courageous restraint medal

Hell every time I see civvies I have to resist the urge to slot them... I must be owed hundreds of medals for my courageous restraint... and thats just when I'm on the p*ss!!

My ironyometer shows no flicker at that article - I had to do a BITE test to check it was still working.

A medal for NOT engaging civilians? How on earth does someone write that citation?

Oh come on, they just like keeping things fresh and imaginative. No citation required, it can sit beside the "Finding my way to the PX in the Dark" award. :)

What? A medal for doing your job correctly?

GTF.......

Much along the same lines of the note from a US high-up (possibly McCrystal, can't remember) that mentioned a 'redefinition of gallantry'. As ever a reasonable idea made to sound less so when reduced to soundbites

Lesserbustard said:
Much along the same lines of the note from a US high-up (possibly McCrystal, can't remember) that mentioned a 'redefinition of gallantry'. As ever a reasonable idea made to sound less so when reduced to soundbites
A redefinition of gallantry or a guaranteed one way trip through Wooton Bassett?

This isn't an American idea, it's British

Troops to be honoured for not firing

Published Date: 05 May 2010
By MARK SMITH
BRITISH soldiers serving in Afghanistan are set to be awarded medals for "courageous restraint" if they avoid using force that could endanger innocent lives.
Those backing the plan hope it will provide soldiers with an incentive to think twice before calling in an airstrike or firing at an approaching vehicle if civilians could be at risk.

Most military awards in the past have been awarded for acts of controlled aggression.

However, US Command Sergeant Major Michael Hall, the senior enlisted Nato soldier in Afghanistan, is now backing proposals from British commanders to change the criteria, rewarding those who refuse to use firepower.

"We are considering how we look at awards differently," said Sgt Major Hall.

British Major General Nick Carter, the Nato commander of troops in southern Afghanistan, proposed the idea of rewarding soldiers for "courageous restraint" during a visit to Kandahar Airfield.

US General Stanley McChrystal, the most senior Nato commander in theatre, is now actively considering the proposal.

Am I the only one here who thinks this policy will actually ENCOURAGE the use of human shields by Terry once he gets wind of this policy?

LOAC states that the ones using Human Shileds are responsible for any subsequent civilian deaths. The f*cking media should report along those lines too... thats where the problem lies.

Courageous restraint - what absolute bollocks!

Thaddeus said:
Courageous restraint - what absolute balls!
We've been doing it for years.. its called situational awareness.

I've done situational awareness - you just need to get your story straight before the gestapo move in.

Thaddeus said:
I've done situational awareness - you just need to get your story straight before the gestapo move in.
And kill any witnesses :evil:

Tastytoggle said:
Oh come on, they just like keeping things fresh and imaginative. No citation required, it can sit beside the "Finding my way to the PX in the Dark" award. :)
Giving a medal for restraint was proposed by British Maj. Gen. Nick Carter, ISAF’s Regional Command South commander

Lol

InVinoVeritas said:
Am I the only one here who thinks this policy will actually ENCOURAGE the use of human shields by Terry once he gets wind of this policy?
I dont think that terry needs any encouragement to do this. They already know our ROE's and use them aganst us.

saladdoger said:
InVinoVeritas said:
I dont think that terry needs any encouragement to do this. They already know our ROE's and use them aganst us.
Exactly... so instead of rewarding ISAF troops for doing what the do as routine... how about prosecuting any captured Terry in the International Criminal Court for War Crimes for what they do as routine? Just a thought.

Funnily enough, I never thought that "killing civilians for a laugh" was ever part of the SOP's anyway.

One of the things that I am actually proud of is that the Brit Mil has been criticised in the past on both Telic and Herrick for being too conservative when engaging targets where there may be innocents present. They may have let actual bad guys get away but have done so at the expense of letting the boat load of innocent bystanders that were around them live.

I saw the same on Grapple (once the gloves were off) where it would have been easy to toast an emplacement but it would have been at the cost of a village of people that just wanted to go about their day to day business, so didn't do it. We waited and found more surgical ways of doing it instead.

I've always seen that as an honourable thing, Brit Mil doesn't like "collateral damage" and does appear to avoid it whenever it can. I would say as a whole that the entire Army should be lauded for continuing to do so.