Couple of Questions

The_Duke

LE
I would say make an appointment to visit the unit.

If they ignore the request, fob you off, ignore you when you get there or otherwise treat you with disinterest you can look elsewhere.

If after the journey you find yourself saying feck that, you can think again.

If it all seems good, they should help you through the process of applying.

Crow
I phoned the local barracks up on Wednesday and arranged to visit next week. The man I spoke to on the phone said I should start an online application in the mean time to get the ball rolling.

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it but I've been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome since I was 7. My general impression from research on the internet is that this is not an automatic 'no', but after ticking the box in the online medical, it's given me a very firm no and locked my account out.

Is it worth pushing to be considered, and should I still visit the barracks? Or am I better off just packing the idea in?

Slime

LE
I will probably sound harsh, but I would suggest that Aspergers and army life are not a good combination for most roles.

While many people might see a regimented or rule based system as being good for people on the spectrum there may be an awful lot of things you would encounter that may seriously disturb you.

Forgive me for asking, but does your own condition mean you are sensitive to loud or sudden noises, multiple sources of noises from multiple directions, or differing light levels (all light, not just fluorescent lights)?

Are you OK eating whatever food is served to you, and in whatever manner the cook etc may serve it?

Please don’t be embarrassed about saying you have Aspergers. I supported people with Aspergers in a former job I had a few years back, and knowing how hard, awkward or painful some ‘everyday situations’ could be for my clients I was impressed with how well many people coped with stuff that many members of the general public couldn’t understand.

Crow
I will probably sound harsh, but I would suggest that Aspergers and army life are not a good combination for most roles.

While many people might see a regimented or rule based system as being good for people on the spectrum there may be an awful lot of things you would encounter that may seriously disturb you.

Forgive me for asking, but does your own condition mean you are sensitive to loud or sudden noises, multiple sources of noises from multiple directions, or differing light levels (all light, not just fluorescent lights)?

Are you OK eating whatever food is served to you, and in whatever manner the cook etc may serve it?

Please don’t be embarrassed about saying you have Aspergers. I supported people with Aspergers in a former job I had a few years back, and knowing how hard, awkward or painful some ‘everyday situations’ could be for my clients I was impressed with how well many people coped with stuff that many members of the general public couldn’t understand.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Can't say I'm any of those things.

Would you say it is going to be a flat, firm 'no'?

Slime

LE
Thanks for the quick reply.

Can't say I'm any of those things.

Would you say it is going to be a flat, firm 'no'?
I’m too out of date to know about the current recruitment process, but can only comment on Aspergers in general versus military life.

Snapper 25

Clanker
Definitely speak to your local unit directly. The online system is useless.
If people with your condition are allowed in then hopefully the recruit team can get the ball rolling.

Latest Threads