Coup in Myanmar

While the macro view of Burma is grim, so is the micro view. It is reported that the grave of the first protestor shot dead has been 'disturbed' and something removed from her head.

I wonder how long Htun Aung Kyaw's pictures will be making it out via Reuters?

E2A: interestingly, considering the PRC interest in Burma, is that in the comments to the article someone says that the dead girl was half Chinese and her identity is being discussed in social media in PRC, as far as that can happen.

Last edited:
BBC News in a brief segment just flashed up a report that soldiers have been reported burning Chinese owned business with Chinese business leaders demanding protection.

If true, then is something unwrapping in Burma ?

mogreby

Old-Salt
The burning seems to have been one factor in declaring martial law in some areas. The military would not be above setting a fire or two to give themselves a reason to declare. Also, apparently, in some of the factories the Chinese were still inside although there are no reports I've seen that say any were injured or killed in this event.

Getting very nasty now.

'Myanmar security forces killed at least 90 protesters Saturday in one of the deadliest days of the military’s crackdown on demonstrators protesting last month’s coup.

'Reuters reported that Myanmar Now news portal put the most recent death toll at 91 after it continued to climb as protesters came out in large numbers despite warnings from the military junta that demonstrators would be met with severe force.

'Among the 29 people killed in Myanmar’s second-largest city of Mandalay was a boy believed to be as young as five years old, Reuters reported, citing local media.'

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Airstrikes?
Getting properly nasty

The Karens have been oppressed for years but this is awful.

I believe that Perfidious Albion promised them an independent state after they helped us to beat the Japanese. We didn't go through with that and they have been persecuted, engaged in low level violence with Burma since. How they cling to existence is a mystery to me.

The Karens have been oppressed for years but this is awful.

I believe that Perfidious Albion promised them an independent state after they helped us to beat the Japanese. We didn't go through with that and they have been persecuted, engaged in low level violence with Burma since. How they cling to existence is a mystery to me.
Not so much perfidious Albion as perfidious Burma perhaps.

The Panglong Conference covered the future of all the ethnic or hill tribes and is detailed here:
Panglong Conference - Wikipedia

There had been a Panglong Conference the previous year and, apparently, one last year. The apparent success of the 1947 Panglong Conference led to the Anglo-Burmese Treaty on the independence of Burma (London, 17 October 1947) which may be perused at this link:

I believe that most of the hill tribes supported the British in the Burma campaign, unlike most of the Burman members of the Burma Rifles who shot through early doors. Many of the Burma Rifles who stayed and took part in the withdrawal to India were in fact retired Gurkhas who had chosen to stay in Burma post-service and joined the Burma Rifles as part timers.

Since the collapse of what was agreed at the Panglong Conference, after the assassination of General Aung San, the Tatmadaw has been fighting one or other or several of the hill tribes. Sadly their 'fighting' consists of shooting any unarmed villagers, raping the women and enlisting the children as slaves/porters. Rarely, apparently, does the Tatmadaw stand and fight armed groups of hill tribes.

Russia has now come out and voiced support for Burma, so the odious regime in Naypyidaw has powerful friends.

A possibility to watch out for is the hill tribes' militias getting on the front foot and taking on the Tatmadaw outside the traditional areas. Civil war in other words. Apparently Burmese civilians are fleeing to what they hope is safety in the hill tribes' home areas.

Happy to be corrected on any errors of fact in what I have said, I need to get into the linked docs myself and do some revision.

Not so much perfidious Albion as perfidious Burma perhaps.

The Panglong Conference covered the future of all the ethnic or hill tribes and is detailed here:
Panglong Conference - Wikipedia

There had been a Panglong Conference the previous year and, apparently, one last year. The apparent success of the 1947 Panglong Conference led to the Anglo-Burmese Treaty on the independence of Burma (London, 17 October 1947) which may be perused at this link:

I believe that most of the hill tribes supported the British in the Burma campaign, unlike most of the Burman members of the Burma Rifles who shot through early doors. Many of the Burma Rifles who stayed and took part in the withdrawal to India were in fact retired Gurkhas who had chosen to stay in Burma post-service and joined the Burma Rifles as part timers.

Since the collapse of what was agreed at the Panglong Conference, after the assassination of General Aung San, the Tatmadaw has been fighting one or other or several of the hill tribes. Sadly their 'fighting' consists of shooting any unarmed villagers, raping the women and enlisting the children as slaves/porters. Rarely, apparently, does the Tatmadaw stand and fight armed groups of hill tribes.

Russia has now come out and voiced support for Burma, so the odious regime in Naypyidaw has powerful friends.

A possibility to watch out for is the hill tribes' militias getting on the front foot and taking on the Tatmadaw outside the traditional areas. Civil war in other words. Apparently Burmese civilians are fleeing to what they hope is safety in the hill tribes' home areas.

Happy to be corrected on any errors of fact in what I have said, I need to get into the linked docs myself and do some revision.
This is not a bad book. Dave Everett was RAEME and an Australian SAS soldier who left and joined the Karen Liberation Front in the eighties. Unfortunatlely he decided to fund raise for them by armed robbery and agravated burgalrary back in Australia where he became the countries most wanted, before ended up in HMP Perth in maximun security for a good few years. He gives a good background on the Karen situation including the history.

Dave Everett.

download - 2021-03-30T034347.634.jpg

Wikipedia (yes, I know) differs:

The Rohingya population is concentrated in the historical region of Arakan, an old coastal country in Southeast Asia. It is not clear who the original settlers of Arakan were. Arkanese chronicles claim that the Rakhine have inhabited Arakan since 3000 BCE. By the 4th century, Arakan became one of the earliest Indianized kingdoms in Southeast Asia. The first Arakanese state flourished in Dhanyawadi. Power then shifted to the city of Waithali. Sanskrit inscriptions in the region indicate that the founders of the first Arakanese states were Indian. Arakan was ruled by the Chandra dynasty.[105] The British historian Daniel George Edward Hall stated that "The Burmese do not seem to have settled in Arakan until possibly as late as the tenth century CE. Hence earlier dynasties are thought to have been Indian, ruling over a population similar to that of Bengal. All the capitals known to history have been in the north near modern Akyab".[106]

D. G. E Hall, A History of South East Asia, New York, 1968, P. 389.
Despite claims by Hindu nationalists, the Indo-European peoples were elsewhere in 3k BCE.
The area, I think, may be too far East for the natives to have been the Meluhha (Indus Valley Culture) and Burmese speakers do not appear to have arrived that early. Better candidates may have been Austroasiatic or even Austronesian speakers.
The Rakhine language is mutually intelligible with Burmese; Sanskrit inscriptions are explained by the country being Buddhist from a relatively early date.
The Rohingya are indeed immigrants, but that, of course, doesn't excuse their treatment.

Despite claims by Hindu nationalists, the Indo-European peoples were elsewhere in 3k BCE.
The area, I think, may be too far East for the natives to have been the Meluhha (Indus Valley Culture) and Burmese speakers do not appear to have arrived that early. Better candidates may have been Austroasiatic or even Austronesian speakers.
The Rakhine language is mutually intelligible with Burmese; Sanskrit inscriptions are explained by the country being Buddhist from a relatively early date.
The Rohingya are indeed immigrants, but that, of course, doesn't excuse their treatment.
Thanks. Re your last point, the people getting it in the neck now from the Tatmadaw (Burmans) were the ones who shrugged and turned blind eyes when the Rohingya were on the receiving end. Perhaps a sweeping generalisation, but I don't recall hearing of any demonstrations in support of the Rohingya.

This is not a bad book. Dave Everett was RAEME and an Australian SAS soldier who left and joined the Karen Liberation Front in the eighties. Unfortunatlely he decided to fund raise for them by armed robbery and agravated burgalrary back in Australia where he became the countries most wanted, before ended up in HMP Perth in maximun security for a good few years. He gives a good background on the Karen situation including the history.

Dave Everett.

View attachment 561260
Yes, I've read that. Funnily enough, I'm led to believe he's not well regarded in the Swanbourne area these days.

Thanks. Re your last point, the people getting it in the neck now from the Tatmadaw (Burmans) were the ones who shrugged and turned blind eyes when the Rohingya were on the receiving end. Perhaps a sweeping generalisation, but I don't recall hearing of any demonstrations in support of the Rohingya.
Another case of "when they came for... I didn't speak".

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Dave Everett.

View attachment 561260
Thanks for the tip. Will be needing new reading material having just finished two review books.

Embassy in London 'occupied' by 'military'
Could be fun. Does it have a balcony?

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
According to that he's a Botty Shafter?

Latest Threads