Countries Britain Hasn't Invaded

I don't understand the thinking behind colonialism, the more you develop a colony with education and infrastructure the more the natives will be empowered to throw you out. Its a no win situation, how did they think it would ever last ?

Luxembourg: diidn't we invade during WWI / WWII?

Did we invade Denmark? There's Churchill Park in Copenhagen with a statue of Churchill

Niamac

GCM
Apparently as high as 22

Andorra
Belarus
Bolivia
Burundi
Central African Republic
Chad
Congo (Republic of)
Guatemala
Ivory Coast
Kyrgyzstan
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Mali
Marshall Islands
Monaco
Mongolia
Paraguay
Sao Tome and Principe
Sweden
Tajikistan
Uzbekistan
Vatican City
That's a hell of a To-do List.

I don't understand the thinking behind colonialism, the more you develop a colony with education and infrastructure the more the natives will be empowered to throw you out. Its a no win situation, how did they think it would ever last ?
Britain wanted its Colonies to be completely self governing and independent - with the exception of Foreign policy where they would do as we wanted -In return if a neighbour got a bit antsy the Mother country would send help.

This was well underway by the mid 1800s with colonies being largely responsible for their own defence.

I effect the Common wealth was supposed to replace empire with self governing Dominions-

Awol

LE
Britain wanted its Colonies to be completely self governing and independent - with the exception of Foreign policy where they would do as we wanted -In return if a neighbour got a bit antsy the Mother country would send help.

This was well underway by the mid 1800s with colonies being largely responsible for their own defence.

I effect the Common wealth was supposed to replace empire with self governing Dominions-
I think it’s telling that the nations of the Empire were so traumatised by our wicked colonialism that, almost without exception, they chose to remain under our wing by joining the Commonwealth.

NSP

LE
I think it’s telling that the nations of the Empire were so traumatised by our wicked colonialism that, almost without exception, they chose to remain under our wing by joining the Commonwealth.
It's also quite interesting to read the criticisms of the Empire and compare that to other European powers.

The Belgians in the Congo were ******* horrifying. I'd rather have taken my chances as an Indian under British rule than a Congolese under the Belgians.

We should ban anyone from former non white colonies from immigration to the UK to prevent them getting upset by seeing reminders of colonial era .

endure

GCM
"Countries Britain Hasn't Invaded"

The obvious question is 'why not'?

It's also quite interesting to read the criticisms of the Empire and compare that to other European powers.

The Belgians in the Congo were ******* horrifying. I'd rather have taken my chances as an Indian under British rule than a Congolese under the Belgians.
As a male in reasonably good health ie capable of working - I would have preferred my chances as a Jew in the 3rd Reich than as a congolese gent under Léopold's regime

Latest Threads