"Courage Under Fire" - what is it? Book help please

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Tim_Lynch, Jun 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Another media request but bear with me, it's in a good cause.

I’ve been asked to put together a book on behalf of Combat Stress (the Ex-Services mental health charity) on the subject of “Courage Under Fire” and I’m hoping you may be able to help me. I’d very much like to hear your thoughts on what “Courage Under Fire” means to you and about your own experiences.

Obviously, the publishers want to include the high profile gallantry awards and I’ll be doing that but I’m strongly of the belief that a hundred medals are earned for every one actually awarded. I’d like to highlight the day to day courage of men and women on active service and the stories that don‘t make the newspapers. That’s why I’m seeking the opinions of people who know what courage is really all about. While I'm waiting for their answers I thought I'd ask you lot as well. :D

The sort of questions I’m interested in asking are:

Why did you decide to join up?

What do you remember most about training?

How did you feel when you learned you were going to war?

What was your first impression when you reached the war zone?

What was it that made you realise this wasn't an exercise?

What do you remember about your first time under fire?

What do you remember most about the experience of being there?

What was the bravest thing you ever saw anyone do?

What was the best day you remember during your time at war?

What was the worst?

Looking back, how do you think your experience has shaped who you are today?

Any answers, long or short to any or all of the above would be very welcome. Personal information will be treated with respect. I'm not looking to dig up any controversies, just honest answers.

Due to time constraints, I need the responses by mid-July at the latest in order to edit them and get them included so the sooner the better. Please include your name, unit and the theatre(s) you served in - and please remember that Bravo Two Zero was an 8 man patrol and I’ve already heard from 14 veterans of it!!!!

You can post here or I can be contacted directly by e-mail at Elyncho@aol.com .

Thanks in advance

Tim

2. Can we assume that you meant to insert a "tongue in cheek" smiley, there?

3. :D Of course. I thought I had. Now rectified and thanks for pointing it out. No offence meant guys.