Council tax

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by danny842003, Apr 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I have just started a year long course for promotion and heard a dit that as I am a full time student I can get an exemption of council tax as I own my own property which I live in alone. To me this all sounds a bit to good to be true this is the quote from .gov

    You’ll usually be considered a full-time student for Council Tax purposes if:
    you are enrolled to attend a course of education lasting for at least one academic or calendar year - and which you are normally required to attend for at least 24 weeks out of the year and study for at least 21 hours per week during term time
    you’re under 20 and your course leads to a qualification up to (but not above) A level standard or equivalent - as long as it lasts for more than three months and involves more than 12 hours of study per week
    If you’re unsure, check with your local council.

    My course gives me an NVQ level 3 and a C&G qualification which i cant remember the number of. Just wondered what anyone else makes of this.
  2. Oh just to add I live on camp during the week, not sure if that would make a difference.
  3. Put in an application to the local authority for student exemption then, and see if they accept it.
  4. Ring your council in the County where the property is and ask them :)
  5. One problem.. you still draw a wage & therefore employed fulltime by the Army. Cant see them going for it but theres no harm in calling your local council & trying your luck.

  6. Forgot to add... Regarding your property not being used during the week.. I,m afraid its bad news there too. I left a property empty for about 2 years & to qualify for any CT exemption it had to be unfurnished & then its only a 50% discount. Thereafter you pay the going rate EXCLUDING the 25% single person discount which you wont qualify for as you,ll already have the 50% unoccupied property discount. It really is a rip off. This is what I found in my little corner of Kent.. but again call your council & find out. Good luck.

  7. walkyrie

    walkyrie Old-Salt Book Reviewer

    Just to add to the LoneTree's comments - down here in the West Country you pay 0% for the first 6 months for an unoccupied property, and then full whack thereafter. As above: call the council - its always worth a blag.
  8. Just got off the phone to the council and they say i get 100% discount. Asked my course details etc. Said as long as your studying 21 hours a week towards the qualifications all they need is a letter from the school. And the civilian staff here are handing them out to us next week.
    Apparently it makes no odds if you are employed or not. Im pretty happy seen as my pay has dropped quite a bit being here.
  9. I can confirm that you can indeed get a student council tax discount of 100%, as long as you meet the criteria, i.e. minimum number of hours per week, length of course etc.

    One point to note though; when I applied for the discount, the 'Letter of Registration' for the course was not acceptable as proof I was on the course, even though it had all the required details. Apparently I could have signed up for the course but never attended! What my council requested from the University was a 'Student Council Tax Discount Certificate', and once I had this the discount was backdated to the beginning of the course.

    Well worth the hassle of dealing with the council, as this has saved me about 1K. Better in my pocket than some sponging work shy Chav, or illegal immigrant; and it makes up for the 14+ years I've been paying it while I was abroad.
  10. The paperwork should be waiting for me at home this weekend. Getting something from course manager this week, he says he has done quite a lot so he must know the ins and outs.
    Yeah its a good feeling to know some chav is getting a grand less of my money this year :)
  11. Just an update the spoke to the council today and they have accepted my application and I wont pay council tax until the course finishes and I get about £200 back from when the course started. Worth a try if you are on a year long course get an advanced apprenticeship from it.