Coup in China?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by bullet_catcher, Mar 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Phew, that's all right then. Back to sleep everybody.
  2. The People's Liberation Army swears allegiance to the Communist Party, not the Head of State or the State itself, so any "coup", if it happened, would probably be linked to an internal power struggle within in the Communist Party. It would almost certainly not be in support of a change of government style away from Communism.
  3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

So The Happy House Restaurant is not closing - thank feck for that!!!!
  4. The English name for Beinjing is Peking. Beijing is the pinyin Romanized phonetic for the chinese language name for the capital city "north capital". I.e. it's good propaganda by the Chinese that we are using Beijing and not Peking, it's like labeling maps Roma, Lisboa, Deutschland etc.
  5. Ah, the old Koo Gon Wong, or number 47 as it is also known. (fetching coat).
  6. Trouble with Chinese tanks is the chink in the armour.

• Like Like x 1
  7. No it ain't. Peking is the best anglophone attempt to pronounce the name in the style of the provincial Chinese we were used to associating with. It wasn't ever our word for the place.

Once the northern dialect was settled on as the standard form, Peking was about as correct as pronouncing 'London' in the style of a Geordie or Scouser.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Hmmm I stand corrected. You also pick a fight with Chris Patten, which isn't too hard. What I would say is that once we'd used Peking as an "anglicised" word for 150+ years to then move to the Pinyin is a mainland coup (pun intended). Else why use Rome or Lisbon?
  9. By that reasoning, Italians should still be using 'Londinium' rather than trying to reproduce the sound of modern standard English.

Anyway, more on topic when I get a chance. It's been a fascinating saga.

If it's been sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk then I'm probably pissed.
  10. Mulligatawny or chicken?
  11. But their handbrakes make it easy to park on slopes.
  12. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer