Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coup in America? The arming of the DHS paramilitary

As I have said in other discussions of the theory of evolution, we will agree to disagree and I at least will move on to more interesting matters.

I would have thrown in a crafty "God knows where you live!" preferrably written in a gutteral northern Irish italic script there JJ!

Hespera

Old-Salt
I'm not a creationist and there's no need to write lengthy replies to me, that is unless the subject is: big game hunting, dogs, horses, or unusual sexual proclivities backed up with a phone number.

I've read the origin of species from cover to cover and found little fault with it. I can't say that about the King James Bible.

I know you are not a creationist, and I do not disagree with you about the KJB. I can't help you with big game hunting or sexual proclivities, and I never give out my phone number, but I love dogs and am a decent rider, of horses that is.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
A thought occurs to me, which is that the sort of folk who serve in the organisations under DHS mandate would probably not be 100% in sympathy with a major crackdown on the Right. They might well enthusiastically endorse a clear out of the assorted barrios and ghettos, of course.... although, thinking about it, ATF and the FBI have a certain amount of form for severely kinetic measures against folk of a religious bent and the occasional unusual family living in isolated cabins.

"I think, then, that the species of oppression by which democratic nations are menaced is unlike anything that ever before existed in the world; our contemporaries will find no prototype of it in their memories. I seek in vain for an expression that will accurately convey the whole of the idea I have formed of it; the old words despotism and tyranny are inappropriate: the thing itself is new, and since I cannot name, I must attempt to define it....

...After having thus successively taken each member of the community in its powerful grasp and fashioned him at will, the supreme power then extends its arm over the whole community. It covers the surface of society with a network of small complicated rules, minute and uniform, through which the most original minds and the most energetic characters cannot penetrate, to rise above the crowd. The will of man is not shattered, but softened, bent, and guided; men are seldom forced by it to act, but they are constantly restrained from acting. Such a power does not destroy, but it prevents existence; it does not tyrannize, but it compresses, enervates, extinguishes, and stupefies a people, till each nation is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid and industrious animals, of which the government is the shepherdÂ…" Alexis De Tocqueville

Whet

LE
I do not question there are some who rightly bear such monikers but i object to the sweeping nature of such characterizations, especially when it includes quite rational and educated people who are genuinely concerned and with good reason on many fronts about the direction their national government is going.

Surely the intelligent amongst you would do the research and realise that it should be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

Whet

LE
Ironically, if the Met Police and MI5 started buying thousands of APC's and stockpiling Billions of rounds of ammo, this site would go into meltdown as members would(rightly)point out these organisation do not have a Military role. Many people currently sneering at American, "Tin Foil Hat Wearers" and "Conspiracy Nutters" would be ranting about the Government planning to turn this country into a Fascist dictatorship and calling for armed revolution.

Hypocrisy, thy name is ARRSE.:roll:

If the Met and MI5 did so I would indeed start asking questions, given that they have no precedent of wholesale arms bearing or bimbling up to situations in warriors.

US law enforcement on the other hand does already own it's fair share of armour and armament, does it not? :roll:

A friend of mine who is a regular visitor to the southern USA gave me a bumper sticker as a souvenir of his last trip.

'The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store-NOT a government agency'

Whet

LE
Jim. I agree with a lot of your posts - not this one mucker. You can't compare the Brit police SRGs (or whatever they call themselves) to the DHS and their 3000 armoured vehicles. I've no idea what they plan on using them for - it's certainly not to prevent the millions of illegals from invading our country each year!

CityTownInfo

US Cities And Towns

States that there are 20000 ciries and towns in the US - that means that DHS has one apc per 40 major conurbations. Yep, their gunning fer all right thinkin pepple, Cletus :roll:

Hespera

Old-Salt
The problem is that in the USA the arms lobby is ****ing maffish, if the arms industry don't get thrown the odd fish then representatives could even, at some future date, be forced to live off their legal incomes! Now that would never do and so in order to create plausible demand it is sometimes necessary to create a new army.

CityTownInfo

US Cities And Towns

States that there are 20000 ciries and towns in the US - that means that DHS has one apc per 40 major conurbations. Yep, their gunning fer all right thinkin pepple, Cletus :roll:

Whet, you must stop believing everything you read on lavatory walls.
I still think you're Wolfie Smiff!

You never grasped the idea of strategy or tactics did you? Sorry, Whet, I had you confused with someone who had actually served.

They are called tourists and they spend lots of cash and help our economy.

Or are you a Dail Mail reading spouter of shite?

I sincerely hope you wrote that with your tongue firmly in your cheek Stab - which country are these illegal, cash spending, economy boosting, tourists visiting? Certainly not mine!

Really? Well for the temerity of disagreeing with some Americans on the internet that invading Iraq was a fabulous idea I was called amongst other things a racist, homsexual, Nazi storm trooper, I received weekly and sometimes daily personal messages that they hoped I died, they tried to find out where I worked so they could contact my employer, they tried to get my name, details and photograph, they called my partner a prostitute because she is Eurasian, they claimed my grandfather who was killed in Holland in 1994 serving with 30 Corp a coward and one of them claimed to be in London and wanted to "meet me in person" - Americans are all sweetness and light as long as you lick their arses and tell them how fabulous they are - they get a bit twitchy when you don't.

So your hatred of Americans & sweeping & generalised derogatory statements against them are based on the ranting of a few internet nutters?
You'd be branded a racist if you said that about some nameless minority.
I spend rather a lot of time around "gun nuts" in the US &c not a single one of them is a religious fanatic, redneck, or uneducated & ignorant bigot.
Most are professionals with degrees, doctorates or other signifiers of an above average intelligence.

So how about leaving out your irrational bias & using facts to prove your point instead?

[schnip]As to the significance of this, one is free to draw one's own conclusions taking into account the official explanation that these quantities of ammunition are primarily for training purposes.

What's interesting is that a heck of a lot of that ammunition isn't the FMJ commonly used in training; it is high grade defensive ammunition using expanding projectiles.
There's 30,000 rounds of .338LM tipped with monolithic copper expanding bullets of the Barnes/Hornady type listed in one of the procurement letters.

Hespera

Old-Salt
So your hatred of Americans & sweeping & generalised derogatory statements against them are based on the ranting of a few internet nutters?
You'd be branded a racist if you said that about some nameless minority.
I spend rather a lot of time around "gun nuts" in the US &c not a single one of them is a religious fanatic, redneck, or uneducated & ignorant bigot.
Most are professionals with degrees, doctorates or other signifiers of an above average intelligence.

So how about leaving out your irrational bias & using facts to prove your point instead?

I very much try to refrain from sweeping generalisations, and I am not condoning Deleted 20555's judgement based on the "rantings of a few Internet nutters," but isn't your statement above equally subjective? Whilst I trust that you personally know well-educated gun owners/lovers with above-average intelligence, this is undoubtedly a small sample and not indicative of all gun nuts (your words, not mine). I am sure there are plenty of people who can counter that they know gun owners who failed high school, and are tobacco-chewing, cheap beer-guzzling rednecks -- to stay within the realm of proper stereotypes. I currently work in academia in Maryland, and only one of my many colleagues (all of whom have at least a master's degree, whilst most have doctorates) owns a gun, ergo, the higher the education level the lower the level of gun ownership.

Well, a 2011 Gallup poll actually confirms that education, sex, race, and gun ownership are correlated, and it shows a statistically significant difference of 11 percentage points between gun owners without college (40%) and gun owners with college degrees (29%). Perhaps I'll have a quick look at the methodology later as this information is self-reported, but first I'll have a nice long walk with my dog and then a lovely pint of ale.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/150353/self-reported-gun-ownership-highest-1993.aspx

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Latest Threads