Counterfeit Monster Energy Drink

Ciggie

GCM
I regularly drink Monster Green Energy Drink. I have noticed that 2 supermarkets in the same area of Barcelona, franchised from a company called Condis by Indians who clearly know each other, have been selling Monster Green covered in Polish. I have been assured by friends who work at another Condis on the other side of town that Condis do not obtain stock from Poland. The ringpull end is fundamentally and obviously differently designed, the metal of the tin is thinner and easily crushable and, inevitably, the contents do not taste like Monster. Knowing (a) the Polish and their pechant for criminal activity, and (b) many Indian shopkeepers and their love of chiselling I have no doubt that this is counterfeit. I have watched it going on for over a year so this is no flash in the pan job. Various things, not least Covid-Bullshit, have got in the way of me doing something about it, but by accident I bought one the other day and it made me finally decide to do something. Fake clothing or watches or footwear, whilst not 'OK' are far less dangerous than beveriges and foodstuffs. Just sent an email to let Monster know...perhaps they already do but I doubt it if these things are still on the shelves and will report the matter to the Guarda Civil or whoever the relevant police department is. Has anyone else encountered this anywhere else? I have a feeling, knowing the Polish/ central European mafia that this may well be an international scam. As I said, fake consumables are far more frightening and far less publicised than any other kind of fakery. Keep your eyes peeled in general...

Serves you right for drinking shite , very little is worse than energy drinks for your health other than meths.

Would there be any point ? Cigarettes and vodka, yes because they are making a few quid . Are you really going to make any money on a £1.50 drink ?

Whining Civvy

War Hero
Would there be any point ? Cigarettes and vodka, yes because they are making a few quid . Are you really going to make any money on a £1.50 drink ?
Depends what pi$$ you put in the can instead and how many suckers you can get to buy it.

You'd be better off reporting it to the genuine manufacturer, I suspect their lawyers will do a better job of hounding the ferals than the cops ever could.

Ciggie

GCM
Do you have any idea how popular Monster Green is? How little it no doubt costs to make a taste similar but content wildly different substitute? There is obviously a factory churning the things out somewhere in the Polish potato savannah. A few eurocents profit on it's own aint mmuch, but multiply by millions...

Ciggie

GCM
Do you have any idea how popular Monster Green is? How little it no doubt costs to make a taste similar but content wildly different substitute? There is obviously a factory churning the things out somewhere in the Polish potato savannah. A few eurocents profit on it's own aint mmuch, but multiply by millions...
Depends what pi$$ you put in the can instead and how many suckers you can get to buy it.

You'd be better off reporting it to the genuine manufacturer, I suspect their lawyers will do a better job of hounding the ferals than the cops ever could.
As I said, first step was to mail Monster from their official website. waiting for a reply.

triggerigger

War Hero
Fake Heineken in China has poisoned many people. Fake beer is quite a big thing along with all the other fake crap and gutter oil.

If there’s any money to be made at all, then it will be counterfeited - particularly on high-volume sales items.
The more popular an item is, the less chance there is of a purchaser spotting a problem.
I fully agree with the OP. I spent 25 years in the anti-counterfeit business but never, never in the luxury-goods field, only in pharma, booze, food and tobacco sectors where there is a direct danger to health and where, effectively, all evidence, apart from packaging, disappears down the throat.
The OP should purchase a few samples of the suspect product, take photos complete with a receipt, seal the samples in a bag with the receipt (chain of evidence) and contact Corporate Security at the manufacturer, not the complaints department.
I have no knowledge of this particular company but have written what have become pretty standard Corporate anti-counterfeit and illicit trade policies, guidelines and standards.

Ciggie

GCM
If there’s any money to be made at all, then it will be counterfeited - particularly on high-volume sales items.
The more popular an item is, the less chance there is of a purchaser spotting a problem.
I fully agree with the OP. I spent 25 years in the anti-counterfeit business but never, never in the luxury-goods field, only in pharma, booze, food and tobacco sectors where there is a direct danger to health and where, effectively, all evidence, apart from packaging, disappears down the throat.
The OP should purchase a few samples of the suspect product, take photos complete with a receipt, seal the samples in a bag with the receipt (chain of evidence) and contact Corporate Security at the manufacturer, not the complaints department.
I have no knowledge of this particular company but have written what have become pretty standard Corporate anti-counterfeit and illicit trade policies, guidelines and standards.
Can you pm me any other pertinent information. I have to admit I am not over happy with the idea of passing this on to the Spanish cops. I did consider informing our chaps, but, well, it's in Spain. Any more useful suggestions as to how to progress muchg appreciated. Ta in advance.

Spain is a major problem area in all sorts of consumable sectors, not least because of a degree of complicity in some authorities.
I won’t go into details here.
PM me the manufacturer’s details, and I’ll see how this can be progressed, as it should be.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
My eyes glazed over after the first few lines. Think I need a hit of Red Bull ...

Does it still do the job of keeping you on your feet when you've had no sleep for two days, so as better to enjoy the fatigue hallucinations? If so then don't grass them up, you're saving money on your trip.

Latest Threads