Council Tax

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by goatbagthedruid, Apr 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. 'A friend of mine' :oops: received a Council Tax bill for 'their' quarter the other day, 'they' opened it by (genuine) mistake and saw that the MoD has a 100% rebate on the building. This leads me to ask, on 'their' behalf, where does the Council Tax 'they' pay every month go to if it's not to the Council? :?

    Answers on the internet to: Goatbagthedruid's mate etc.

    'My friend' has kept a copy of the bill as well. :banned:

  2. I stand to be corrected but is it not a Charge in Lieu of Council Tax because the MOD get a rebate, and doesn't it go straight back into the MOD pot after you've had it deducted from your salary at source? :?:
  3. according to Hansard the MoD pays it to the local authorities

    "Derek Twigg: All service accommodation in England, Scotland and Wales is formally exempt from the payment of council tax but the Ministry of Defence pays instead ..(CILOCT) to local authorities. CILOCT is broadly equivalent to the amount of tax that would otherwise be due .. These are agreed annually with individual authorities."
  4. Fantastic - question answered - I have learnt something today!

    Many thanks.

  5. You also pay CILOT whether you are in Brunei, Canada, Germany etc.