Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Countering The Challenge of Conspiracy Theories

Yokel

LE
People seem to love a conspiracy - why? I have always considered that it is because people getting hold of an idea, and are reluctant to let go of it. Or tht they find it hard to imagine that things are as simple or obvious as they are, or that they find it hard to accept that they do not understand.

Patrick Shroder from Chatham House has recently written about the phenomena.

The flames conspiracy theories are fanned by those who generally do not wish well for society,

1613081873359.png

Dread

LE
Perhaps it's because many of them prove to be true? Just a few off the bat: Heath lying to the UK electorate about the aims of joining the EEC (or whatever the EU was called that year), Porton Down scientists "researching a flu vaccine" injecting soldiers with deadly or debilitating levels of nerve and blood agents, same scientists releasing anthrax on the Central Line to see what happened to the commuters using the line that day, +5,000 "white trash" girls from poor backgrounds getting raped by Pakistani gangs and the victims' pleas for help being met by silence, threats of being charged with racism, thousands of people being killed by "angelic" NHS nurses every year (or do you think Mid Staffs was a one-off?), etc, etc, etc, etc.

Perhaps it's because the quality of the mainstream media is so woefully crap and transparently biased?

Perhaps it's because the quality of those who purport to lead our political world are so mendacious?

People seem to love a conspiracy - why? I have always considered that it is because people getting hold of an idea, and are reluctant to let go of it. Or tht they find it hard to imagine that things are as simple or obvious as they are, or that they find it hard to accept that they do not understand.

Patrick Shroder from Chatham House has recently written about the phenomena.

The flames conspiracy theories are fanned by those who generally do not wish well for society,
The basics of conspiracy is you have an 'Event' and many people find it difficult to accept the immediate narrative, which is usually rushed after the event and the tidy and slick presentation sold as fact, is often full of odd inconsistencies and the facts are still a little shaky.

The next state of a conspiracy is the denial by authorities to even look at the evidence again and that denial fuels the conspiracy. I've seen so many conspiracies, even the crazier ones have some grains of truth and been allowed to fester because someone in authority made a mistake and in a desire to protect that person, it fuels the crazier conspiracies.

There is an excellent book I am going through at the moment, building on the 1972 paper on The Cultic Milieu.

The lure of forgotten or forbidden knowledge is as old as humanity.

Essentially you simply need a symbol and a scapegoat, and you have a movement or belief.

Michael Barkun writes on Conspiracy Culture in the USA, and was a tactical advisor to the FBI brought on board after the Waco catastrophe to help inform dealing with "emergent religious issues".

He rather helpfully suggests three typologies;

• Event Conspiracies (9/11 was a false flag, etc)
  • Systemic Conspiracies (Jews control international finance to control the world),
  • Superconspiracy Theories (Bolting things together, bit like David Icke).
From the need to see witches in our neighbours, to Zionist pigeons overflying our territory (favourite of mine that one); sadly the need to find meaning via conspiracy is a function of our human need for religiosity.

Please note, I separate this from "information operations", generally conceived of as -

• Dis-information. Information that is false and deliberately created to harm a person, social group, organization or country.
  • Mis-information. Information that is false, but not created with the intention of causing harm.
  • Mal-information. Information that is based on reality, used to inflict harm on a person, organization or country.
This can either be overt (said by a government), grey (said by state controlled media), or black (introduced covertly into an information environment).

The obvious new method for our time is the acceleration of information, by modern communications tech - and our old adversary, The Internet.

Well worth reading is

Generally, be wary when you see the following drawn from the above paper.

Distinctive Features of the Contemporary Model for Russian Propaganda
1. High-volume and multichannel
2. Rapid, continuous, and repetitive
3. Lacks commitment to objective reality
4. Lacks commitment to consistency.

Perhaps it's because the quality of the mainstream media is so woefully crap and transparently biased?

Perhaps it's because the quality of those who purport to lead our political world are so mendacious?
I think you're pretty close with these two. I did read somewhere that for some it's because they simply can't accept that no-one is actually in control of some of the stuff that happens.

I was once given some advice that if you meet one, you should just keep top trumping them.

Conspiraloon: I don't believe that NASA landed on the moon.
You: You believe in the Moon?

I think you're pretty close with these two. I did read somewhere that for some it's because they simply can't accept that no-one is actually in control of some of the stuff that happens.

I was once given some advice that if you meet one, you should just keep top trumping them.

That's no moon - it's a space station!

I agree with you Tappet films and media have created the myth that everything is under control by "someone" We look at our tax bill and think ......it must be supporting an efficient and protective infrastructure for our nation:) Surely......and if it isn't then what are we paying for?:)

Perhaps it's because many of them prove to be true?
But many are demonstrably false yet still have currency, such as:
Danger posed by vaccines
Flat Earth
9/11
Q
Coronavirus is a mild case of the sniffles
Coronavirus is caused by 5G
Moon landings
World is run by lizard people
The Holocaust never happened

In most cases it seems to be people displaying the power of their will by defying reality.

I have gone there - there was a Yank spouting off all sorts of crap on FB. So I countered that she HAD to be part of the Illuminati and that America doesn’t actually exist. All those people with funny accents, doing stupid things accepting that their kids dying was less important than their gun rights - as for the US military, I had never met any nor had any of my friends (utter bollox of course).

She went absolutely librarian poo - I just kept calling her on everything she said using the arguments she was using. It got hilarious.

The worst one is that insulation cladding spreads fires .
I mean , honestly ! Who comes up with this stuff

Mr R St Gobain
C/O Celotex House
Rochdale

Dread

LE
But many are demonstrably false yet still have currency, such as:
Danger posed by vaccines
Flat Earth
9/11
Q
Coronavirus is a mild case of the sniffles
Coronavirus is caused by 5G
Moon landings
World is run by lizard people
The Holocaust never happened

In most cases it seems to be people displaying the power of their will by defying reality.
Vaccines do pose a danger. Every single medical product carries risk. The problem is that too many people are too stupid to rationalise the risk balance: "there is a 0.002% chance of brain damage by getting injected with this vaccine, against a 45% chance of dying if I catch the disease, which I will if not vaccinated because it is endemic where I live".

The world is run by Lizard People (note the capitalisation: I ask you to show some respect to your overlords). I know because I am one.

Ask @Higgs_bosun : he can prove to you the Shoah never happened (the lying little anti-Semitic cünt that he is).

Remember: there is no spoon.

Perhaps it's because many of them prove to be true? Just a few off the bat: Heath lying to the UK electorate about the aims of joining the EEC (or whatever the EU was called that year), Porton Down scientists "researching a flu vaccine" injecting soldiers with deadly or debilitating levels of nerve and blood agents, same scientists releasing anthrax on the Central Line to see what happened to the commuters using the line that day, +5,000 "white trash" girls from poor backgrounds getting raped by Pakistani gangs and the victims' pleas for help being met by silence, threats of being charged with racism, thousands of people being killed by "angelic" NHS nurses every year (or do you think Mid Staffs was a one-off?), etc, etc, etc, etc.

" thousands of people being killed by "angelic" NHS nurses every year (or do you think Mid Staffs was a one-off?) "
Has the FBI ever published a study on how many actual murdering psychos there are in the medical profession as a percentage ?
We hold a few records in the UK

There is an excellent book I am going through at the moment, building on the 1972 paper on The Cultic Milieu.

The lure of forgotten or forbidden knowledge is as old as humanity.

Essentially you simply need a symbol and a scapegoat, and you have a movement or belief.

Michael Barkun writes on Conspiracy Culture in the USA, and was a tactical advisor to the FBI brought on board after the Waco catastrophe to help inform dealing with "emergent religious issues".

He rather helpfully suggests three typologies;

• Event Conspiracies (9/11 was a false flag, etc)
  • Systemic Conspiracies (Jews control international finance to control the world),
  • Superconspiracy Theories (Bolting things together, bit like David Icke).
From the need to see witches in our neighbours, to Zionist pigeons overflying our territory (favourite of mine that one); sadly the need to find meaning via conspiracy is a function of our human need for religiosity.

Please note, I separate this from "information operations", generally conceived of as -

• Dis-information. Information that is false and deliberately created to harm a person, social group, organization or country.
  • Mis-information. Information that is false, but not created with the intention of causing harm.
  • Mal-information. Information that is based on reality, used to inflict harm on a person, organization or country.
This can either be overt (said by a government), grey (said by state controlled media), or black (introduced covertly into an information environment).

The obvious new method for our time is the acceleration of information, by modern communications tech - and our old adversary, The Internet.

Well worth reading is

Generally, be wary when you see the following drawn from the above paper.
The problem with Berkun's analysis is it ignores the fact that the authorities, including academia aren't above believing in conspiracy themselves. When authority finds itself challenged, it can become paranoid and see ALL opposition as linked together and the most elaborate networks can be created by creative minds (see Impeachment).

Waco led to Timothy McVeigh and the two events are entirely separate, but are linked, just as the loon who shot our MP and the links to the far right, were established. At the core, the idea you can control events, or turn back the tides(see King Canute) by interdicting those separate strands is a chimera and Berkun is wrong.

Cyberhacker

Old-Salt
The term conspiracy theory has become a term to dismiss any challenge to the official narrative.

Yes, some are more bizarre than others, but not all are false.

endure

GCM
same scientists releasing anthrax on the Central Line to see what happened to the commuters using the line that day,
Untrue according to the Graun

"This really happened. But the two men weren't terrorists but government scientists. And the spores weren't anthrax spores, but a harmless micro-organism designed to mimic clandestine sabotage with anthrax."

Dread

LE
Untrue according to the Graun

"This really happened. But the two men weren't terrorists but government scientists. And the spores weren't anthrax spores, but a harmless micro-organism designed to mimic clandestine sabotage with anthrax."

From your Daily Mail article, the spores were from the anthrax family, not anthrax.

That would be like the Daily Mail reporting that you were reckless and irresponsible to be keeping as a pet a member of the Lion family, when all you had was a domestic cat.

Latest Threads