County and Regional Affiliation for RAC, Infantry and RA

In days gone by, it was reasonably easy to identify a Regimental affiliation to a Region or County, either based on the Title (The Gloucester Regt) or by the fact that they all spoke a certain way (15/19 being from the North East) or 1 RTR from the North West (Liverpool). It was also the case that the RA tended to post people into regional units such as 4th Regt again from the North East, and IIRC 19th Regt RA were the Highland Gunners and 40 Regt RA were the Lowland Gunners. There were also "maps" showing where the RAC/Inf/RA Regts were affiliated with

My first question is: Does the Army still try and place people into Regional Regts / Bns,
And secondly, if they do, who goes where and does anyone have any maps showing these affiliations.

Cant really afford the county Regimental system anymore due to lack of manpower and Batallions! The RRF used to have 3 Bns for 4 primary recruitment areas, but as there's now only 1 regular Bn, ..

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
There are now so few RAC regiments (nine line, I believe) spread across three disciplines (was MBT, recce and light cav, recce may have been renamed recently) that recruiting areas have become meaningless.

As you say, 15/19H were the Geordie Hussars. Merged with South Yorkshire's 13/18H to become "England's Northern Cavalry", the LD. Now there are three Light Cavalry regiments, LD, Scots DG and QDG (Welsh). Which makes LD "England's Light Cavalry". I have seen the term used semi officially.

Probably the same or similar across disciplines.

Edit. I only learned relatively recently (Mallinson, Light Dragoons?) that prior to 1958 there was no regionalisation of cavalry regiments. Indeed, prior to the Great War, a cavalryman was recruited into the Corps of Hussars, the Corps of Lancers or iirc the Corps of Dragoon Guards and might be moved between regiments within that corps at the drop of a hat if needs must.

Last edited:

ugly

LE
Indeed in 1981 when I enlisted it was into the Light Division, the Light Infantry and the division had the right to send me wherever I was needed.

Cant really afford the county Regimental system anymore due to lack of manpower and Batallions! The RRF used to have 3 Bns for 4 primary recruitment areas, but as there's now only 1 regular Bn, ..
Four regular battalions initially, but the 4th bn didn't last more than a year or two before disbandment.
I'm not up to speed on these kind've developments but are'n't 1RRF more of an East Anglian recruited mob now and Geordies go to the Yorkshire Regiment?

There are now so few RAC regiments (nine line, I believe) spread across three disciplines (was MBT, recce and light cav, recce may have been renamed recently) that recruiting areas have become meaningless.

As you say, 15/19H were the Geordie Hussars. Merged with South Yorkshire's 13/18H to become "England's Northern Cavalry", the LD. Now there are three Light Cavalry regiments, LD, Scots DG and QDG (Welsh). Which makes LD "England's Light Cavalry". I have seen the term used semi officially.

Probably the same or similar across disciplines.

Edit. I only learned relatively recently (Mallinson, Light Dragoons?) that prior to 1958 there was no regionalisation of cavalry regiments. Indeed, prior to the Great War, a cavalryman was recruited into the Corps of Hussars, the Corps of Lancers or iirc the Corps of Dragoon Guards and might be moved between regiments within that corps at the drop of a hat if needs must.
In recent theory:
1524480550251.png

In days gone by, it was reasonably easy to identify a Regimental affiliation to a Region or County, either based on the Title (The Gloucester Regt) or by the fact that they all spoke a certain way (15/19 being from the North East) or 1 RTR from the North West (Liverpool). It was also the case that the RA tended to post people into regional units such as 4th Regt again from the North East, and IIRC 19th Regt RA were the Highland Gunners and 40 Regt RA were the Lowland Gunners. There were also "maps" showing where the RAC/Inf/RA Regts were affiliated with

My first question is: Does the Army still try and place people into Regional Regts / Bns,
And secondly, if they do, who goes where and does anyone have any maps showing these affiliations.
I drove through Larkhill the other day and there was a large sign displaying "32 Regt RA - The Wessex Gunners".

Four regular battalions initially, but the 4th bn didn't last more than a year or two before disbandment.
I'm not up to speed on these kind've developments but are'n't 1RRF more of an East Anglian recruited mob now and Geordies go to the Yorkshire Regiment?
1st Bn was RNF
2nd Warwicks
3rd Royals
and the above mentioned 4th were the Lancs on the raising of the Regiment 50yrs ago today

Why in the name of God would a Geordie end up in the yorks? What an horrible thing to say

Royal Engineers or are you thinking RAOC? Indeed, maybe the Pioneers?
Did anyone ever let a Chunky near live explosives?

Dear God. The mind boggles.
I did once. On Mount Kent.

We had some chunkies helping us dig holes and move wheelbarrows.

I rewarded them by letting them help with demolition of some rocks that blocked the track up to the radar station. Under grown-up supervision by a sapper lance-jack.

Never have I seen a bunch of guys so pleased :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rewarded them by letting them help with demolition of some rocks that blocked the track up to the radar station. Under grown-up supervision by a sapper lance-jack.

I hope you were properly rewarded. The chunky dog handlers I used to stag on with were alarming people in many ways. I was a little uneasy about them having a Maglite, let alone anything lethal.

I hope you were properly rewarded. The chunky dog handlers I used to stag on with were alarming people in many ways. I was a little uneasy about them having a Maglite, let alone anything lethal.
They worked even harder afterwards...:)

I drove through Larkhill the other day and there was a large sign displaying "32 Regt RA - The Wessex Gunners".
I started in 94 Loc Regt RA who were the Kent Gunners......disbanded in '93 under options for change. Two batteries merged, stayed in Larkers and became part of 32 Regt RA.
At that time 32 were the Cheshire and Merseyside Gunners.
Both regiments had many soldiers from their affiliated regions, but also from elsewhere.
I am not from Kent, Cheshire or Merseyside.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tartan_Terrier The NAAFI Bar 4
L ACF 12
5.56mm ACF 1