Course applications

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by speckygeek, Nov 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I heard somewhere that if you get turned down for a military course 3 times, on the 4th time you are guaranteed a place on the next course. Is this true or another duty rumour.
  2. Duty rumour Id say
  3. I suspect, speckygeek, that there is a reason for them turning down the course
  4. It was the first time I have applied (not been eligable untill recently). I know the courses I want are usually fully booked. I just wanted to see if there was any light at the end of the tunnel or if I just keep applying untill I get the green light.

I dont think I made myself clear. My unit okayed the course I just never got selected to attend.

Pen at the ready, course apps ready, I may be some time.
  5. Thats all you can do matey, just check on one thing:-

Some Trg establishments - if you are unsuccessful, they will automatically load you onto the next course, others just t0ss your application in the shredder
  6. There a number of reasons why you would not be successful in your applications:

1. Oversubscription, most courses are fully booked up well in advance - try and submit 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices WELL in advance.

2. Even if your application is early - ensure your priority is up there - there are ways and means to make your circumstances fit the requirement.

3. Even if pencilled-in (I hate that term) for a course before final loading - you may get kicked off by someone in need for career advancement or operational requirement. Make sure your justification is needful.

4. Lastly and in my opinion the most important - Be prepared to travel at the drop of a hat - I have secured a number of courses for my guys (from PTI courses to Adv Trg to CMT and driving courses) by ensuring the relevant courses clerk has my number and knows that my guy can travel last minute in the case of a cancellation (of which there are normally quite a few). This also depends on your unit being happy to excuse you at a moments notice and your training wing being prepared to go the distance for you.