3. They were..no insurance, no licence, drink driving (was actually a passenger but still convicted and lost appeal)

Anyway as i said i am about to go to a fines clinic and arrange a plan. Will this stop me joining up? Do they need to be cleared in full or as long as i show its being dealt with will they consider seeing as tho they not on the serious end of the criminal scale......

Under Rehab of offenders act 1974 a fine you get a 5 year rehab period if your over 18 and a 2.5 year rehab period if you under 18. You can have up to 2 unspent convictions and still join the Army. If you have more your ACA 4 can apply for some smaller convictions to be put asaide as such. You need to go into your local AFCO/ACIO and speak to them. If you send me you crime report i can work it out for you.

how can you be a passenger and still get convicted of drink driving?

smudge67 said:
*bites his tongue* !!!
I know i know, its my fault ur insurance is so high i. Ive grew up, got kids and not been in trouble or driven for 5 years since i was 21. Id say im rehabilitated.

As for the crime report. How do i get one of those? will the fines office have a list of my offences i was charged with?

batfink said:

was a 3 door car, pissing down rain, wipers of full, 9pm on a friday night. 2 lads in the front, me and a mate, his brother in the back. Police past, done a U turn, the driver stopped, slipped into the back of the car behind the passenger seat. As no one would own up to driving they nicked me saying i moved seats and they saw my silhouette move right to left. My argument was how can u be so sure that was me and not the someone going left to right into the back, why would 2 lads be in the back of a 3 door car, the weather conditions, time of night..etc...ended up at crown, got another 400 on top. Gives u confidence in the justice system dont it especially when a lad i know walked free from that very same court room a few weeks later for possesion of a firearm in a nightclub....he got 200 hours community service.. amazing!

carlbcfc said:
batfink said:

was a 3 door car, pissing down rain, wipers of full, 9pm on a friday night. 2 lads in the front, me and a mate, his brother in the back. Police past, done a U turn, the driver stopped, slipped into the back of the car behind the passenger seat. As no one would own up to driving they nicked me saying i moved seats and they saw my silhouette move right to left. My argument was how can u be so sure that was me and not the someone going left to right into the back, why would 2 lads be in the back of a 3 door car, the weather conditions, time of night..etc...ended up at crown, got another 400 on top. Gives u confidence in the justice system dont it especially when a lad i know walked free from that very same court room a few weeks later for possesion of a firearm in a nightclub....he got 200 hours community service.. amazing!
Some mate he was! Letting you take the rap.

carlbcfc said:
batfink said:

Quite....given that you were part of a criminal conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.....I'd say you got off cheap. Oh, and your mate's a w@nk!

Daytona955 said:
Once a criminal - always a criminal, rehabilitation doesn't work, stats prove that. You would just join up, get drunk in the JRC, nick someones moter and kill someone whilst you were driving uninsured and in a wild manner.

No mate, don't tempt fate, stick to the dole where criminals like you belong.
Hold on a bit, this ain't the NAAFI. He has come on here asking advice. He has fessed up to his dodgy past. The recruiting system will judge whether he gets in or not. It's not down to you. If you have something constructive to say, then lets hear it. Otherwise, perhaps you should just let him get on with it.

cheers lads the help (an verbal assualt) has been appreciated. Just need advice on how to obtain my CRIME REPORT as mentioned by LOADED-GO-ON ??????..

I hope there aren't a good number of Daytona's when I join up. Anyway good look Carl, I'm sure you'll get in given that it's obviously been a very long time since this happened and that people in a position of power don't see it as "Once a criminal, always a criminal".

Paying fines off for criminal convictions - I am presuming that you have more than 1 conviction and that you were lucky each time and they only fined you - which you couldn't afford anyway, so laughed your way out of court each time to re-offend....BUT as you have said, you are now responsible, just have a big fat official type debt hanging over you.

If the offences were 5-8 years ago, then they should be "spent", but I am no expert. The ACIO will tell you and as honesty is always the best policy when enlisting (they will find out if you lie and you'll then be chucked out for false attestation). I would say that on the face of it, it shouldn't be an issue, unless the repayment plan takes all of your money each month and you can't support your family - that will be hard enough on Basic Training wages as it is, without deducting £xx per month to clear 5 year old Magistrates Fines.

Could drop a letter to the police headquarters that nicked you. Best to address it for attention of records office.

Or (more likely) look at http://www.cps.gov.uk/foi/index.html at Crown Prosecution Service. You are entitled under Data Protection to see your own personal data held with them. How long it will take to get what you need is another matter I imagine.

If you want advice on getting your crime record go and see the Citizens Advice Bureau. They will be able to assist you with the necessary paperwork etc.