Council Tax

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by soprano54, Nov 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone tried to get a discount on their Council Tax for the fact that they're only home at weekends?

2. Yes, cheeky bastards generally.

3. I asked about it when I was living in the Mess during the week and only travelling to my house some weekends. I also tried to get a discount for the 6 months I was deployed on Operations. In both instances they replied that I didn’t qualify for any kind of discount and I had to pay the full whack.

Yes, and while I was living in the mess I still had to pay CILOCT!

I wrote a nice letter to my MP from Iraq and he replied with a ‘I don’t give a f*ck.’ The council have told you no already. (The fact he was later exposed as an expenses cheat still grates on me to this day)

Labour council and Labour MP. Say no more.

Meanwhile scumbag benefit cheats and the lazy who can’t be bothered to find work get their Council Tax paid for them. Isn’t Britain great?

4. Yeah thats the same answer I'm getting, cheers!

5. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

In all fairness on your wages you could pay mine as well.

6. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Just pay them at their own game tell them it's unoccupied your only in it at the weekends how are they going to know?

7. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Is the boss living in the shed.

8. A couple of questions spring to mind:

Are you married or single?

Why can't you sell up and buy nearer to where you work?

Why can't you take no for an answer?

9. IIRC

You can get a 50% discount if it is not your primary residence and then another 50% if it is vacant AND UNFURNISHED for more than 6 months of the year (total of 75% discount) but that's it.

What you have to remember is that you have decided to buy a “second home” so you are subject to the same laws as everyone else.

A little consolation (very little) when you reach 37 you no longer pay CILOT or accommodation charges!

10. Ive been told by my local council that i can't get a 25% discount because when i leave the army i would go back to my original residence and even though i'm not married the council regard me as married when it comes to council tax so i have to pay full whack. Is this right tha tmy missus cannot claim for single person occupancy because 25% of 140 quid is still worth getting a discount on.

I start ATR this sunday.

11. <QUOTE>I wrote letter to my MP from Iraq and he replied with a ‘I don’t give a f*ck.’ The council have told you no already. (The fact he was later exposed as an expea nice nses cheat still grates on me to this day)[/FONT]
    </QUOTE>

Prove it

12. I thought members of HM Army (sod the navy & air farce) seriously got a discount for thatvery reason, at least where my home is. Might be worth ringing a few more councils and see what their policy is on this matter.

Never thought I end up giving you advice one day?

Whilst, I have your attention I having a few problems with my work tickets and with DE wanting to spray some stuff to keep the mossie's down, can you help?