Courage

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by bergo, Jan 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. News by country
    ALL ISLANDS (33)
    ASCENSION ISLAND (2)
    BRIT.ANTARCTIC TER. (0)
    FALKLAND ISLANDS (12)
    S.ATLANTIC GENERAL (6)
    SAINT HELENA (3)
    SOUTH GEORGIA (5)
    TRISTAN DA CUNHA (5)

News by date
    Jan (18)
    Jan (61) Feb (53) Mar (19)
    Apr (38) May (50) Jun (48)
    Jul (41) Aug (52) Sep (42)
    Oct (53) Nov (56) Dec (29)
    Jan (73) Feb (47) Mar (30)
    Apr (41) May (58) Jun (73)
    Jul (55) Aug (63) Sep (67)
    Oct (72) Nov (70) Dec (40)

Search

Sponsored Links
    MAILING LIST
    Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.
    More...

Home | Categories | Heritage
    Falklands : One Man, Seven Continents, Seven Days
    Submitted by Falkland Islands News Network (Juanita Brock) 08.01.2008 (Current Article)
    One man is attempting to run 7 marathons in one week.

UK Guide Dogs announces one man’s blind dream of completing Seven Magnificent Marathons to begin in Falklands Islands

Seven marathons, seven days, seven continents

Pushing boundaries, living dreams

The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association in the UK announces the Falkland Islands (Antarctica) is to be the start of one blind man’s extraordinary ambition of running Seven Magnificent Marathons – seven marathons, on seven continents, in seven days.

The eyes of the world will be focussed on the starting point of this extraordinary global event, which begins on Monday 07 April 2008, in Port Stanley, as Dave Heeley – Blind Dave as he likes to be known – takes his first stride towards his dream of completing this mammoth challenge.

Having completed the first of Seven Magnificent Marathons in Port Stanley, Dave will leave the Antarctic continent for his second marathon, which he will run in the same 24-hour period in Santiago (South America). He’ll then progress onto six subsequent gruelling legs in Los Angeles (North America), Sydney (Australasia), Dubai (Asia), Nairobi (Africa) and London (Europe) – arriving in spectacular style for the Flora London Marathon on Sunday 13 April.

Inspired by the totally life-transforming independence provided by his guide dog, Dave’s Seven Magnificent Marathons challenge aims to increase awareness of visual impairment around the globe, raise funds for the local visual impairment charities in the countries he is running, and also as much as possible for Guide Dogs in the UK.

Dave, who has been registered blind for the past 20 years, won’t be able to see the locations, routes and supporters. He will rely on his sighted guide Malcolm Carr to accompany him around the global marathon circuit. At home in the UK, Dave relies on the amazing work of Guide Dogs, the charity that has provided him with life-changing freedom of mobility through guide dog ownership spanning over 10 years, with three loyal and dedicated dogs; Peter, Carla and currently Wicksie.

The challenge is far beyond the capabilities of most people, and Dave will need enormous physical and mental stamina to complete his Seven Magnificent Marathons. The punishing schedule involves running 183.4 miles in a week – 26.2 miles a day – putting incredible strains on his body. He will need to remain focussed and use every ounce of strength, as he smashes through pain barriers, time zones and jet lag; all factors he will have to overcome as he pushes the boundaries of human endurance to realise his dream.

Dave, who will be 50-years-old when he embarks on his challenge, is from West Bromwich, in the West Midlands, UK. If successful, he will become the first blind person to complete seven marathons, on seven continents, in seven days. Only internationally renowned British sighted adventurers Sir Ranulph Fiennes and Dr Mike Stroud – who are readily supporting Dave – have ever completed this ultimate endurance test.

Sir Ranulph Fiennes says: "As one of only two people to have completed seven marathons in seven days on seven continents, I can tell you that it is
    perhaps the ultimate in physical endurance. Dave's inspirational Seven Magnificent Marathons global challenge for Guide Dogs is made all the more
    extraordinary by the fact that he’s blind – further pushing the boundaries
    of human endeavour.

“I wholeheartedly support Dave as he runs the world to raise awareness of
    visual impairment and celebrate the independence, freedom and confidence
    that a guide dog provides.”

Dave explains the inspiration behind undertaking this ultimate in endurance:

“Around the world, every five seconds, someone loses their sight, and in many countries there are few services or none at all to help them. In the UK alone, 100 people start to lose their sight every day – with many thousands receiving inadequate support in getting their lives back together after experiencing this loss.

“Having suffered sight loss, I know how terrifying life can seem. I have been fortunate enough to have had my life transformed by Guide Dogs. That is why I am determined to create awareness of visual impairment around the globe in an effort to improve services for blind and partially sighted people, while also raising money for Guide Dogs. By doing this, I am hoping to make a personal difference to the lives of people with sight loss worldwide by bringing mobility issues to the forefront of people’s minds, and help fund the training of more guide dogs for blind or partially sighted people in the UK.”

Dr Mike Stroud says: "Running seven marathons in seven days on seven continents will push Dave to the absolute limit of his physical endurance - and is a human feat made all the more poignant by the fact that he’s blind.”

Getting involved: Feel inspired and want to be a part of history? Join Dave as he completes the first leg of his Seven Magnificent Marathons in Port Stanley, and help him to become the first blind person to complete seven marathons, on seven continents, in seven days. For more information about Seven Magnificent Marathons, simply visit www.7mm.org.uk. To donate to Dave’s secure giving site for raising money for Guide Dogs in the UK visit www.justgiving.com/7mm.

Says Dave: “Having an army of supporters to run alongside me in Port Stanley on the first leg of my Seven Magnificent Marathons will make such an enormous difference. I will carry every single person that joins me for the 26-miles of the route in my heart, as I prove to the world that sight loss is no barrier to independence and human achievement.”

Former World Championship and Olympic runner Steve Cram MBE, who will be providing BBC commentary at the Flora London Marathon 2008, says: “Dave, I wish you all the luck in the world as you embark on your most grueling challenge of seven marathons, in seven days, on seven continents. I can't imagine what the blisters will be like at the end of it all!

“I look forward to commentating on your last leg at the Flora London Marathon 2008 and congratulate you whole heartedly for all you are doing to promote awareness of visual impairment and raise funds for Guide Dogs.”

Find out more about Dave Heeley’s Seven Magnificent Marathons and to donate to his inspirational global challenge visit www.7mm.org.uk.

Good luck fella

Edited by Mod so that I can bloody read it properly! :D

2. May I just say, good luck, however, maybe a slight edit to make it easier on the eyes may be in order

3. Good luck fella.......... I might be with him in body aswell if i get the chance but will definately help in other ways.

mmmmmm April in the Falklands isnt that the start of winter. :?

4. That is fecking bonkers, I bet his dog is threaders though

5. Just hope it doesnt take him for a short cut through the hillside outside Stanley, or chase a few penguins through farmer MINES fields.

6. Ok a little bump here on this to remind everyone of Daves charity work in a weeks time. I realise theres lots of worthy causes out there but if you have some time look at his website. More info and news of his challenge and if enough ARRSERS give donations I may be recalled out of retirement.