Country living

still staggin

War Hero
Moved from that london to a cottage on a farm, yes the farmers do make a bloody mess and some of the stuff they spread / spray on the fields smells like bleach. But the farm house is the nearest neighbour and that's 300 yards away up the track. Only three houses in the postcode, the semi isolation suits me fine.
North Essex is a different place from the south of the county, which as mentioned earlier is really London.
I live in lincolnshire, nice and sparsely populated.

I lived in the villages between Leicester and Northampton. Convenient for nipping into Lutterworth, or Market Harborough, and keeping out of Northampton - full of Lahndun overspill, pikeys, Bosnians and asylum seeking arabs. If madam needed to go to her office in Canary Wharf she would jump on the train in Long Buckby, a well kept secret by many that what is effectively a village has a main line to the smoke.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Moved from that london to a cottage on a farm, yes the farmers do make a bloody mess and some of the stuff they spread / spray on the fields smells like bleach. But the farm house is the nearest neighbour and that's 300 yards away up the track. Only three houses in the postcode, the semi isolation suits me fine.
North Essex is a different place from the south of the county, which as mentioned earlier is really London.
Now would be a good time to start doing the postcode lottery!

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm working today, but I'll give you the rundown on our village in between finishing work and the footy starting...

I grew up in the bit of Essex inside the M25, which really is just a bit of London. Didn’t have to stray too far outside the motorway though and you could quickly find yourself in picture postcard villages, pubs on the green, narrow lanes etc. 5 or 10 miles out there was no sign of London apart from the aircraft holding overhead for Heathrow. Was 30+ years ago though, so pubs have probably all shut.

Sounds like you're talking about Great Wakering. I know it fairly well.
66061133_2515066745180946_4668598681606291456_n.jpg

Much akin to "Welcome to Basildon" really meaning "This is Basildon, and you're welcome to it."

So me an Mrs BHP decided at fer 50 0dd years of city living we would retire to the health and beauty of the country. The Cotswold's were out of our price range and the Surrey stockbroker belt wer'nt out type of people. So we ended up out in the wonderful countryside of South Essex. Well we do live in the country in a sweet bungalow in a well sought after village . The village is smashing but not chocolate box pretty, and once we signed in the the local doctors we were immediately given super TETANUS injections because the disease is endemic in the soil here.
We didint realy take heed of the warning our vendors gave us to run and hide every time we see a tractorr , after a few years we both got hay fever and the mrs now suffers from Asthma, despite a lifetime of living in North London where the air was blue and tastes of oil. It turns out the village is a "hot spot" for respiratory diseases.

Getting back to the tractors every harvest time we have a blizzard of bits of straw, dust and harvest flies. When we take down the nets and curtains to wash there always full of grit an dust which makes yore arms itch when you handle them, the cars gets covered in bits of field and if you dont wash it and yer window weekly they grow spuds. We beleive the fecking farmer kills all our seven species of bees with his sprays .

Talking of growing spuds , my beautiful box hedging which took a long time and a lot of money to get into shape was raved overnight by BOX BLIGHT, every apple on my four trees gets a worm to itself and the pears from three trees grow soot . my Plums all withered and died even the two new once I planted and the sodding pigeons eat all me cherries before they grow past green lumps , talking of pigeons they shite all over me new blue stone extended patio and destroy my rambling roses by shaking of all the flowers the magpies chase all the nice wee singing birds out of the place an all i got left is a couple of robins! Moat of the neighbours who have never left the village think that they own ALL of it .

My apricots wont grow bigger than peas and my spuds grow white stuff and worm holes . Don't even mention Clematis rot back .

You cant hear a sound some days , just the beating of you're own heart you can see a load of sky and its fantastic , in the village we even have our own bit of sky . When it looks like rain or snow the old folk tell us "nah that's not our sky , our sky is over there and its going to keep dry " and you know what they are always bloody right. We live on the not too far side of the out of town shopping and it takes us five minutes or so to get there and ten minutes to go to town where ALL the locals think that we live in the back an beyond sleep with our mothers have Webb feet and glow at night .
All the villagers moan and complain about one particular Essex councilor and then vote him back in every bloody election! Ive stopped taking the "local" paper because most of its content is about Basildon ,which as any fule noes is in another planet.

Did I mention that the village is very quiet and that people stick to themselves ? but they pop over to assist you if yer car battery is flat , youve locked yerself out or need a lift to the airport, hospital or the legion ? My Roses are of exhibition quality whilst i dont leave me front door open crime ( apart from drink driving ) is almost unheard of here , all my insurances are at least three quarters or more cheaper than living in London the buses arrive like clockwork and the doctors are pretty good as long as you tell them whats wrong with you and what meds you want .

The grandchildren loved to visit our (to them) ginormous garden and a quick trip to the seaside and adventure playground ten minutes away .
I just just love County living. I cant remember why I started this post now .

To much vino collapseo, bad weed, old age, dementia, or just getting it off your chest?

Lovely bit of descriptive prose by the way.
Mrs Sig and i + 6 sprogs moved out of that there east london in 1988, and headed 125 of your miles north, to a then little village on the west midlands -south staffordshire border. This big detached pad sits on a plot of land that is exactly 4 times bigger than the rabbit hutch house we lived in in E11. I have alluded to this on another thread. Now 33 years later, all kids gone, with rug rats of their own, just me and herself, a big garden, which is still a work in progress, and my sole responsibility, pleasure and pride. We have a very picturesque rural canal, the wyrley & Essington, just yards from our front door, and open fields behind us.

The local yokels still regard us as " that lot from london" but are much more friendly and forgiving, and life is slower and relaxed. Now both retired we now have the pleasure of 8 grandchildren, and the kids who visit, and enchant us, with a yam yam accent, as we are on the very outer edge of the black country. Over the last 10 years or so, new housing developments have sprung up on two green field sites, a mile or so away, mass produced hamster boxes, horrid, OK for starter homes for newly weds ,and future slums, thankfully not near us, although the 500 acre field just a few hundred yards along the lane has been earmarked for mass development, but that's for about 20 years into the future, we will be long gone by then.

We have toads and common green lizards living in the garden, and just about every type of bird imaginable, including sparrow hawks, buzzards, and spotted woodpeckers, along with foxes and hedgehogs. I put a small fish pond in for the kids when they were little, and now the grand kids love to sit and watch the fish. Living up here is wonderful, its quite and peaceful, bus services are many and frequent, and with a free bus, train and tram service pass, Birmingham is but 50 minutes away, and Wolverhampton only 20, and the village center, a miles walk along the canal tow path.

Driving up her is a revelation compared to the smoke, The 15 or so miles into Brum takes but 30 or so minutes, across london, that distance would take more than an hour. The M54 and M6 are on our doorstep, and north of us, is Shropshire and the staffordshire countryside, are just minutes away.

I do recommend for peace of mind, and your sanity, get the hell outa dodge, leave the rat race, and if nothing else, for your children's sanity and future prospects, MOVE OUT NOW, you know it makes sense....rodders!...be lucky.;)

Last edited:
As far as one is aware Brentwood may be in Sarf Essex, however it is not a village. I wouldn't worry about respitory ailments, you are sure to be run over by an electric scooter.
Brentwood is not in Sarf Essex but it is, however a village. They farm pensioner there.

I lived in the villages between Leicester and Northampton. Convenient for nipping into Lutterworth, or Market Harborough, and keeping out of Northampton - full of Lahndun overspill, pikeys, Bosnians and asylum seeking arabs. If madam needed to go to her office in Canary Wharf she would jump on the train in Long Buckby, a well kept secret by many that what is effectively a village has a main line to the smoke.

Home to Stanley Unwin for many years.

(I grew up in a nearby village)

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for the warning - how old is your Mrs.? just so know the approximate age to start checking...

BTW, you don't mention what rifle you have - you do have a rifle, don't you?...
The lady boss is 72, no dont have a rifel, used to have a 165 Hesh firing AVRE but.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I just love yore Sausages bro.

As far as one is aware Brentwood may be in Sarf Essex, however it is not a village. I wouldn't worry about respitory ailments, you are sure to be run over by an electric scooter.
Same detail in the Cotswolds scooters or big chelsea tractors. Watched Burford brought to a grinding halt as an old dear in twin set proceded down the high street at 5mph. Seriously unimpressed drivers en route to Stowe.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I would slit mi froat before I would take up commuting again . From Archway to Farringdon road could take up to 2 hours most days . (well Hornsey rise but Archway is a better land mark )

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for the warning - how old is your Mrs.? just so know the approximate age to start checking...

BTW, you don't mention what rifle you have - you do have a rifle, don't you?...
The lady boss is 72, no dont have a rifel, used to have a 165 Hesh firing AVRE but.
Ah Wakering, Little or Great? Much of my growing up spent in Great Wakering area and many an hour spent in the Exhibition.
Maternal side are from there but haven't been there for 30 odd years so no doubt much has changed, now an overspill for Shoebury & Southend?
Mind you two minutes walk on the Common and you could be in another world.
Interesting story regarding the Duck pond attached

Edit file too large. search for The Wakering Gun by M F Christophers
Are you familiar with the Barling Bomber ? before my time but still recollected by the locals not to be confused with the Barling Banger of course .

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
To much vino collapseo, bad weed, old age, dementia, or just getting it off your chest?

Lovely bit of descriptive prose by the way.
Mrs Sig and i + 6 sprogs moved out of that there east london in 1988, and headed 125 of your miles north, to a then little village on the west midlands -south staffordshire border. This big detached pad sits on a plot of land that is exactly 4 times bigger than the rabbit hutch house we lived in in E11. I have alluded to this on another thread. Now 33 years later, all kids gone, with rug rats of their own, just me and herself, a big garden, which is still a work in progress, and my sole responsibility, pleasure and pride. We have a very picturesque rural canal, the wyrley & Essington, just yards from our front door, and open fields behind us.

The local yokels still regard us as " that lot from london" but are much more friendly and forgiving, and life is slower and relaxed. Now both retired we now have the pleasure of 8 grandchildren, and the kids who visit, and enchant us, with a yam yam accent, as we are on the very outer edge of the black country. Over the last 10 years or so, new housing developments have sprung up on two green field sites, a mile or so away, mass produced hamster boxes, horrid, OK for starter homes for newly weds ,and future slums, thankfully not near us, although the 500 acre field just a few hundred yards along the lane has been earmarked for mass development, but that's for about 20 years into the future, we will be long gone by then.

We have toads and common green lizards living in the garden, and just about every type of bird imaginable, including sparrow hawks, buzzards, and spotted woodpeckers, along with foxes and hedgehogs. I put a small fish pond in for the kids when they were little, and now the grand kids love to sit and watch the fish. Living up here is wonderful, its quite and peaceful, bus services are many and frequent, and with a free bus, train and tram service pass, Birmingham is but 50 minutes away, and Wolverhampton only 20, and the village center, a miles walk along the canal tow path.

Driving up her is a revelation compared to the smoke, The 15 or so miles into Brum takes but 30 or so minutes, across london, that distance would take more than an hour. The M54 and M6 are on our doorstep, and north of us, is Shropshire and the staffordshire countryside, are just minutes away.

I do recommend for peace of mind, and your sanity, get the hell outa dodge, leave the rat race, and if nothing else, for your children's sanity and future prospects, MOVE OUT NOW, you know it makes sense....rodders!...be lucky.;)
Just thinking out aloud, the wife has been getting chest infections every 3/4 weeks this year and I was just thinking out a loud . I used to know the Lord of Cannock he also wrote a book on masonic VC winners but he forgot to include mi two .

No Boots

Old-Salt

Are you familiar with the Barling Bomber ? before my time but still recollected by the locals not to be confused with the Barling Banger of course .
Not something I recollect as I left the area around that time to live in proper countryside ;) but it doesn't surprise me as they were some, how shall I put it, unsavoury old time inhabitants - an uncle being one who still lives there.
I will have to have a wander around next time I visit Sarfend to see what has changed, I bet I can't go scrumping at the end of North Street or collect walnuts from the tree around the back of the co-op!