Coup in China?

The People's Liberation Army swears allegiance to the Communist Party, not the Head of State or the State itself, so any "coup", if it happened, would probably be linked to an internal power struggle within in the Communist Party. It would almost certainly not be in support of a change of government style away from Communism.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
So The Happy House Restaurant is not closing - thank feck for that!!!!

Maybe someone wants to change its name back to Peking.
The English name for Beinjing is Peking. Beijing is the pinyin Romanized phonetic for the chinese language name for the capital city "north capital". I.e. it's good propaganda by the Chinese that we are using Beijing and not Peking, it's like labeling maps Roma, Lisboa, Deutschland etc.

wm1965:4297750 said:
Maybe someone wants to change its name back to Peking.
The English name for Beinjing is Peking. Beijing is the pinyin Romanized phonetic for the chinese language name for the capital city "north capital". I.e. it's good propaganda by the Chinese that we are using Beijing and not Peking, it's like labeling maps Roma, Lisboa, Deutschland etc.
No it ain't. Peking is the best anglophone attempt to pronounce the name in the style of the provincial Chinese we were used to associating with. It wasn't ever our word for the place.

Once the northern dialect was settled on as the standard form, Peking was about as correct as pronouncing 'London' in the style of a Geordie or Scouser.

No it ain't. Peking is the best anglophone attempt to pronounce the name in the style of the provincial Chinese we were used to associating with. It wasn't ever our word for the place.

Once the northern dialect was settled on as the standard form, Peking was about as correct as pronouncing 'London' in the style of a Geordie or Scouser.
Hmmm I stand corrected. You also pick a fight with Chris Patten, which isn't too hard. What I would say is that once we'd used Peking as an "anglicised" word for 150+ years to then move to the Pinyin is a mainland coup (pun intended). Else why use Rome or Lisbon?

What I would say is that once we'd used Peking as an "anglicised" word for 150+ years to then move to the Pinyin is a mainland coup (pun intended). Else why use Rome or Lisbon?
By that reasoning, Italians should still be using 'Londinium' rather than trying to reproduce the sound of modern standard English.

Anyway, more on topic when I get a chance. It's been a fascinating saga.

If it's been sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk then I'm probably pissed.

It's not unprecedented. After the Wenzhou HSR collision last year, Premier Wen was incognito for nearly a week and then turned up admitting he had been hospitalised.

I very much doubt there's anything more to this than bog-standard SOP secrecy over senior officials' health. There's a rumour floating on Boxun that Xi and He Guoqiang, the head of the Central Commission for Discipline inspection, have both been injured in car accidents and speculation that these accidents were an attempted hit by Bo Xilai's supporters, but every mention I can find traces back to the same Boxun article. Normally, these rumours emerge from a variety of different internet sources more or less simultaneously, thanks to the very genuine phenomenon of 'Chinese whispers'. A single source is usually a strong indication of tinfoillery.

A second possibility has occurred to me: with the Party Congress coming up, it's possible that Xi's been grabbed by the CCDI for their own unique form of Enhanced Disclosure, to make super-secret-squirrel sure he's the right man for the top job. That would also explain the low profile He Guoqiang's been keeping of late.

If it's been sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk then I'm probably pissed.

By that reasoning, Italians should still be using 'Londinium' rather than trying to reproduce the sound of modern standard English.

Anyway, more on topic when I get a chance. It's been a fascinating saga.

Actually Londinium is Roman[Latin] who tended to speek Greek rather that Italian which is a later language. Britian was divided into Britannia Superior and Inferior but also Brittium, often confused with Bruttim which was in southern italy. The area north of the wall was Caledonia, which just happened to be where Scotland emerged.

Aaaaaand he'sbackintheroom.

I have to admit the only thing that surprised me about this affair was the passion with which the UK press seized upon the 'there must be something up' line. I've given up expecting much in the way of knowledgeable analysis from the BBC but I still expected more from Channel 4 News.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Weapons, Equipment & Rations 27
D Royal Signals 5
dogmonkey Classified Ads 4